• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

WOTI

Bogey Member
I'm pretty new to the sport and have realized that there is a solid dg following from MN to MI and IN to IA. Obviously the west coast has a lot of players and the south east as well. But where would you consider the disc golf "Mecca" or "Meccas" of the world?

I'm pretty new to the sport and have realized that there is a solid dg following from MN to MI and IN to IA. Obviously the west coast has a lot of players and the south east as well. But where would you consider the disc golf "Mecca" or "Meccas" of the world?

I am from the Southeast so I would say Charlotte because of the diversity of courses including close to Rock Hill. Also, Augusta is pretty good because of the IDGC, Patriots Park, Olmstead and Pendleton King. Both cities have also hosted the Worlds in the past 10 years and only about 3 hours from Charleston.

Depends on how you define mecca. Is it about quantity of courses, quality of courses, local league scene, local tournament scene, etc.

Not been around the country much, but the Carolinas are really becoming a solid place for Disc Golf. A combination of good varied geography (from mountains, forests, swamps, sandhills, golf course style fairways, lots of rivers ponds and streams, etc.), and the fact that while areas have been hit with economic downturn (my area in the Morganton/Hickory/Lenoir was recently ranked one of the 10 worst for job loss), this has spurred a creativity to utilize land for recreational development, and with Innova's East Coast factory right in the middle of both states which does good outreach with parks depts. and Disc Golf's relatively low costs compared to other sports is really spurring an explosion of courses. I don't know much about the Coastal areas, but there is great wooded golf all over the West, Hickory and Asheville being among the best tech courses around, and my home course in Morganton and the Ashe County park offer some great driving/big arm courses designed by Harold Duvall, another top 50 course Sugaree is a scenic 30 minutes from Morganton, and the players in and around the greater Charlotte area are popping out great new courses constantly with the fact Stan McDaniel's home base is there (he has also inspired many new young designers as well) and several great pros live nearby like MJ, Cam Todd, Jeremy Koling, Dave Wiggins Jr, etc.

Making the trek to that Holy Mecca in June...

Depends on how you define mecca. Is it about quantity of courses, quality of courses, local league scene, local tournament scene, etc.

Seems to me the definition would have to lean towards a place you want to visit at least once in your lifetime. Or, very generally, a location players from far away most want to visit. As opposed to a great disc golf location to live, which could be a very different thing.

Well, I'm gonna throw St. Louis in the mix. We have a 500 man club scene in the main club and 3 sister clubs. One of them, the St Charles club, has the largest regular running league play record. We have 19 3 star or better courses within 50 miles of downtown, 28 within 100 miles out of a total 87 in that same range. Among them we have a top destination course (Foundation 18) and a top 9 hole (Jokerst). We have the Crystal city Underground courses. Our PDGA schedule is fairly robust. The annual C-tiers at Endicott and Sioux Passage are this weekend, Dave macCormicks B-tiers on his Ozark Mountain courses happen 2xs yearly, the St. Louis Open, 3 or 4 others this season, not to mention a strong league presence every day of the week. Also, the Gateway warehouse is here, so we have an ambassador of the game in town. I'm not saying we're the best, but disc golf in STL is pretty strong.

Last edited:

You may be new to the sport, but you'll soon learn that the topic of best disc golf locations is an ongoing war, in which the troops stand ready to resume battle at the drop of a hat. In this case, your hat.

Highbridge, WI

haven't played there yet but really want to! :eek:

From my couple years of playing i'd have to say the Gateway Ozark courses: Akitas run, OZARK MOUNTAIN!, Spencer davis! :thmbup:

Camping in the woods with no bathrooms, electricity, toilets, showers, running water... is a fun relaxing time away from work, family, real life. Beautiful terrain, skys and you can hear the coyotes at night... lol.
when you wake up you eat quick and go play disc golf all day! :)

Ozark Mt. is a close Second on my list. Favorite Destination areas (in order of preference):

Highbridge
Ozark
Selah
Hornings
IDGC
The Lodge
Mont Du Lac
Mason County
Justin Trails
Farragut
PawPaw

Last edited:
Highbridge is definitely a very well known place. Would definitely live in that area and play every day if I had no prior commitments in life. As far as a "mecca" goes I'm thinking of a place with a lot of well established courses where the scene is already heavy and there is still growth in the sport.

You may be new to the sport, but you'll soon learn that the topic of best disc golf locations is an ongoing war, in which the troops stand ready to resume battle at the drop of a hat. In this case, your hat.

As a war movie fan....well said.

For me it's right where I am. I do enjoy going to the popular courses in larger metro areas and meeting the players there and what not (DFW over Thanksgiving was great) but for me it's about more than just the scene for the players but how non players embrace it. That's done pretty well here in Emporia and we have three 4+ Star rated courses in town and the best disc shop I've ever been to. KC and DFW would get my honorable mentions.

There's your homeboy answer.

Martin's list is pretty excellent; though I have yet to make the trek to his 3, 4, and 5 spots; or Farragut. I will be hitting up the Mont du Lac area hard in June. I've been to Texas twice, and Charlotte, five times now and so would certainly second those votes (I would add that the N.C. mountains; north of Charlotte are very excellent). Cinncinati is another that's not been mentioned yet. The addition of Osage; near Cincy; gives them a big four worth visiting; in addition to a bunch of lesser courses. St. Louis does have a lot of good stuff; and I've made a couple of treks there as well; but they are spread out a bit more; if you try to add Ozark, Centralia, etc., to that group. Regarding club; and tourney presence, St. Louis is quite strong....and I have a personal relationship with the LAKERS, in St. Louis, which adds to the appeal.

Latest posts