• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an ace for you?

What is an ace?

• Total voters
I also count an Ace and a Hole in One as the same thing. And it has to be the first shot you take off the tee or else it's just a good practice shot.

So far of all the terms I've seen used itt, "Practice Ace" hits the mark best. It tells you everything you need to know.

Thanks for the clear picture. I wanted to be sure that my view on the topic was right. What for you might be cristal clear, because of the much more existent disc golf culture you live in, it was not for me.

The ace vs. hole-in-one distinction was completely new to me. Wikipedia explains them as synonyms. The page is even named: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_in_one

Because they are.
That other stuff, like David speaks below is in the person's own mind. See Steve West above also. Some people's education have them misunderstanding what "one" means.

Put me in the minority, sort of.....

I say an ace counts when counted by whoever is doing the counting.

Outside of tournaments, organized contests, and side bets, there's no official registry or prizes to be won, and frankly, I don't care about anyone else's ace list. Count your cubby aces. Or only count throws over 350'. Or stick 2 markers on the ground 40' from a basket for a temporary tee, throw in from there and count it. Makes no difference to me.

Uh, DC, no. And, well, as much as I respect you, David Sauls, all I can say is that by the same reasoning you can count your internet max distance as well.

Warning, Back In The Day story to follow:

The rule for foot faults when teeing off use to be a warning and re-throw for the first infraction. During a PDGA tournament at Mt Airy in Cin. (original layout most today don't know about) Dave Greenwell was called for a foot fault on hole #2. So he had to throw a second shot off the tee because the first did not count.

His 2nd shot from the tee went in the basket for a recorded 1 on the official scorecard.

:popcorn:

What a great story!
* tips cap to Mr. Greenwell*

I can only imagine how ugly things might get if the opposite happens:
Player A throws tee shot.
Player B calls a foot fault while disc is in the air.
Shot ends up in basket.
Ace pot has grown to over $1K.
Melee ensues.

Uh, DC, no. And, well, as much as I respect you, David Sauls, all I can say is that by the same reasoning you can count your internet max distance as well.

I count my elevation-assisted distance. Give me a big enough hill, and I can clear 300'.

Unlike my ace list, I get called out for that next time I face a 220' water carry.

Allow me to present a scenario...
You drive a legitimate par 5 hole and with the help of some wind and a couple trees you are 150 feet from the basket. Do you start throwing your bag from your lie and add every shot that goes in to your albatross totals?

You drive a legitimate par 5 hole and with the help of some wind and a couple trees you are 150 feet from the basket. Do you start throwing your bag from your lie and add every shot that goes in to your albatross totals?

Why wouldn't you? If nothing from your bag goes in, start throwing disc from the next player's bag. And if you still can't get it done with a second bag of discs, mark the lie using GPS, and see if you can get the job done another day.

How often do these opportunities come along?

Allow me to present this scenario....

Someone somewhere does exactly that, and inflates his albatross total.

I'm unaffected.

There's a vaguely recognized term for the first thing you describe

It's called a cubby ace. They're cool and all, but they're not true aces. True aces can only result your first shot from the tee area on a given hole. Though, what I find to be a better area for debate:

What if, say, you're playing a 9er (hell, an 18er!), decide to play through it 3 or 4 times because it's the only course around that's open and any good, and damnit, you're going to get your fill of disc golf. On the first shot you take from a given hole, you stick it in the basket, but it happens on your second or third play through the course, does it still count?* I say yes, but I could see at least defensible rationale behind saying that's a no.

*This exact scenario has never actually happened to me, but has come very close to happening on more than a few occasions. Every lifetime ace I have is a 1st shot at a hole AND the first time I played that hole that day