• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who steals a basket?! I mean really!

Actually scrap steal is only worth about $40 a ton right now. I also doubt that tweakers are taking such a big risk for a couple bucks.

Not even remotely true......:doh:

This is why local club's should be fundraising, to buy baskets and help upkeep the courses. Growing the sport by keeping the courses open!

I am old and confused. What is "that stupid disc charger crap"? Honest question. :eek:

At some of the tee pads people will draw a circle the size of a disc and write disc charger next to it as if it will charge your disc. Just more vandalism really.

scum bags. there's a guy who plays locally that i've heard steals baskets. i won't play with him.

a buddy of mine caught some kids in the act of stealing a basket at Covenant Disc Golf Course in NC and ran them off...however the basket was torn up pretty bad from them trying to pry it out of the ground

I played a course recently that I won't mention the name of, but at least two of the baskets were not even locked down. I don't play there much as I really don't like the course, but close to a year ago I noticed the same thing. I'm amazed someone hasn't taken them.

we have 9 baskets on one of the local college campus, 1 got stolen.
it was later found in a dorm room, being used as a dirty clothes basket

Not even remotely true......:doh:

This is why local club's should be fundraising, to buy baskets and help upkeep the courses. Growing the sport by keeping the courses open!

I live in socal and I visit the recycler regularly. $40 a ton is going rate here so I don't understand what's not even remotely true about what I said. The second part of my post was an opinion and I don't think your allowed to tell me what my opinion should be. And what does anything in my post have to do with fundraising or course upkeep ,guy?

Last edited:
Stupid disc chargers:

IMG_5162.JPG

Addressing the OP: some people steel baskets for the scrap metal value. Hell, look at these other examples where metal was stolen for scrap value:

PHOENIX -
A school was forced to close for the day after officials found out their copper water pipes were gone.
21812325_SA.jpg

Burglars steal copper piping from Bronx community center twice in past week
copper22b-3-web.jpg

This one takes the cake... the bastards didn't even shut the water off, they just stole the pipes and the water flooded a church, preventing the church from helping folks who really need a hand.
DETROIT (WXYZ) - A church on Detroit's east side remains flooded after copper pipes were taken from the building's plumbing line.
Church_copes_with_massive_flooding_cause_1373140000_3171413_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

I hate basket thieves as much (if not more) than anyone else, but baskets are small potatoes compared to these thefts.

Last edited:
People at my home course have started bashing in the sides of the baskets. Thats really pisses me off

People at my home course have started bashing in the sides of the baskets. Thats really pisses me off
Sounds to me like they just need to get laid... at least thieves are obtaining something of value.

Every time we get one of these stories, someone makes this claim. Very doubtful unless miles of chain link fence are also disappearing. A basket is worth about $20 max at a scrapyard. They are worth way more as baskets.
Chain link fence doesn't have the mass for scrapping. You're also assuming people scrap single items where its usually a pickup truck or trailer load of anything metal. I spent 2 years working at a job site next to a scrap yard in Camden NJ and I can assure you that a DG basket would make it into their load if they had a chance.

People steal them and scrap them. Probably for drug money.
Every time we get one of these stories, someone makes this claim. Very doubtful unless miles of chain link fence are also disappearing. A basket is worth about $20 max at a scrapyard. They are worth way more as baskets.
It may well have been scrapped, but realistically, more baskets are probably stolen by disc golfers than by scrap metal opportunists. :( :mad: :wall: I was just making the point that a course missing a basket is a minor inconvenience and way less costly compared to what these jack@$$es have done above.

Last edited:
Some years ago out at Oak Grove, someon e actually cut through the chains on the bonus basket on the Canyon hole. There used to be two baskets on this hole, at the time.

Latest posts