• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats your headwind driver?

I use a Pro Starfire that is extremely stable for some reason.

I will continue to use it until it starts heading to the dark side from trees and what not...

I concur I have begun to really like the performance of my pro starfires into the wind. They dont quite do as well as a brand new dx destroyer, but once that destroyer beats in a little it will flip on me.

for lighter winds beat-up 175g Star TeeRex
for heavy winds a new 175g Star TeeRex

Seeing a lot of Predators out there looks like i might have to pick one up and try it.

Anybody have some under-stable discs they throw in the wind?

Try a pred, it's not as overstable as a firebird but is considerably longer and can handle any wind. The only thing the FB does better is overhands.

Max weight Star Xcal...although I have had it for a while and it is starting to get a little flippy in the headwinds when it is really blowing

I use a Z Pred or Z Force into a headwind, depending on the distance I want. Force flies a little further, typically. I live in Oklahoma, so a 5mph wind is a very good day. Typically we're playing in about 10mph and there are many days we're playing in 20+. Both of those discs fly great in those conditions.

I don't use any understable plastic into headwinds, though I do in tailwinds. It depends on the amount of wind, though. If the wind isn't too strong, I'll use a Katana or Surge depending on the distance I want. For the REALLY bad wind days, I'm throwing an Avenger SS.

Seeing a lot of Predators out there looks like i might have to pick one up and try it.

Anybody have some under-stable discs they throw in the wind?

i suggest you buy a Z pred. for some reason its more versaitile than the other plastics. imo.

back in the day i used to throw a valkyrie into a headwind....lol....thats back when the valkyrie was the greatest thing since sliced bread. i couldnt thow a firebird for #$%^ back then.

A heavier disc will generally be more overstable and cut through the wind more than a lighter disc. 5 MPH won't affect many discs. You may have to hyzer it a little and throw a little lower than usual. 10 MPH or more, I use a 167 Star Boss. Can still throw it flat and it is still really overstable even though it's lighter. Stonger winds, I use a 174 Star Xcaliber. Good glide and won't turn over.

Used to be my Boss, till it smacked a concrete slab at full speed. now its either my Xcal or my Destroyer. If its really windy, Champion Firebird. If that flips over I give up.

175 Eco-Xcal with a big dome in light headwinds.
175 CFR Max for stronger stuff.