• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind putter?

practice different release angles in the wind. i use a SS magic for all putts, inside/outside, wind/no wind. its "understable" but release angles take care of the wind for me. go out on a windy day and figure it out.

Wind, rain, snow, or hail, inside 30' a putter is a putter. I'll use my Lightning #2 just because it's what I'm most comfortable with. (An Aviar or Wizard would do just as well.) Outside 30' to about 50' I'll still use the Lightning but my throwing motion will change from putting to more of an approach stance. Outside of 50' what I use and how I throw will just depend on the conditions. I've used the Lightning out to about 100'. Just because it's heavy and straight flying.

FWIW, I've seen many people putt with a driver on windy days. As I have too. If it works for you great. I'll stick with what I know best. My 175+ Lightning thrown straight at the pocket in chains on the right side of the pole. Just like bowling. (Now if I could hit that pocket more often. :D)

I think you could learn to putt in the wind with most putters, but the Wizard and Jokeri are both pretty solid. I've been throwing a premium Jokeri lately and it is sweet.

I love the Joker, I throw it more than any disc and never use it as a "putter". It is terrific in strong winds (or not), will hold a line and hold loft. The Vector, thrown upside down and down wind is a safe choice to "get there in 2".

The spring here is always the windy season, and often we play in 25- 35mph, gusting to 45. We played one day when the wind was gusting 1mph lower than tropical force winds. That really takes "putting" out of the equation, for not only me but anyone I have played with. Too many times the wind has blown the putter out of the basket, it's tough, and the goal is to get down to 2 strokes. The Joker is the best disc I've ever used for wind.

I need some suggestions for a putter that can handle the wind well. I currently use the Soft Magnet and love them but as soon as the wind picks up the accuracy can go down the tube. I have been looking at the Soft Wizard or the Omega Super Soft but I am open to any suggestions.

Wolfman, I also use a Soft Magnet as my main putter, but when the wind is really bad, I use my ESP Challenger, and its overstablity, really helps in super windy conditions. A Z Challenger would also work. Its also nice to have in the bag for overstable putting , like going around a tree or something.

Latest posts