• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Write-in poll: Your favorite disc(s)?

Well, looks like things are slowing down, but here's today's update:

7lzgwkm.png

Its SO hard to choose. It's like choosing your favorite child or favorite movie or food. But....

-Heather Leatherman Tern (other terns are too understable, the feel of the HL star blend is superb and it takes its high speed turn at the perfect point and the perfect amount of movement, I have great control on long anhyzer shots with this disc. A+ on this one)

-Electron Atom - this disc is amazing. So straight on short throws and long approaches....i love the envy and proxy and all others i have but the atom stands out.

Comet gets my points for best all-around.

-Heather Leatherman Tern (other terns are too understable, the feel of the HL star blend is superb and it takes its high speed turn at the perfect point and the perfect amount of movement, I have great control on long anhyzer shots with this disc. A+ on this one)
How would a manufacturer make this happen? Is it a difference in the molding process? Is it not just weight?

How would a manufacturer make this happen? Is it a difference in the molding process? Is it not just weight?

They are a dense feeling Star blend that is really tacky once its worked in, but not too flexible and all are 175g. I had a 175g Champ tern and a 171g Star tern, the Star was WICKED understable and the Champ was almost beefy, but the HL Star is like the stability of the champ but the feel of star and sweet spot is spot on. I think all terns should be like these were run. idk, Tournament releases get special attention maybe

My guess is that it has to do with the cooling process. I talked to someone who had experience molding discs recently. The mold itself is water cooled, but the cooling can be done faster or slower. The mold itself for a distance driver often has significant dome (and high wing height). If the disc is cooled slower, it should have more dome (closer to the shape of the mold) and a higher wing resulting (often) in a more stable disc. If it is cooled more quickly then the dome will sink more. Of course the shrinkage of different plastic types has an affect as well. I'm guessing that with the HL Terns, they are just cooling the discs more slowly. The Tern mold doesn't really have a lot of dome (unlike say the Destroyer mold), but they're preserving as much dome/wing height as possible that way to get a more stable disc. That's my guess.

Latest posts