• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 wrongs= right?

The regular layout for Sunset Park in Vegas also had a pretty narrow length range from what I remember. But I haven't been there for at least 10 years.

woops - replied to the wrong post

Last edited:
Since I called you out last night, I do want to let you know that I see your point better now - thanks for clarifying.

The one course that sticks in my mind for repetitive holes is Tim Osmond's front 9. I figured you had played it recently on your visits to N IL. Yours was the top review and you said in your "cons" section:
5) Too many of the holes are simply hyzer holes because the baskets are all tucked against or within 10 feet of the edge of the woods. Becomes a little repetetive, although the angles and distances are different.
and you say in the "other thoughts":
Most holes are right to left as they wind around the woods edge which gets repetetive, but the trees and scrub brush creat some forced lines.

My point and you agree, is that this sort of design is a con....a feature that adds up to making a good course worse.....or making a course outright bad. And, I objected to your comment saying that no one has the right to call a course bad.

My belief is that we are critiquing courses here and we have the right to call courses for what they are. I realize it can come across as harsh and ungrateful to those who did the political, planning, installing and maintaining work, but.........

I am with you on all this . . . my only point is reviewing a course is different than bitching about it being rhbh favoring. I play every course as it is even if it is repetetive and boring . . . but I have no right to complain and say it favors one person over another. A review tells it how it is . . . but everyone still has to play the shots well. So while my review may be factual . . . my opinion of a course favoring left to right shots is still only my opinion. I think we are on the same page.

P.S. I did have a few drinks so maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been . . . but I knew I said what I wanted to.

Maybe some of us sidearm or lefty throwers should start complaining about righty dominant courses. I think we'd fill the entire forums with complaints.

There are so many posts here, it's hard to know where to jump in. I'm obviously late. :eek:

The above post appears to be sarcastic (hard to tell in text, I know), but I totally agree with it, and I think it was Innovadude's point. As a primarily RHBH player, I don't like courses that favor RH hyzer any more than those that favor RH anhyzer. The point is that I believe that a course should test overall disc golf skill relatively equally to be considered a "good" course.

Similarly, a test of general knowledge that had 80 questions on Michigan tax law and 20 general knowledge questions would not be a very good test of general knowledge.

To be clear, by the way, imbalanced courses may be a) fun to play b) cool, and c) challenging. I just don't feel that they are as good for tournament\competitive play as they favor a particular type of player.

By the way, is perfect balance achievable? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be the goal.

My $0.02, having not played Black Locust yet, just as theoretical argument.

BLM

There are so many posts here, it's hard to know where to jump in. I'm obviously late. :eek:

The above post appears to be sarcastic (hard to tell in text, I know), but I totally agree with it, and I think it was Innovadude's point. As a primarily RHBH player, I don't like courses that favor RH hyzer any more than those that favor RH anhyzer. The point is that I believe that a course should test overall disc golf skill relatively equally to be considered a "good" course.

Similarly, a test of general knowledge that had 80 questions on Michigan tax law and 20 general knowledge questions would not be a very good test of general knowledge.

To be clear, by the way, imbalanced courses may be a) fun to play b) cool, and c) challenging. I just don't feel that they are as good for tournament\competitive play as they favor a particular type of player.

By the way, is perfect balance achievable? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be the goal.

My $0.02, having not played Black Locust yet, just as theoretical argument.

BLM

Well said, it doesn't matter what kind of bias you're talking about, if it's there then the course design isn't the best it could possibly be. I don't think anyone expects every course out there to be redesigned to reflect that, just something to think about while playing, or especially while designing a course.

I guess I still don't understand why every course should test every shot equally...

you're right, not every course...only courses that aspire to host any type of competitive play (from NT events on down to a skins match btwn pals) need concern themselves with this. ;)

courses that don't make an effort to test a variety of shots equally can be great courses for practicing, training, or having fun- but cannot be a true test of golf.

you're right, not every course...only courses that aspire to host any type of competitive play (from NT events on down to a skins match btwn pals) need concern themselves with this. ;)

courses that don't make an effort to test a variety of shots equally can be great courses for practicing, training, or having fun- but cannot be a true test of golf.

or host a tourney

Latest posts