• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YOU make the call!!!

I wouldn't stroke him.

1) he tried to move the stuff, good enough for me.
2) its already penalty enough to miss the putt and roll back, he is probably going to lay up to avoid the chance of it happening again and takes 2 strokes to get in anyways.

I say yes he gets stroked because there had to be enough time to move the bag. Yes he intended to do the right thing but intent isnt the issue. His stuff was in the way and because there was interference. It sucks but oh well

Intent is the issue. The rule specifies that the path of the disc was *consciously* altered.

A Disc Golf Flopper???

Conciously alters is a judgement call though, like I could make it look like I was trying to pick up my stuff while keeping it low enough to stop anything rolling past.

I say no penalty unless the player in question tried to pull off a basketball/soccer style flop as mentioned^^^^

If at least 2 other players and/or officials agree he was a flopper in this situation, then at least a 2 stroke penalty is in order.

The outcome?

article-1080631-023DD765000005DC-529_468x606.jpg

What division did this occur in? Just wondering,

This was open/pro division. This also explains why the final ruling was important. It was final round, same card, with both players in contention for the same prize spot. I believe the decision had a final $100 swing.

PS...no, it wasn't me. But I had the exact same roll-away happen in a previous round.

No Penalty....the player was attempting to get the gear out of the way. Not even sure they had to try to move their stuff if they were behind the lie.

What if they had set their gear 20 feet back and it rolled into the bag? At that point the bag is simply an obstacle. If the bag was in front of the lie, different story

CyDisc is right here. Intent is the issue completely. Trying to move away his bag isn't consciously altering the path of the disc. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. The player in that instance is Intending to not alter the path of the disc, although unsuccessful.
I think this is a pretty clear case of not being stroked. His bag was behind the line of play, and his intention was to make his putt, which means that there was also no intention to have his bag as a backstop before taking his putt. Double intent. Shazam.

Obviously, the rule allows too much subjectivety. But since we can't re-write it today, I say a penalty should have been issued. One could go as far as to say Player A should have called it on himself.

Intention needs to be removed as much as possible from the rules, as it becomes too subjective. I've both benefitted and been burned by it in my sports career, as well.

I see it as black and white. It either hit or it did not hit the bag/chair/equipment/whatever. One could also say that the bag shouldn't have been placed there, since a roll-away was possible. It's unfortunate, but it's also the integrity of an individual sport where there are no referees.

On a similar note, a two-stroke penalty happened yesterday in the PGA Championship. A player placed his club on the ground, behind the ball, in a hazard, which was a bunker. You may not do this in a hazard. You may, of course, normally. Apparently, this bunker was far off the faiway, behing the ropes. He didn't even know it was a bunker, yet he didn't contest the decision. The rule is a two-stroke penalty for such a violation. Knocked him out of a playoff and I'm sure reduced hiw prize money.

FINAL RULING:

After thirty minutes of the EXACT same disccussions, the TD initially came to the conclusion to offer a ONE stroke penalty to appease both players. Both players refused this scenario due to the prize winning differential.

A call was made to a "major" sponsor who got in contact with a certified official. Final ruling:

No penalty. The player made a conscious effort to move his bag and in no way intended on altering the path of the rolling disc.

FINAL RULING:

After thirty minutes of the EXACT same disccussions, the TD initially came to the conclusion to offer a ONE stroke penalty to appease both players. Both players refused this scenario due to the prize winning differential.

A call was made to a "major" sponsor who got in contact with a certified official. Final ruling:

No penalty. The player made a conscious effort to move his bag and in no way intended on altering the path of the rolling disc.
"Certified official"? Does that mean his test is closed-book? :D

What would've happened if the guy didn't move his equipment?

FINAL RULING:

Weak call by the TD. You can't offer to split the difference.

Everyone recieves the rules when the get a PDGA membership......2.6% actually read and understand them

This was open/pro division. This also explains why the final ruling was important. It was final round, same card, with both players in contention for the same prize spot. I believe the decision had a final $100 swing.

PS...no, it wasn't me. But I had the exact same roll-away happen in a previous round.

If that's the case I say 2 strokes should be given. Being an open player you have to be aware of your surroundings and also where you place your bag or chair. It's a part of being professional. It happens even to the best of players.

Ask Dustin Johnson if he meant to put his club down yesterday that cost him a win, I'm sure he didn't but its a part of the rules.

Did the guy do it on purpose, No, but was there a rules violation. Yes.

Weak call by the TD. You can't offer to split the difference.

Everyone recieves the rules when the get a PDGA membership......2.6% actually read and understand them

Of those 2.6%, 80% THINK they understand them and misquote them regularly and the other 20% are so confused they act as if they haven't read them to avoid conflict.

Ask Dustin Johnson if he meant to put his club down yesterday that cost him a win, I'm sure he didn't but its a part of the rules.

From what I understand, the TD's of THAT tourney handed documents out, and warned players/caddys to be VERY aware of Whistling's 1000's of natural sand traps prior to the start of the tourney.

Having been on that course a few times, it is very different from all other courses played, and new players should be aware of a local difference that may affect the way rules are applied. Especially if the TD's take the time to make that aware to the players.

I carry a rulebook in my bag with me at all times. I may not be super well versed, but I always read the "ask Chuck Kennedy" thread on the PDGA board. I read Rules School. I keep up with all sorts of threads about rules, rulings, and all that business. Im at least a little better than the average DGer in these regards.