• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You can only carry 3 discs a driver,mid,and a putter. What do you choose?

I have read some of this and already posted in here at least once but you're also getting my take regardless.

Driver: VIP Hatchet
Mid: First Run Star Wedge
Putter: 2003 Am Worlds UV Challenger

At the moment, a 146g Mamba, 158g Lat 64 Diamond, and Soft Magnet. But only playing 3-4 months, and my favorites are still a work in progress. That might be cheating - trying to call the Diamond a mid, but at this point, I still find my mids nearly useless. Update: Change my Mamba to a light weight Tern.
Update: That seems like forever ago. As a newer player, only 5 months, and a disc junkie, I guess it is fair to say my favorites change often:
148-150g Shryke or Corvette - toss up
No mids, but 175g Maverick fits the spot for me
Opto Pure (but a week ago it was a Fierce) - the Pure is long enough that I can give up my Watt for the Maverick, but only because the post requires getting down to 3 discs.
That would be the 3, but it would leave me really missing my Valkyries!

I notice a ton of people put down the saint and the buzz.
I just got a saint and it's fine but I'm not in love with it. Just curious what it is that everyone loves about it. I've tried to work the buzz into my bag several times but it is not my favorite midrange. I'd much prefer a hex or emac truth.

I think my three would be something like a fellow for my driver as it can handle wind, it is comfortable from 250- 350 ft and will give you great shot shaping and skip potential.
A hex or emac truth can both go comfortably up to 300'. They are workable for straight or holding an anheizer but both handle power and have reliable fade.
For a putter I'd choose something like a proxy or envy as they are both really comfortable for me to putt with but both also work great as throwing putters.

ringer gt for my putter, buzzzzzzzzzz for my mid section and on the driver I will run the legacy rampage LOL

Westside VIP Air King 157g
Innova G Star Roc 3 170g
Dynamic Discs Fuzion Judge 168g (good luck finding these, I still have 2 backups)

Depending on the wind conditions I might swap the King
for an Innova G Star Mamba 139g.
Oh man, you have an Air King.. Finding air discs became almost impossible during Covid. Air Kings and Air Bolts are still really hard to find. How does the Fuzion plastic differ from Lucid?

Vibrum Unlace 165g driver, Discraft Buzz midrange, and Innova Dart putt and approach. If I was allowed 4 discs I would add the Innova Yeti Pro Aviar.

Driver: Neutron Virus
Mid: Stig
Putter: Reko K3 Hard

Last edited:
Driver, Stalker Z around 170--172 but no more then 173--174 grams as a 175-176 and 177+ gram are a bit beefy for my arm speed as a 176+ weight tends to be a bit heavy for a 180 gram max disc for me.
Midrange, Star Shark around 175 grams as well as approach/windy day putter.
Putter, Max weigh Magnet Jawbreaker or older final run Proline Titanic again Max weight depending on how I am putting that day.

Last edited:
^ I kinda think hex vs tangent is -1 turn away from redundant but still a solid move.

If I called my light Fission rhythm a mid... I'd go

172 Rhythm, 158 fission rhythm, envy.

^ I kinda think hex vs tangent is -1 turn away from redundant but still a solid move.

If I called my light Fission rhythm a mid... I'd go

172 Rhythm, 158 fission rhythm, envy.
Since the majority of the courses l play are wooded. My selection is based on hitting gaps keeping it straight. I played a poke and hope Friday with several tees Plasma Crave and Insanity so I would feel comfortable replacing the Wave with either.

Oh man, you have an Air King.. Finding air discs became almost impossible during Covid. Air Kings and Air Bolts are still really hard to find. How does the Fuzion plastic differ from Lucid?
I actually have 3 Air Kings, when I find a disc that works for me, I usually load up while I can because one can never know when they will make more of them. There are still some VIP Air Hatchets available, better get them while you can. I have 4 back-ups. The Fuzion Judge is another one that is really tough to find. They still make molds in Fuzion plastic, just not the Judge. I have a couple of Fuzion Pures and Wardens. For me the difference between Lucid and Fuzion is the FEEL of the plastic in my hand. I have no clue what the molecular differences in the plastics are.

Depends a lot on the course. Most of the time I'd probably go 2 drivers and a putter if the thread didn't require me to choose a less optimal setup. I'll give two possibilities for the price of one.

Technical course:

Fresh Orion LF
Ethereal Pathfinder
Shaman

Open course:

Millennium standard Scorpius
Zone
Shaman

A fair percentage of the courses I've bagged this year - err, last year - were with a minimal setup like this crammed in a corner of my carry-on bag.

Lone Star Mockingbird, Discraft Buzzz, and Innova Aviar3.

Fission Atom
Neutron Hex
Fission Photon

To be honest I should just do that permanently anyways.