• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you pay $100 bucks to play with a pro?

Would you pay $100 buck to play with a pro

• Total voters

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
ballgolfconvert made a post that he would gladly pay $100 to play a pro-am with a chance to draw Macbeth or similar as a partner for the round. This is not my thing, but got me thinking. Perhaps there are many that would love the chance. Here is a poll and please feel free to tell us why you would or would not and whom you would pick to play with.

I'd pay $100 for private lessons but not to just play a round with them. That sounds awkward, like paying someone to hang out with you.

Agreed. I don't think either of us would enjoy the round very much.

I get paid $75 an hour when providing my professional service. Of course there usually an hour plus of prep time that goes unseen. So with that in mind, it would be fair for a Macbeth, Wysocki, or a Sexton to charge $100 for their time as a professional. Would I do it? Quite possibly if the top pro would give my some helpful critique and advice throughout the round. But since most of us do not like parting easily with our money, I would initially offer $50 and go from there.

I paid a pro $20 many, many years ago for a round together. He offered many pointers and tips, some of which were actually very helpful. I think this was right around or before YouTube was up and running so I didn't have a better resource.

I'd probably do it again, honestly. $100 is too steep for me though, and I wouldn't pay money to anyone unless I was getting a lesson/tutoring in return.

I took a lesson from Nate Sexton way back in the day (I think 2006?) and it was an incredibly valuable experience, we did maybe 30-45 minutes of field work, then played nine holes together. I don't remember what I paid, I was 15 or 16 at the time, but I remember thinking it was a really good deal. I definitely agree that, if done as a one-on-one lesson, even if just on the course, I would have no problem forking up decent money ($100 for a ~1010-1020 pro, maybe more like $150-200 for a top pro) for their time. As stated above, there is travel, prep time, even coming out for one hour is a decent chunk of professional time. As for whether I would pay $100 in a pro-am setting, there it would depend more on the pool of pros, if there's 2 or 3 big names and then a bunch of local 960-980 guys I think I would need there to be like a solid players pack or a particularly fun event/course to draw me out as an am player. As a historically ~935 rated player it's not too hard for me to play casual rounds for free with guys in the low-pro range.

Is this an event with actual payouts? Is this $100 a part of that fee, and so includes some small prizes to compete for, maybe donations to something, etc.? I'd be tempted mostly on the basis of competition + the chance? But just the chance? Ehh... I'd really be more interested in playing on his card with someone against him and a partner. It'd be interesting to see if I could draw a strong partner and hang, with him carrying 99% of the shots on his team haha.

Isn't this essentially what Champs vs Chumps or Luck of the Draw are? People paying for a chance to play with top pros, if only for a hole? Clearly if there's a market for paying to play one hole, why couldn't a similar format be set up where instead of paying X for one hole, you pay more to be randomly paired with a pro for a whole round in a tournament format?

Google found me one Luck of the Draw flyer for prices. Looks like $10 for one raffle ticket and if pay $100, you're guaranteed to play a hole (rather than relying on your ticket being drawn). Also found a Champs vs Chumps sign up that was $40 per person. Seems like those prices, for a chance at one hole (or a couple holes), you could find plenty of people who might pay more to get more.

Just because you wouldn't personally do it doesn't mean there isn't a market.

I'd vote option #3 if it was worded differently. I would love to have a pro on my card but not to the point of paying that pro for the opportunity.

My vote is:

Nope, no interest in paying a pro.

Definitely not paying a dime to playing with whomever this Macbeth character is. ;)

A one on one session with an actual Top Pro then I could probably talk myself into it as it would definitely help my game. But not for a random doubles thing with just a chance to play with one of the top guys or gals, not really my cup of tea.

"Not $100, but less."

Less being whatever the normal cost is for the random draw doubles round at that course/time.

I'd vote option #3 if it was worded differently. I would love to have a pro on my card but not to the point of paying that pro for the opportunity.

^^^ This.

I would not mind playing with a pro, but would not pay to play that round (unless I was entering a tournament, which is different).

I would pay to attend a pro's clinic as part of a group, but would not pay anywhere near $100. Maybe $10-20 per person...

If it were a lesson, I'd maybe see the value to it; however, getting better at dg is so low on my priority list, I couldn't really justify blowing a hondo for it.

Just to play along, no lesson? Absolutely not, ha!

I'm a pro. Hit me up for a $100 lesson anytime. Throw in lunch and I'll give the good pointers.

I wouldn't pay to play with a pro DGer. It just doesn't appeal to me the way playing a ball golf round with Tiger or Rory would. I feel like after 3-4 holes McBeth or Ricky or whoever would be tired of watching my less than perfect form and waiting for me to work my way up to the basket while they patiently wait parked 3 feet away.

Now if we change it to playing with a celebrity like Bill Murray or Bob Weir or someone of your choice- I'd gladly pay over $100!

I remember a few years back they where offering up spots in an opening round to play in a foursome with Ricky , Cam and a few other pros as a course fund raiser. I can't remember the dollar amount on top of tournament registrations.

I am sure some fans would find value it in.