• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YOU make the call!!!

It's not just the noobs...there are plenty of sticklers at the top levels. If anything the noobs and rec players are generally easy-going and the top-dogs get harsh, at least in my other sports experience.

I actually got "called" on a putter with a small crack/perforation on the flight plate in weely doubles...I didn't suffer a penalty but it was called. Actually, I tried to reseal it with a lighter...looks neat...NOT...but it was mentioned by a rather experienced player...and I knew the rule about it...just didn't want to get a new putter.

As a sport/game grows, it will get more complex...when there is prize money, it will get more complex...

It was said earlier that a $100 change in prize money was at stake...imagine the scene if it was $1000 or $10,000 or $100,000 like the PGA issue probably was.

I personally believe in the rules of sport and I personally have pushed them very far in my diverse athletic career. Never to cheat or to be unsportsmanlike, but in a desire to win...when I've been called on a foul and I know I was wrong, I've admitted it and accepted it. But I've also argued when I felt wrongly relegated on "intent" Yes, that incident was worth about $100, too, and a bit of prestige to boot...

Removing subjectivity and opinion is a plus. It doesn't ruin sport, it makes it better because now there is no question regarding the offense and the consequences. The players know, the TD knows, any spotters, officials, scorekeepers, and so on. And we can get back to golf...

Isn't a disc rolling away from the pin down a hill enough of a penalty?

Probably...usually brings a small tear to my eye...

Now if you drop your bag in front of a rolling disc just to stop it that would be different.

But that would be INTENT...which is covered...

Actually, is there a limit on how big a bag can be? I'm gonna carry an ice hockey equipment bag on hilly course from now on and park it behind me on all uphill putts. ;)

Isn't a disc rolling away from the pin down a hill enough of a penalty?

ahhh, but isn't that the point of uphill pins and one of the many joys of our little sport? :p And how would u feel if your buddy's bag stopped his putt halfway down the hill and your rolled ALL the way down? lol

I think most casual players would agree with you, but I think tourny players might feel a little differently. I could see them supporting a rule change to assess a one stroke penalty any time your own shot strikes your own equipment exactly because of incidents like this. Most of the time you're throwing out and away from your equipment, but these uphill putts are sort of a unique case and your bad stopping a rolling disc could make for a BIG difference in your lie for the next shot.

I'm a tournament player who wouldn't.

It's very rare to place a bag near your lie with the anticipation that it will help you. I played some very rollaway-friendly courses (Earlewood!) and miss a lot of putts, but I can't think of the last time my rollaway putt came back right at me where I had to move myself or my bag.

About the most I'd want to see is something like the baseball hit-by-pitch rule; keep the current interference but add that not attempting to avoid your own disc is also interference. (In our O.P. example the player's in the clear because he tried to move).

This is also rare enough that I'd prefer not touching the rules at all. Adding rules for once-in-a-million events just gunks up the book even further.

This is also rare enough that I'd prefer not touching the rules at all. Adding rules for once-in-a-million events just gunks up the book even further.

Are you talking about stuff like when your future self pops back to warn you about some catastrophe and gets in the way of your rolling disc? I mean, it's like, "Come on, Me! Couldn't you have just waited a few seconds?!?"

:thmbdown:

My future self never pops in to help. Makes we wonder if I have a future self. Or worry as to whether or not I have one. I'm punishing him for his lack of support by eating plenty of junk food.

The interesting thing about the OP is that if the bag was left there, the ruling of 'no penalty' should have been the same as what happened by moving the bag. I was talking with some rules officials on this before doing the Rules School article on Interference. They said it's almost better for players to not try and quickly move their gear out of the way once their or another player's disc is rolling towards it so they don't get accused of "consciously" altering the disc if it still hits their gear in the process of lifting/moving it out of the way like what happened here. The idea is that if the equipment is there before a player throws, it's a known obstacle that could be moved if players asks. But if no one asks to move it, it becomes part of the course for that throw. So best to leave it there if a disc is rolling towards it.

^that makes sense to me and was what I was thinking

Could not moving your equipment still be considered "consciously altering" the disc course if you know your stuff is in the way?

It seems no penalty is appropriate since he did try to get out of the way, in either interpretation.

Could not moving your equipment still be considered "consciously altering" the disc course if you know your stuff is in the way?

If so, then you also have to penalize other players if your throw happens to hit their equipment.

I'm a tournament player who wouldn't.

It's very rare to place a bag near your lie with the anticipation that it will help you. I played some very rollaway-friendly courses (Earlewood!) and miss a lot of putts, but I can't think of the last time my rollaway putt came back right at me where I had to move myself or my bag.

About the most I'd want to see is something like the baseball hit-by-pitch rule; keep the current interference but add that not attempting to avoid your own disc is also interference. (In our O.P. example the player's in the clear because he tried to move).

Honestly, I have no conception if this is a real problem or not as I play mostly flat courses. IF this did become an issue, I think it would be a simple way to make players responsible for their own equipment and it's placement (while also keeping the interference rule in case of shots hitting others' equipment). But I absolutely agree about keeping the rules as simple as possible and not adding a bunch of exceptions, etc. I mean just look at the rulebook for regular golf. Probably why nobody knows the rules that well, including the pros!