• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

It's a Cicada, or sewing bug. It is the bug that makes the long, loud buzzz in the late summer evenings.

Tis a nasty, gnarly bug though. I don't see them all that often. I am guessing they are generally in trees.

They leave those gross little exoskeletons clipped on trees and tee signs too. They just creep me out for whatever reason. I don't care for crunchy, beetle looking bugs of any kind.

They leave those gross little exoskeletons clipped on trees and tee signs too. They just creep me out for whatever reason. I don't care for crunchy, beetle looking bugs of any kind.

I thought it was a dung beetle, lol.

Those are REALLY nasty. I couldn't even imagine lol.

If you don't like the husk, you really might not be fond of the adult!

picture.php

the playground at the school where I work at is LITTERED with the shells. kids like to clip them on their shirts or put them in their hair. I heartily endorse it!

I don't see them very often up here thankfully. If I lived were you do I'd move.

Cicada's are gentle and easy going as can be.

And...they sing a rare and different tune...!! :)

They do sound cool, I'll give them that.

Them and June bugs though...no thanks.

I'm not knocking insects' place in nature, but I'm not snapping pix of every bug I come across, even some of the more interesting ones.

If I did, I'd hardly ever finish a round. :\

That said, I suppose I've never seen a cicada while playing, because I've only been playing 16 years.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking insects' place in nature, but I'm not snapping pix of every bug I come across, even some of the more interesting ones.

That said, I suppose I've never seen a cicada while playing, because I've only been playing 16 years.

There are annual species that show up every year.

Our periodic species has an 11-year cycle. Last time they showed up---first time I was living in the country and a witness---they were phenomenally loud. You just about had to shout, to talk to someone outdoors. Though just an insect, it was a quite noticeable one.

I have, but the Grasshoppers in 2005-2006 were really bad and had those jump into my disc bag, an old single sling my dad has for a small plane travel bag.