• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why does /r/discgolf suck so much? (reddit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but this place is also a cesspool, just one with a thin veneer of useful information and at least some semblance of adulthood…

In my opinion DGCR is 80% good discussion & information and 20% griping & trolling.
I think it's easy to spot the threads that will be informative discussion vs the ones that will be petty nonsense (of course some petty BS can erupt at any moment in any thread).
To say this site is "a cesspool, just one with a thin veneer of useful information and at least some semblance of adulthood…" no way!

That's not fair.

I'm not always drunk.

Same here. For several hours a day I'm sleeping.

Sometimes I have clicked on a link trying to search out information on a disc I was thinking of trying and it leads me to Reddit. I usually read all of the opinions mostly because I know it will amuse me and fully realizing that I will likely learn nothing about the subject.

It's pretty obvious that it's nothing but kids and covid era disc golfers on Reddit. They get their course info and rely on reviews from Udisc. They discovered disc golf 2 years ago and now they're suddenly better technique gurus than Sidewinder. It's actually quite hilarious and sad at the same time.

My daughter is an /r/discgolf poster. She's 21 and HATES DGCR for non-content reasons; this website has a very "welcome to 2005" look about it that she can't overcome. The minute she logs in here, her mind says "old people post here". :|

The fact that /r/discgolf is a cesspool of misinformation that comes from the blind leading the blind seems to bother her less than circa 2000 vBulletin. :\

Reddit in general is a terrible place and bad for your health. I never login or post anymore but occasionally I scroll through some subreddits just long enough to realize that I want nothing to do with it.

It's pretty obvious that it's nothing but kids and covid era disc golfers on Reddit. They get their course info and rely on reviews from Udisc. They discovered disc golf 2 years ago and now they're suddenly better technique gurus than Sidewinder. It's actually quite hilarious and sad at the same time.
Might be a bit of a generalization of the covid era crowd and reddit crowd. I didn't get serious about the sport until covid, but I come here for my form reviews from sidewinder22 (who is also on reddit incidentally). Sure, Reddit has the low effort memes and the general upvote/downvote turf fighting, but I find it to be a good place for more instant reaction to an in-progress tournament and videos. The tournament threads are very active and full of instant discussion. Also, I can often find short video clips there that are much more difficult to find here (for example, Gibson's eagle at Goat Hill was posted there with just his shots).
I just go to Reddit and DGCR for different reasons. I think of this as a place for serious feedback, knowledgeable discussion, and more experienced members. Reddit is more casual, instant, and you can't take anything there too serious.

Might be a bit of a generalization of the covid era crowd and reddit crowd. I didn't get serious about the sport until covid, but I come here for my form reviews from sidewinder22 (who is also on reddit incidentally). Sure, Reddit has the low effort memes and the general upvote/downvote turf fighting, but I find it to be a good place for more instant reaction to an in-progress tournament and videos. The tournament threads are very active and full of instant discussion. Also, I can often find short video clips there that are much more difficult to find here (for example, Gibson's eagle at Goat Hill was posted there with just his shots).
I just go to Reddit and DGCR for different reasons. I think of this as a place for serious feedback, knowledgeable discussion, and more experienced members. Reddit is more casual, instant, and you can't take anything there too serious.

100% this for me as well

My daughter is an /r/discgolf poster. She's 21 and HATES DGCR for non-content reasons; this website has a very "welcome to 2005" look about it that she can't overcome. The minute she logs in here, her mind says "old people post here".
Funny. That's the same impression I get when I log in here.
well, i don't think she's wrong; when you're 21 there are a lot of things that seem built for/used by old ppl.

Might be a bit of a generalization of the covid era crowd and reddit crowd.
There are huge generalizations made all the time. You can't make an encompassing description of an /r/discgolf poster any more than you can a DGCR poster. I mean, we have people posting here that don't even play disc golf, so you can't even describe us as disc golfers.

I know of a few long-time posters here that threw a little at one time, got comfortable hanging out here, quit playing disc golf but are still here posting in the water cooler and landfill and things like that. If you ask them, they don't even identify as a disc golfer. But they post on DGCR.

So who are we? Nobody knows. My daughter says we are old, but are we? Maybe. Who knows?

I used to really like R/Discgolf, joining in about 2013 or so

I internet met lots of really cool people on there like Ian from Central Coast amongst many others and have formed and developed loads of things beneficial to the sport from those interactions.

Early days it really felt like an everyone wanting to help everyone kind of place with very few di*ks.

Now I really struggle to wade through the toxicity and all the "They should..." posts. Become the they and you might change your opinion you entitled little twerps.

There are a heck of a lot more "they's" on this forum and it's refreshing.

My only interactions with r/discgolf are when I'm linked there by a friend. Usually the OC is something I find interesting or funny... it has, after all, been curated by people who know me. So I can't say that r/discgolf is entirely devoid of value.

The comments sections are pretty dumb. There may be worthwhile posts in there, but it's not worth soifting through to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.