• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Will probably would have won last year if not for the switch, he has this courses number. Some people also take longer to adjust to change. Ricky has to learn twice as many shots as Will because he throws FH as much as BH.

I get what you are saying, but wouldn't Will have to learn twice as many BH shots as Ricky? Meaning they learn the same number of shots but Ricky learns 50 BH and 50 FH whereas Will learns 100 BH?

Also, FH hyzer has to be one of the easiest shots to switch out a disc on, which for Will, is replaced by a BH turnover which is much more difficult.

Will has played like **** for most of the year in comparison to his level pre-Prodigy. There's also no guarantee that he will continue at this level. Maybe he does just play Winthrop well. Honestly he got lucky to even win. Had McCray played the smart move on 17 he wouldnt have had a chance. He missed two gimme putts to win, that's far below clutch.

One thing perhaps missed with these young players is they are young enough to still be growing while we watch their careers blossom. I suspect this growth adjustment can have more influence than changing disc manufacturers.

Why is that in ball golf it's widely accepted that changing equipment can have a huge impact on a players performance. I've heard golf announcers allude to this kind of stuff all the time.

..yet in disc golf you all keep suspecting that changing equipment has little to do with anything.

That's because there can be bigger variance within the performance of the same disc model than between similar models between manufacturers.

At the end of the McFly's final round video I was wondering who's the old lady with the microphone? Then I realized it was Greenwell. :)

I get what you are saying, but wouldn't Will have to learn twice as many BH shots as Ricky? Meaning they learn the same number of shots but Ricky learns 50 BH and 50 FH whereas Will learns 100 BH?

Also, FH hyzer has to be one of the easiest shots to switch out a disc on, which for Will, is replaced by a BH turnover which is much more difficult.
No, because that's still only half the amount of practice/confidence in each shot and because Ricky has to learn FH turnovers, annies, and hyzer-flips, and BH turnovers, annies, and hyzer-flips. If you look at Worlds it was basically all hyzer bombs and why Ricky did so well until he had to throw a FH annie shot at the end that he flubbed. Winthrop is a course that you can't just hyzer bomb your way through.

That's because there can be bigger variance within the performance of the same disc model than between similar models between manufacturers.

you're assuming the effects are merely physical and not due to mental and/or social effects

As we well know. And thus my point that equipment changes may be less important than physical and mental growth which can happen faster up to mid-20s.

No, because that's still only half the amount of practice/confidence in each shot and because Ricky has to learn FH turnovers, annies, and hyzer-flips, and BH turnovers, annies, and hyzer-flips. If you look at Worlds it was basically all hyzer bombs and why Ricky did so well until he had to throw a FH annie shot at the end that he flubbed. Winthrop is a course that you can't just hyzer bomb your way through.

I see your point but I disagree. Will still has to have just as many shots in his bag. Additionally, he has to have more variations of each shot. Will's use of BH annies is not the same as Ricky's.

I see your point but I disagree. Will still has to have just as many shots in his bag. Additionally, he has to have more variations of each shot. Will's use of BH annies is not the same as Ricky's.
Will does have as many shots, but the practice is all mostly BH so making little angle adjustments is much easier and recallable. Also throwing almost all your shots BH over the course of a round makes it easier to keep your rhythm for the next shot, where switching up your drive BH to FH every other hole is harder to maintain your rhythm.

Wanted to give PB a shoutout for the wonderful playing. It takes a few rounds to figure out how to play that course with your game. For those that mentioned PB's attitude, thats him. He is respectful but salty. When he first started playing no one liked playing with him and he has improved and grown so much over the years.

Its always hard to compare years, but man that was a choke fest. Great drama, but compare that playoff to Kenny and Barry. Wait till next year when James Proctor gets there.

Will does have as many shots, but the practice is all mostly BH so making little angle adjustments is much easier and recallable. Also throwing almost all your shots BH over the course of a round makes it easier to keep your rhythm for the next shot, where switching up your drive BH to FH every other hole is harder to maintain your rhythm.

This is definitely subjective.

Latest posts