• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why all the Innova Hate?

I think the thing that drives people to be mad at innova is when they pump out new ho-hum molds nobody is interested in so quickly and say why you should try it anyway, but then never pay enough homage to the old tried-and-true popular molds of yesteryear by refining plastic blends and improving quality control on those specific models. They missed the mark with the +plus molds and dx plastic changes a few years ago, and that was probably the biggest era of 'innova sucks' mentallity. However I think they're turning it around since Roc3 and family of 3 releases hit shelves and given the player base desirable improvements.

sorry, Roc3 is crap. DX Rocs and older KCpros are money.

Ooohh I wanna join this conversation!

I would not say that I hate Innova, although I do dislike a lot of their disc names and colors. That is my only real problem with them. I guess it comes from my artistic mentality, but to me a lot of their disc names are not very clever and they have no continuity, plus their colors are often very drab (although they do have some good ones considering they have a million discs and variations).

I mean come on... Cro, Ape, Katana, Wahoo, Krait, Kite, Skeeter, Monarch, Mamba, Orc, TeeRex, etc... I can dig on the animal motif but they're not all tied together very well and it just seems like their idea department is all over the place. Who wants to throw a "Wahoo"?? This is my main complaint about Innova because the names of the discs should be desirable and make you feel cool but I don't get how you go from Orc to Monarch. One of these things is not like the other.

Also I think a lot of their disc colors are pretty boring and it doesn't help. Because now you have companies like Latitude 64 who have some of the prettiest discs on the market and everyone likes shiny things so their flashy plastic literally outshines Innova's dull discs (Star plastic is especially bland, even though the plastic itself is very good). Again, this is all merely aesthetic but that is part of attracting buyers to your product. And I think their rating system is just a touch pretentious, especially if Innova is widely available for beginners. Is there really a noticeable difference between discs with 1 fade or 2 fade? Maybe I'm showing n00bishness here though because I really don't know the answer haha.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that I got away from Innova because it's what I started discing with when I was still a n00b and I had no idea what I was doing. Well, now I have somewhat of an idea what I'm doing but I had never tried a Discraft disc before so I got a few of those back when I started really getting into disc golf. Now there are a plethora of disc companies to choose from so it seems natural to want to try all the shiny plastic to see how it compares to the grandfather of disc golf (not that I would even know how it compares to my beginner days).

I could give two s***s what the name of the mold is or what discs are the "prettiest". The disc could be hot pink with a stamp of a piece of s*** for all I care if its a disc that works for me. You complaining about creativity with disc names?! Look at Prodigy they make good discs but their drivers are named D(then a #), their Mids are M(with a #) ect. Can Prodigy get anymore uncreative? At least Innova attempts to give the molds at least halfway decent names. And seriously the flight ratings given from companies don't mean anything, they are just a very basic guideline for a molds flight characteristics, which are by no means perfectly accurate. With that said you said that you can't tell the difference between 1 & 2 fade?! As I said I don't trust or follow companies flight rating numbers but you ever throw a Banshee & a Teebird? They're is only 1 difference in the stupid flight ratings but the extra fade on the banshee is highly noticeable compared to the Teebird.

Last edited:
If you expect it to fly like a Roc, then yes, it's crap. The Roc3 is an entirely different disc and probably the closest Innova has come to making their own version of the Buzzz.

Ever try a MD2? IMO they're closer to a Buzzz than a Roc3. Discmania is connected to Innova. But I still like my Roc3 nonetheless.

I could give two s***s what the name of the mold is or what discs are the "prettiest". The disc could be hot pink with a stamp of a piece of s*** for all I care if its a disc that works for me. You complaining about creativity with disc names?! Look at Prodigy they make good discs but their drivers are named D(then a #), their Mids are M(with a #) ect. Can Prodigy get anymore uncreative? At least Innova attempts to give the molds at least halfway decent names. And seriously the flight ratings given from companies don't mean anything, they are just a very basic guideline for a molds flight characteristics, which are by no means perfectly accurate. With that said you said that you can't tell the difference between 1 & 2 fade?! As I said I don't trust or follow companies flight rating numbers but you ever throw a Banshee & a Teebird? They're is only 1 difference in the stupid flight ratings but the extra fade on the banshee is highly noticeable compared to the Teebird.
Chill out, dude. I'm just stating my opinion. That's what we do here, right?

I just value colors and creativity. When discs are such a simple thing, all they have to attract you is a name and color. Do you want to throw poopy looking discs with lame names? I like hot pink discs, too, I have several. Bright discs are good.

If you expect it to fly like a Roc, then yes, it's crap. The Roc3 is an entirely different disc and probably the closest Innova has come to making their own version of the Buzzz.

its called a Roc. it should fly like a Roc. If i wanted a Buzzz, I would buy a Buzzz.

Ever try a MD2? IMO they're closer to a Buzzz than a Roc3. Discmania is connected to Innova. But I still like my Roc3 nonetheless.

Yep, I have tried the MD2. I feel the Roc3 holds the angle of release better throughout its flight than an MD2 which displays more turn and fade characteristics. They are pretty similar though.

I've never understood why they use Roc for so many different discs. Maybe the Roc fans understand all the variants but this has got to confuse the h*** out of numbies.

I'm unsure if you have seen TheSpinTV video where dave explains the plastics. Each type of plastic has a different flight pattern regardless of the disc itself. It's like comparing a composite wood bat to a soild wood bat. they feel similar but make the ball come off the bat different. the discs feel the same mold wise but plastic feels different so in essence they will fly a bit different so I don't see why you are complaining when they CLEARLY acknowledge that for you by making a champion -2 and not -4 so you know it will fly a bit different.

I completely agree that the difference in plastics will have an impact on stability. My concern with the Tern is the difference between the First Runs/CFR in Champion plastic that fly nothing like the new release of stock Champion plastic. The early Champion runs fly, presumably, like the current Star plastic versions. From an outsider's perspective, it looks like Innova botched the second batch of Champ Terns and they came out more stable than anticipated. Then they modified the printed flight numbers on the stock Champ Terns to acknowledge the difference. With increased competition, they have to be much more careful these days. That's what appears to have happened. Admittedly, I haven't checked each individual mold, but does Innova have different flight numbers for other molds based on plastic differences? I'm really just curious. I have always just assumed Champ plastic was going to be slightly more stable than the same mold in Star Plastic. Thanks for the expertise you provide.

Which Roc should it fly like; San Marino, Rancho, or Ontario? :D

any of them. it flies like none of them

It's called a Roc3.

shut up. its a ROC. but it flies like ****

Which Roc? Roc+, Rancho, San Marino, etc...

SEE ABOVE

I've never understood why they use Roc for so many different discs. Maybe the Roc fans understand all the variants but this has got to confuse the h*** out of numbies.

did you bleep out your own word, and call noobs, "numbies"

my definition of a numbie is prob not what you are thinking

You want to see the Innova love, check out the marketplace. Innova collectors outnumber other disc company collectors 20 to 1 (Unscientifically deduced by me). And they pay big bucks for some of their discs.

You want to see the Innova love, check out the marketplace. Innova collectors outnumber other disc company collectors 20 to 1 (Unscientifically deduced by me). And they pay big bucks for some of their discs.

Yes, they have been around longer, so there will be a demand for older, discontinued discs and hype. It will be hard to tell if the other brands will find the same nostalgia for discontinued discs and plastic type. Probably not, as Discraft has been around for awhile and the collector value isn't as high. Even though I don't buy into the hype or concept of such things I do find it interesting and fun to watch what sales and for how much.

2 is a less marketable number than 3.

3 is the magic number.

FTW!

Also Notro,

the reason that Discmania used DD2 and DD is because their discs dont have individual names.

a Roc is a Roc, and should fly like a Roc.

so is a Katana really Destroyer3 and a Mako is a Roc-2

help me understand