• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

The organizers of this tournament are on the ball. I've been refreshing the PDGA site about every ten minutes and there's new scores updated almost everytime. Very quick turnaround.

Every time more people come in Ricky's unofficial round rating goes up by a point or so each time. Currently up to 1106 :clap:

Only 7 players under par so far. Has the wind been getting worse throughout the day?

Can't wait to see Terry's vid to see what the course plays like, especially with all that wind. Hopefully it's out tonight :thmbup:

Looks like the top card tomorrow is:

Wysocki at -12
Ulibarri at -6
McBeth at -5
McCabe at -2

Looks like Ricky's on his way to sweeping the field just like last year.

what happened to Des did she get hurt??

saw on facebook that yes, old injury isn't letting her perform and she has dropped out of the event. I believe (but don't know for sure) it is a leg or hip issue she has had for several years and Old Settlers is a very long walk with lots of small rolling hills.

Looks like the top card tomorrow is:

Wysocki at -12
Ulibarri at -6
McBeth at -5
McCabe at -2

Looks like Ricky's on his way to sweeping the field just like last year.

Definitely on a good start, but a lot of golf left on what looks to be a dangerous course.

I was there all day today. Crazy wind (which is actually pretty standard on this course) but also extra difficult because of all the extra ob they marked on the course.

Ricky's round was just insane these conditions.

Uli threw a full on tantrum after going ob twice on 18. Nikko was cussing up a storm, calling this the worst tournament ever. Feldberg was whining a lot, too. I know Schusterick got at least 2, maybe 3 8's. I saw Sarah Hoakam throw a disc pretty far into the lake. I think a lot of guys were really frustrated with the wind today, especially since yesterday when everyone was practicing there was almost no wind and it was 72 degrees outside.

anyone want to bet plastic that Uli isnt even on the chase card after tomorrows round? Dude couldnt finish if his life depended on it, too busy buying and selling to noobs on fb

Would anyone familiar with the course comment on hole 6? What's the deal with it why so many big numbers?

Oh and the Joe Bishop thread = Awesome!

They took a huge semi circle bite out of middle the fairway the right side and made it ob.

Throwing into 20-30 mph gusts, you have to hit about a thirty or forty foot wide strip on the left side about 300 feet down, or try lay up about 200 feet out. The left side is a road.

Me and 2 other guys playing in the tournament unloaded our bags on that hole and i was only able to throw a single decent shot with my firebird, but that still left me with about a 325' shot into the wind and over some trees.

I guess some pros can 3 it but it was a best shot 4 for me using basically ten discs each on the first 2 shots.

Wow! I heard the TD (I believe he was the TD) speak with the DGGuy about "all the artificial OB" in place for the tournament and how it will humble the players, especially in the wind. Yikes. Looks like it's turning ugly out there.

"First round over, first round under 1000 this year. I have never been good in the wind, props to those who are. If I was from Texas , I am not sure I would have played disc golf. I understand the challenge, but I don't find it fun, unless I am not keeping score. Then it is a blast to watch them fly all over the place unpredictably."
-Feldy's facebook

I'm not a fan of watching pros play on courses with artificial OB, but it is nice to see the big name pros go over par for a change.

In my opinion, these courses don't deserve to have a NT event. Without artificial OB, the courses would be too easy, and with the artificial OB, the courses become extrememly difficult and gimmicky. I'm certain there are at least a dozen places that would be better suited to hold an event of this caliber (Charlotte, for example).

anyone want to bet plastic that Uli isnt even on the chase card after tomorrows round? Dude couldnt finish if his life depended on it, too busy buying and selling to noobs on fb

I'll take that bet. What are do you have to put down? I'm a fan of stiff wizards, kc rocs, teebirds, firebirds, destroyers and pd2's.

In my opinion, these courses don't deserve to have a NT event. Without artificial OB, the courses would be too easy, and with the artificial OB, the courses become extrememly difficult and gimmicky. I'm certain there are at least a dozen places that would be better suited to hold an event of this caliber (Charlotte, for example).

People complain about the courses at every NT. You can't make everyone happy. If you want an NT in Charlotte, run one.

People complain about the courses at every NT. You can't make everyone happy. If you want an NT in Charlotte, run one.

I'm not saying there should be one here, and I doubt there will be since the USDGC is so close. However, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to find better courses than this. For example, I think St. Louis has great courses, but most touring pros never play there.

Playing in Austin, I think that there are better courses there and that is only a few miles south. Circle C and Roy G. Guerrero are top caliber courses. All props to Ricky for handling the conditions but this isn't the type of course that I am excited about.

Latest posts