• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Brodie Smith be better than Dustin Keegan?

Will Brodie Smith > Dustin Keegan?

• Total voters
Ken Climo
Kevin Jones
GG
AJ
Yeah, strength matters, strength to weight ratio is very important. All powerful throwers in all sports have a very high strength to weight ratio..

If disc golf even goes simi mainstream, there will be much more athletic players in the sport. If the current trend keeps up, in 10 years most of the current pros won't even be able to break in the top 10 on open courses. It will be like expecting MJ to win the San Frisco Open now.

Age may be the barrier that keeps Smith from becoming a top 5 player. The more I think about it, he plays ball golf well, which is a much more difficult mental game than DG.

Time will tell.

Can Eagle do 10 pushups yet?

Ken Climo
Kevin Jones
GG
AJ
Yeah, strength matters, strength to weight ratio is very important. All powerful throwers in all sports have a very high strength to weight ratio..

If disc golf even goes simi mainstream, there will be much more athletic players in the sport. If the current trend keeps up, in 10 years most of the current pros won't even be able to break in the top 10 on open courses. It will be like expecting MJ to win the San Frisco Open now.

Age may be the barrier that keeps Smith from becoming a top 5 player. The more I think about it, he plays ball golf well, which is a much more difficult mental game than DG.

Time will tell.

Absolutely. And yes to your second point about the athletes that WILL be taking over disc golf in the coming decades. I'll point to this guy as an example. Sean Tapley, former Division 1 wide receiver from North Carolina, only playing for 4 years and already throws a mile. Athletes like him are the future of the sport, no doubt about it.

Can Eagle do 10 pushups yet?

Imagine how much farther he would throw if he could do 50. He throws that far despite the fact, not because of it. Adding size, weight and strength would only reinforce his skills.

Last edited:
Yes he can, with 3 or 4 takes. I doubt those great throws we see on video are his first.

I don't hate Brodie, I know very little about him. I just think it's ridiculous to believe that he'll be a top player in disc golf this year or for the next few years. We will see this summer. I now I could be wrong about his play but I've already made one bet over it and don't think I'll be proven wrong come January 2021.

Being intentionally dense is hilarious.

Have you ever actually played competitive Ultimate?

It takes an athlete to be good at it.

Absolutely. And yes to your second point about the athletes that WILL be taking over disc golf in the coming decades. I'll point to this guy as an example. Sean Tapley, former Division 1 wide receiver from North Carolina, only playing for 4 years and already throws a mile. Athletes like him are the future of the sport, no doubt about it.

Imagine how much farther he would throw if he could do 50. He throws that far despite the fact, not because of it. Adding size, weight and strength would only reinforce his skills.

Yeah, Tapley went from playing Rec to cashing in MPO in a year. The thing a lot of people fail to recognize about athletes who have played other sports is that in addition to being talented they already know the importance of focused practice in order to improve. Some people never get that through their heads.

He would throw farther, if he keeps his muscle flexibility. There is a point where the benefits from having stronger arms are counterbalanced by the loss in arm speed.

And I can say with certitude that he lost more tournaments by breaking his own hand, than by lacking distance, so he might need that extra calcium more than that extra distance...

A little, but not much. The pectoral muscles play very little in either a backhand or a forehand. Overhands, yeah, somewhat.

Strong legs, core and to a lesser degree, the shoulders, is where the power comes from. Over developed pecs can slow one down.

For general health, yeah, some pushups will be good for him.

I'm glad someone brought up Tapley. Dude is already 974 rated and is a good example of how much of a head start being a high-level athlete in another sport can be when getting into disc golf. I don't imagine that being a WR is anywhere remotely as translatable as being a high-level Ultimate player either yet here he is mashing drives and looking like a decent putter. A big part of being an dedicated athlete is just being able to organize your life around practice and training, focus, etc.

That's what separates the big boys from the Keegans of the world. ;)

All I know is that Brodie Smith is not related to me.

My Last name is Smith. I might be related to a different Smith who plays, Chris Smith a lower rank from Dynamic Disc, we never met. He comes from an area that others in my family came from in Missouri in the Kansas City region, well small town just outside Kansas City Missouri.

This cemented my vote - Casey you never disappoint my friend.

Still waiting for your AMA thread.

No one's over looking that, we just know that doesn't matter when it comes to proper form. Top pros in disc golf are not "strong dudes".

Need I refer you to Paul McBeth 5 time PDGA World Champion? He was almost a pro or Semi- pro Baseball player, not sure position he would have played and he went to Disc Golf as Baseball is so competitive it is hard to make a living in the Minor leagues until you get to a specific level. Disc Golf was not and is kind of still not there

Also the guy who was last to win before Ken Climo won 10 PDGA World Champions who was first to win more then 2 of the PDGA Word Champions was a Trainer at a Gym for sports and all around fitness during the off season. Ken Climo also had Ultimate background.

Last edited:
I was hoping to find out why Dustin Keegan was the butt of Brother Dave's jokes after reading 8 pages - no dice.

Looking up Dustin Keegan in the web, I saw only evidence of a pretty cool guy for all he does for the DG community, plus he's from Eugene, one of my favorite towns, and, I think he likes Olympique Lyonnais, my #1 football club.

I'm voting Keegan!

I don't think we'll ever know the real story. Maybe Keegan's a Jurkface.

I was hoping to find out why Dustin Keegan was the butt of Brother Dave's jokes after reading 8 pages - no dice.

Looking up Dustin Keegan in the web, I saw only evidence of a pretty cool guy for all he does for the DG community, plus he's from Eugene, one of my favorite towns, and, I think he likes Olympique Lyonnais, my #1 football club.

I'm voting Keegan!
Somebody has to be DGCR's most hated disc golfer, why not Keegan? Think of the social media marketing potential in that. BroD is doing the guy a huge favor.

Latest posts