• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wife says "Change hobbies…"

Your wife just doesn't want you exposed to all the misogyny that accompanies all things disc golf.

This thread may keep may single-handedly help keep me single longer

For seven years my wife complained about my disc golf addiction, and you know what? she just joined the PDGA! my advice is, invite your wife to go golfing with you - if she's not interested, make it worth her while - do something with her that makes her happy

For seven years my wife complained about my disc golf addiction, and you know what? she just joined the PDGA! my advice is, invite your wife to go golfing with you - if she's not interested, make it worth her while - do something with her that makes her happy

:clap:

I have to put the situation in perspective as I also have 3 kids (one 12 and twin 4 yr olds). I am divorced and retained primary custody of all 3. I do get 2 weekends off a month from the kids. During the week I have to work as much as I can to support them while still coming home to make dinners, homework, baths, etc. If I could, I would DG all day every day but I'm lucky if I can squeeze in 4 rounds a month (with or without kids). And I don't even have a social life. The point I'm making is that having children means putting all hobbies and extracurricular activities aside. You'll never hear me complain because thats the way it is. To be a great father/parent is to put your interests on hold for the betterment of your children/family. I know that when their older I'll have all the time in the world to play. I've met plenty of parents who either don't get this or don't want to accept it. They made the choice to have kids but now resent them or their spouse for their situation. Its a shame. Fix the family….the discs will understand.

My girlfriend already know how much I like Disc. We just went Christmas shopping today and my gift (from her) was a pair of warm active-wear pants. Also Im asking for a custom dyed D3...she will pick it up this week sometime :) But she did kinda mention how all my gifts are disc related. But she has been totally cool up to this point. But I can see her making a deal of it. When it comes down to it I think Guys have more 'hobbies' than the ladies do. And this is a Fun (relatively cheap) activity that is competitive, a sense of community, exercise, and enjoying outdoors. I think she understands.

I just hope we don't get to that point.....as OP. BUT, i think it will happen at some point. But ladies gotta understand...we guys need to have that thing that we enjoy doing and have fun with outside of our relationship....I think most of us good ole DGers just like the activity....Ladies need to chiiiill

I've been married for over 18 years now, and my wife has pretty much always shown a cold-shoulder to Disc Golf, the projectile sport that I love. We have two beautiful kids and both of us, thanks to Plutocrats, are each working what would've been considered 1.25 jobs just 15 years ago. I too am lucky to get out and play once a week.

...but even before kids and when money grew on trees in the 1990s and employers didn't work you to death, she always pouted when I left home to go and play. There was always a tinge of guilt to every teebox from which I threw, and to be honest, I don't really have much other than commiseration to share with he who posted originally. I guess at least my wife realizes now that I'm due one good round a week (and a few day trips during vacations, etc.) for the sake of my psyche.

Ive been playing for 3 years... I have 4 kids(13, 10, 7, 3). My wife has said the same SH#T to me before. "that is not real exercise" "your gone for too long" bla bla bla bla bla. now... i might not be burning 1000 calories, but i do get some exercise, and it is not forced, it is enjoyed. What people don't realize is there is physical excersise, and mental excersice.... I LOVE being out in NATURE and it is meditative in a sense. It rejuvinates me to be able to go back to the reality of what awaits after... WORK, STRESS, BILLS ect.

I always tell her... I could play real golf which costs $20 every time i go to play instead... that usually shuts her up for the moment :thmbup:

your not alone brotha!

My kids have their own bags and discs, and love to play 9 holes and my wife will go and play from time to time, and she tries to hide it, but i know she secretly loves playing. women just look at anything that takes time away from them as a threat... almost like a mistress lol... freakin tards!

DON'T EVER GIVE UP WHAT YOUR LOVE FOR A WOMAN!

Having read through the opinions on this thread, i find most of them to be pretty dumb personally. Particularly the voices advocating taking a hard line and telling your wife that you could be doing worse things so your wife can suck an egg. This won't do anything to address her concerns or do anything to reduce the friction between the two of you around disc golf. It might be satisfying to think about telling your wife off like this, but it won't give you what you want.

I think the starting point is a conversation with your wife where you communicate why disc golf is important to you and you want to keep it a part of your life. I also think it needs to be accompanied by an offer of compromise, something that gives her more of what she wants since your asking to continue doing what you want. Maybe your wife wants a night to go out with her girlfriends and you could offer to hold down the fort for a night in exchange for some hours playing. Maybe your wife just wants more time with you and you could offer to take care of arranging the details of date nights for the two of you in exchange for some time playing.

My wife has had some hard feelings about disc golf over the last few years although she tries hard to be supportive of a hobby that takes me away from the family for chunks of time. With 4 kids between the two of us, I know that meeting the needs of the kids and my wife are the first steps in getting to do some of the things i want to do.

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread but what about running through 18? It would be faster and give you the exercise she's concerned with.

Then maybe you can add a regular game in every other week or something.

... women just look at anything that takes time away from them as a threat... almost like a mistress lol... freakin tards!

DON'T EVER GIVE UP WHAT YOUR LOVE FOR A WOMAN!

Yeah I suspect the time is her real problem, not the exercise or anything else -- unless you're 100lbs. overweight and really need to run or cycle to get healthy. Both of those can be bad for your knees, though. Do you have knee problems? ;) Everything else is just an excuse for her to complain so she can keep you from leaving home for 3 hours at a time.

I'm not saying I can help you solve your marital problems, but be sure to weed through all the bullshyt and understand to the real problem before you try to help her see it your way. And good luck. I suspect you're going to need it.