• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

On the left this sidewinder was crossing the trail at New Quarter in Williamsburg, Virginia between #15 long basket and #16 short tee. I gave a wide berth for passage. I've seen more than a dozen snakes this year, and had surpassed the previous year by the time June rolled around. Twice I had my disc land on top of one.

On the right an eagle that swooped down about 70 feet in front of me on #7 Bayville in Virginia Beach tearing into a squirrel, then flying off with it. Startled me, and I jumped. Took several pictures, this was the best of the bunch.

Attachments

• PIC_2551.JPG
    PIC_2551.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 104
  • PIC_2693.JPG
    PIC_2693.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 96
86ca4afb88b105f7ab934869e1693160.jpg

Top of Ramcat not2b basket visible extreme left of image and a couple of does on the edge of the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago my friend and I were playing Lake Shore DGC in Pleasant Hill, MO. Just across the road on the right of hole 10 was some kind of (now abandoned) private wildlife center. There was a barn with the door ajar and a few empty cages out in the lawn. My friend skied a forehand and ended up over the fence just across the road. The front gate was open and no one was around, so he went in to grab his disc. Right as he got to it an orangutan (I kid you not) came charging out of the barn shrieking and hollering. Now, my friend ran the 4x400m in track and was a Wide Receiver on the football team, but I never saw him run as fast as he did that day.

Played Currituck County Rural Center in North Carolina this morning, the course meanders thru a horse farm. These three were off of the 10th tee.

Attachments

• PIC_2754.JPG
    PIC_2754.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 48
  • PIC_2755.JPG
    PIC_2755.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 44
Several years ago, one late summer afternoon at shelby farms league in Memphis Tn, our group was walking down the fairway. A very open area with large and small trees here and there. Over a low ridge ahead, a small 'herd' of about 5 small deer came running right at us.
I think they thought we were part of the landscape at first, since they never stopped or ran away. I started to think they were gonna hit us, but when they got about 60-70' from us they smoothly split and went right by us on both sides and regrouped and continued on, seemingly never slowing, just veering barely enough to miss us. I can still remember hearing their hooves hitting the grass and ground.
I think they were hurrying from one wooded spot to another and we were just in their path. I'll never forget that feeling when they were looking like they didn't see us and we might get hit.
Incidentally, before i knew about disc golf I thought the baskets were deer feeders!

Awesome. Though I'd have wondered whether they were running from something that they were more scared of, than they were scared of me.

Awesome. Though I'd have wondered whether they were running from something that they were more scared of, than they were scared of me.

That's for sure! After all this time, that aspect never came to me! None of us thought that at the time, either, cuz we all turned and watched them run away. The bear or cougar, skunk or whatever, could've gotten us from behind! :p

Not on the course, but a skunk story. They are fearless. I thought they were related to badgers and wolverines, but turns out not really.

One night the dogs are barking at something in my neighbors yard. Turns out it's a skunk. No interest in harming it, but certainly wanted it to leave—move away from the fence and not end up spraying my dogs.

I shined a flashlight at it and made a few aggressive moves from about 20' away with the fence between us. Little bastard gave better than I did. Hissed and growled at me. I brought the dogs inside and let the skunk do whatever it chose.

Barely counts as critters I supposed, but my Flare greatly upset this ant bed at Edwards park.

These guys were on the green of the hole 1 long pin and it doesn't get played a ton(600+ with Tina of OB and steep uphill).

Attachments

• AAF13418-005A-40A3-94D2-BADA431D9C63.jpg
    AAF13418-005A-40A3-94D2-BADA431D9C63.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 58
I like to go out and throw a few putts in the evening. Walked up on this guy while looking for my disc in the dark.

Harmless, but stumbling on a snake in the dark with a flashlight is still a bit startling--even though I had already told myself this may be dumb as the snakes have just really started moving and are probably pretty active right now making up for winter.

attachment.php

We have a variety around the house--most like this one are harmless. Do get the occasional rattlesnake and I've seen a copperhead once (only once).

Attachments

• 20220429 snake.jpg
    20220429 snake.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 130
Not on the course, but a skunk story. They are fearless. I thought they were related to badgers and wolverines, but turns out not really.

One night the dogs are barking at something in my neighbors yard. Turns out it's a skunk. No interest in harming it, but certainly wanted it to leave—move away from the fence and not end up spraying my dogs.

I shined a flashlight at it and made a few aggressive moves from about 20' away with the fence between us. Little bastard gave better than I did. Hissed and growled at me. I brought the dogs inside and let the skunk do whatever it chose.
"I had my first encounter ever with a skunk here on hole 6, I almost stepped on Pepe Le Pew and he growled at me while I was searching for my drive, luckily he didn't spray."
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=8437&page=1&sort=date_desc&mode=rev#70717

I was having lunch with a handful of 50+ guys at a tournament last weekend. In the distance I see what are obviously a couple raptors in the sky, in the distance. One large bird and a smaller one, serious about harassing the larger bird of prey. I assumed a Red Tail Hawk and a Coopers Hawk. Both prevalent in the area and the park. Pointed it out to the guys, all were duly impressed. As I watched, I kept thinking, dang...that is a BIG Red Tail. Several minutes went by as they circled their way to overhead. We all then saw it was actually a Bald Eagle being harassed by a Red Tail Hawk. The Red Tail was very heated and diligent in his harassment. The Eagle was quite indifferent. Very cool.

I was having lunch with a handful of 50+ guys at a tournament last weekend. In the distance I see what are obviously a couple raptors in the sky, in the distance. One large bird and a smaller one, serious about harassing the larger bird of prey. I assumed a Red Tail Hawk and a Coopers Hawk. Both prevalent in the area and the park. Pointed it out to the guys, all were duly impressed. As I watched, I kept thinking, dang...that is a BIG Red Tail. Several minutes went by as they circled their way to overhead. We all then saw it was actually a Bald Eagle being harassed by a Red Tail Hawk. The Red Tail was very heated and diligent in his harassment. The Eagle was quite indifferent. Very cool.

Bald Eagles are opportunists. I've seen one that perched in a tree near a pond. As an osprey would catch a fish and start flying back to its nest, the eagle would swoop down at it and try to get the fish away. The osprey got away with the fish, but the next time the eagle didn't see the second osprey and when it went after the one with the fish, the other one dove down at it and chased it off.

I was heading home from a tournament last fall Winchester, VA. about and hour or two before dusk on a small country road. As I am driving down the road I notice something in drainage swale in front of someone house just off the road.

As I got closer I thought wow those homeowners did amazing job replicating an American eagle in their front yard. It was huge like 4 feet tall. And then all of a sudden as I was 10 feet away this humongous bird turned it neck to stare right into me. Nothing else moved as it sat there staring at me.

I swerved a bit, that bird is real, alive and munching on something. Standing there right next to my car. Their feet are HUGE.

Bald Eagles are pretty nasty, trashy birds. there. I feel better having said that. they have a dreadful call, too!

Took a raft trip in Alaska a few years back and the stretch of river was a sanctuary for Eagles. Hundreds of them. They are indeed a pretty nasty, trashy bird. You rarely hear their actual call in the movies or TV, they generally dub in a Hawk call.