• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Write-in poll: Your favorite disc(s)?

This was a surprisingly hard decision. A lot of discs I wanted to acknowledge. But in the end, I just have to give all 3 votes to the:

Aviar (PnA)

Sorry to say that there are a few molds that I have left intentionally vague such as the "Aviar" or "Eagle." I know there are like 3 or 4 molds of Aviar floating around (and 2 Eagles). Some people were very specific (listing Yeti Aviar or BB Aviar or Eagle X), but a bunch more people just said "Aviar" and I didn't want to try and ask everyone what they were really voting for, so I just left the disc listed without their variants. It bothers me that it's not broken out more (probably more than it bothers most of you), but when you do a write-in poll, it's hard to be more specific, so sorry for that. Anyway, here's the latest tally:

v8dnyc3.png

People love their putters, which doesn't surprise me (at first it looked like it was going to be even more heavily skewed towards putters). It also doesn't surprise me that distance drivers are at the bottom of the list. However, I'm honestly surprised mids fair so poorly as a favorite disc. I would think more people would favor mids, but I guess we are by and large a putter- and fairway-loving group. So far the favorites of each type are:

Putter: Wizard (28)
Fairway: Teebird (26)
Midrange: Roc (14)
Distance Driver: PD (15)

However, I'm honestly surprised mids fair so poorly as a favorite disc. I would think more people would favor mids, but I guess we are by and large a putter- and fairway-loving group

That does not really surprise me. A lot of people throw putters to a certain distance, and beyond that go straight up to a control driver (Leopard or Teebird, etc.). And for those that do carry mids, a portion of them will still consider another disc their favorite.

That does not really surprise me. A lot of people throw putters to a certain distance, and beyond that go straight up to a control driver (Leopard or Teebird, etc.). And for those that do carry mids, a portion of them will still consider another disc their favorite.

Yeah it really depends on how far you throw I think. Pros who throw 500 feet need putters, mids, fairways, control drivers, and distance drivers because there are significant gaps between all of those. If you throw 350 on a good day, then you probably need a lot less speed classes in your bag. So if you prefer throwing putters, I could see the mids not getting much action. I think most people on here have at least a couple mids in their bag, but if they don't get used as often then I can see how they wouldn't get to be "favorite disc" as often.

I need lots of drivers for the courses I play. Because of that, it would be tough for a driver to be my favorite disc. Although, the Tern may be #2. I just use fewer molds with the slower shots so it's much easier for something like the Pure to be my favorite disc. I can do so much with it.

Yeah it really depends on how far you throw I think. Pros who throw 500 feet need putters, mids, fairways, control drivers, and distance drivers because there are significant gaps between all of those. If you throw 350 on a good day, then you probably need a lot less speed classes in your bag. So if you prefer throwing putters, I could see the mids not getting much action. I think most people on here have at least a couple mids in their bag, but if they don't get used as often then I can see how they wouldn't get to be "favorite disc" as often.

It was a tough choice for me, but putters are definitely my favorite for how versatile they are. My 5 favorite discs are Inertia, Crave, Theory, Proxy, Envy. I like them all nearly equally for the shots I use them for, and use them nearly equally with the exception of the Proxy, which is also my putting putter. If I were to round out the top ten though, it would probably include at least 3 more mids, if not 4 and a fairway.

I agree with the above, and I've also found that it can be course-dependent. This Winter and into Spring, I didn't play my home course very much. I played a short, technical/wooded hole to practice with putters and for accuracy; and I played a very wide open course that is drivers-and-putters, with the occasional need for a control driver. I really didn't need mids on either of these courses, and had either one or zero mids in the bag.

Then I played the home course again, and I was really missing the mids. The shots were such that I needed my M4 for turnover shots, and some of the distances were too much for putters and not enough for full drivers (for me, of course; YMMV). So I'm back to three mids in the bag for that course, and of course for my Core bag which I would take to a course I've never played before.