• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you like trees with that?

In Michigan we have some pretty rugged courses, LOTS of trees. Thats great for me because I like courses that are woodsy, hilly, technical and demand control of your disc. How 'bout you guys, What are the main features or even little details that pop in your head when you think about your Ideal course?

Holes that stick out in your mind afterwards.

You know, that unique hole that is fun and challenging, that is specific to THAT course. Im sure your local course has a few. Soem courses ahve alot of holes that are very simple or just similar
Dogleg Left
Dogleg Right
Long Straight Shot

Like, something kindof crazy, that uses a combination of different types of terrain. Like trees, hills, and water. Not neccesarily a super-hard hole, but a unique one

For example, Hole #4 on Mouer park in Tempe is a downhill drive with a river on your right, and overhanging trees. The river curves left and the Basket is past two giant trees on the riverbank, on a 10 ft wide island where the river splits in two for a bit. The whole island is covered with a thick bamboo jungle, except for where the pin is, and you have to walk over a little bridge (concrete poured over big pipes for water to flow through) to reach pin. It is a unique hole

wow

Thanks for the mindgasm, that sounds like heaven. Bamboo? where is this course? I fully agree that the unique holes that provide a great feeling shot are indeed the ones worth seeking. I think it would be so much fun to plan the layout of a course, if I didn't have to pay rent I would definitely I would be studying course architecture and volunteering for the installation process.

I like water, downhill vistas and ace runs. I don't like holes where the fairway is all but nonexistent. In general I prefer holes with strategically placed trees over tunnel holes. But a mix is nice.

I HATE courses in swamps and I hate the fact that most courses are on whatever cast-off crappy piece of land that's available.

One of my all time favorite courses is Lake Cumberland State Park. They pulled out a ball golf course and put in a disc golf course. It's on a hill overlooking a lake. I also love Sanders Ferry Park - great downhill vistas and a shot over water.

WillA, I love the "cast off piece of land" element. It really makes you learn alot about a new city. It's like prying up a rock to investigate. Sure there's the tourist spot, but what is this town really like? It's the park courses that all seem the same that drive me nuts. I can throw on park grass almost anywhere. If I'm in Arizona I want to throw next to a cactus around a butte. If I'm in florida, why not a swamp.

Wooded courses are deffinetly my favorite, I like when there are obsticals you have to manuver through, "portablewalrus", you said you like "technical courses", I recomend "tittabawassee park" to you, its in freeland, it tied with my favorite course at thins point, also the 3 courses at Mason county park, "beauty", "beast", and "Goliath" are awsome wooded courses just with better scenary, I just went for the first time last week, you should really make a trip out there, and stop by freeland on the way

Yea, I was actually going to go to tittabawassee park about a week ago, but we got stuck at chippawa banks in midland by the time we left it was dark already. I have a buddy in mt. pleasant so I'm sure I'll be going there soon. I'm saving the mason county park trip for a whole weekend so we can jet up to hickory hills afterwards. I've heard great things about both of them. Northern MI courses are so sweet, thanks for the tip brotha. Beet picken fo life.

I have played two of the treesiest (I don't think that's a word, but who cares?) courses I can think of: South Mt. in Bethlehem, PA, and Lums Pond in Bear, Delaware. The woody courses provide the instant challenge of keeping your disc in the air and towards the hole. If I told you I'm the best at that, then I'd be a fool. I like a mix in my course and that's not just including trees: I'm talking elevation, length variety, trees, and OB hazards.

Portablewalrus, have you made it over to Grand Rapids yet? We've got 6 or 7 decent courses here... the best of the bunch are Riverside and Brewer. Riverside, in particular, has a hole that will stick with you... the basket is on a peninsula sticking out in a lake near the river. We call it "Goose Poop Point"... I'm sure you can imagine why. :)

the most out of hand treey course that I have encountered was Elk Creek DGC in Appomattox, VA.

It would be a much favorable course if they cut down a 1000 or so little sapplings. It was crazy, people

Wooded courses are deffinetly my favorite, I like when there are obsticals you have to manuver through, "portablewalrus", you said you like "technical courses", I recomend "tittabawassee park" to you, its in freeland, it tied with my favorite course at thins point, also the 3 courses at Mason county park, "beauty", "beast", and "Goliath" are awsome wooded courses just with better scenary, I just went for the first time last week, you should really make a trip out there, and stop by freeland on the way

If you like wooded courses, you need to hit River Grove Park in Kingwood,TX. It is the most challenging course I play. Here are some pics:

Kingwoodhole9.jpg

DSCF0006-1.jpg

5Kingwood-1.jpg

Kingwoodo92-1.jpg

Kingwood08.jpg

thats my kind of course, looks like alot of courses here in michigan, deffinetly a course I would play if I was ever in the area

Holes that stick out in your mind afterwards.

You know, that unique hole that is fun and challenging, that is specific to THAT course. Im sure your local course has a few. Soem courses ahve alot of holes that are very simple or just similar
Dogleg Left
Dogleg Right
Long Straight Shot

Like, something kindof crazy, that uses a combination of different types of terrain. Like trees, hills, and water. Not neccesarily a super-hard hole, but a unique one

For example, Hole #4 on Mouer park in Tempe is a downhill drive with a river on your right, and overhanging trees. The river curves left and the Basket is past two giant trees on the riverbank, on a 10 ft wide island where the river splits in two for a bit. The whole island is covered with a thick bamboo jungle, except for where the pin is, and you have to walk over a little bridge (concrete poured over big pipes for water to flow through) to reach pin. It is a unique hole

Thats what I like about http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=883 It has some amazing holes.

Attachments

• Rivery Park Hole #10.jpg
    Rivery Park Hole #10.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm not so much a fan of wooded courses. I like to keep my pinball in the arcades. Maybe I'll get to liking them more someday, but cutting my disc golf teeth on the Houston courses I've "grown up" with more bomber style layouts.

ERic

Latest posts