• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats your favorite putter?

Billym said:
T-Bird said:
180 Star Mako
$$$
Good luck with that.
172-175 Soft Wizard; one new one very seasoned.

Why would it be any worse than any other putting device?
I have tried them all. My Mako goes where I aim it. I also like the feel of the extra weight. Makes it easier to predict/control and less likely to get pushed around by the wind.
So why not?

I must throw weird then. All of the Rocs, Aviars, Magnets, etc.... that I have thrown fade (on a putt).
Not much, but a little and it gets worse the farther away I get so I have to start calculating a fade/hyzer and cheating to the right (and then often missing to the right or left because I did not compensate correctly). The Mako feels more like a "regular Frisbee" to me and I can just throw it right at the chains.
If people often use putters in midrange situations why not the reverse?
It does not seem very different physically to a putter. Slightly less rounded rim is all.

People disc down to putters for more accuracy. If a magnet is fading out more than a mako on longer putts for you it is your form, a magnet has much less fade than a mako. It is also allowed to aim right of your target and play the fade on long putts. Every one does it.

Maybe it's the extra weight of the Mako that causes me to put more spin on it?
I dunno but for whatever reason with the Mako I can eliminate the whole left/right adjustment thing and just focus on the chains. Won my 1st tourney last Saturday using the Mako for anything under 200' or so, including putting.
I will see if I can find some 180 putters and see if I get the same results!

172 champ rhyno inside the circle champ aero 175 out side the circle.

T-Bird said:
I must throw weird then. All of the Rocs, Aviars, Magnets, etc.... that I have thrown fade (on a putt).
Not much, but a little and it gets worse the farther away I get so I have to start calculating a fade/hyzer and cheating to the right (and then often missing to the right or left because I did not compensate correctly). The Mako feels more like a "regular Frisbee" to me and I can just throw it right at the chains.
If people often use putters in midrange situations why not the reverse?
It does not seem very different physically to a putter. Slightly less rounded rim is all.
id try a disc like a Sonic or Rattler if you wanna putt with a frisbee, as your game develops i can just about guarantee you will notice the shortcomings of putting with a mid (longer blow bys on misses, having to throw too hard to get a straighter line.etc.etc.etc)

and the best putter ever is the D Magnet

I also like heavier putters, at close range it feels more like throwing a flat rock into the basket, and throwing rocks is easy. The Mako overall feels like a fast putter to me, so the only reason against using it I can think of is that it's a large radius disc, which might mean something, I don't know. If it works, use it.

Mo' fucking d mags in various stages of wear. Beat to shit, middle school, and brand new.

My favorite is the challenger. I like D and Stiff Soft Challengers. They beat into beautiful straight flying putters with little fade. The lack of glide bugged me for a while, but now I am use to it and use it to my advantage. I do not have to worry about over shooting a putt, the challenger slows down and drops. I can drive them out to 250ft, so they cover a large gap of distance for my game. And Cam Todd uses them.

All you guys want straight putters, and don't throw the APX?

That's just silly.

Danforth said:
discspeed said:
Shouldn't this thread be called "what do you putt with"? Unless someone has a favorite but uses something else. :?

I use the Ion from 0-300'.

What happened to your love for the Voodoo?

The Voodoo is a great putter...The Ion was designed almost identically in profile to the Voodoo, which is why I like it. The thing I like about the Voodoo (even more than the straight flight) the most is the round feel in the hand. The Ion I feel actually improves on the flight of the Voodoo. It glides better and is slightly more stable, especially on the low speed end. It is also more gyroscopic (weight on the outside of the rim) which smooths out any OAT that I sometimes have on my putts. It is also slightly lower profile and the undermold part actually makes it a shallower grip that I also prefer. Aside from all of that, the guys making the Ion are super cool and dedicated to innovation. They are from MI like me, are totally into science (like me), and obviously share many of my tastes in discs. After I tested the Ion and was blown away, I contacted them and offered to test their discs if they wanted to sponsor me in that respect. They agreed and have sent/are sending me discs to test, use, and demo for anyone interested. Couple this with the fact that I have some decent reasons to not want to support Gateway (political and semi-personal, and no I don't think it is my place to discuss these things on the internet) and I really have no reason to keep throwing the Voodoo. I must say though, if the Ion had not been released, I'd still be putting with it.

Glow Aviar. Was throwing a Ringer, but for the hell of it I wanted to try something that's more deep dish, so in came the Aviar and I'm really happy with it. Lots of glide.

Also- if I were to get a replacement, but dropped the glow part, which Aviar do I get?

SkaBob said:
All you guys want straight putters, and don't throw the APX?

That's just silly.

Any difference between old APX's and new ones?

IdahoLefty said:
i use CT challengers for 50 and in. and a swirl apx for my up shots and long putts.

I must be your polar opposite.

Challengers are my drivers.
Reefs I'm working in the 50 and in.

Flipflat said:
Glow Aviar. Was throwing a Ringer, but for the hell of it I wanted to try something that's more deep dish, so in came the Aviar and I'm really happy with it. Lots of glide.

Also- if I were to get a replacement, but dropped the glow part, which Aviar do I get?

Ching. 10x, 11x

Those are the money Aviars.

Latest posts