• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships

Not really fair..and I personally heard the owner say he made it tough specifically just to be tough...he was out mowing with his deck as low as possible "I want the grass so short that discs skip OB"

I thought it was fair. It was hard, but I think it is great that World's has a course designed to kick competitor's arse. I also talked to the owner who, again told me, he was mowing in between round even, as things were drying out. He also told me he was mowing as short as he could......to give the areas he was cutting a chance to dry out quicker. Some he could not even get a mower to, until the tournament was getting under way.

How many courses has AB designed and built and maintains...lol Great kid, I find myself wanting him to win; great addition to the sport.

@37 im the oldest by 7 on like every card, lol...its crazy to play practice rounds with 15y/os
this is how I felt learning the game. coming up through the Int. div. at 34 with a 12ish year old David Wiggins and a young big jerm in his late teens. David would sprint to tournament central after the 72nd hole. I would limp in about 20 minutes later. David was the experienced golfer at that point has he had been playing for years and already had a world title. Jerm and I had been playing for a few months at most.

Arizona has 4 players in 4 different divisions being covered by live scoring right now. Bravo PDGA and you Arizona ams. Get those chains AB, Triston, Jenn, and Kobey!

Love seeing Huey and Austin doing well and representing Charlotte disc golf. Huey is definitely a course mule and masochist, and Austin is a lefty; That's all I require from either of them to get a :thmbup:

But I wore annoyingly bright colors!

But I wore annoyingly bright colors!

What pool were you in? I was in D. It seemed like most players were 25+.

I played pretty poor golf all week, but had great cardmates. Lots of fun. Heading up to Timberidge in a few to check out the finals. Glad I don't have to hike up those hills again today.

Not really fair..and I personally heard the owner say he made it tough specifically just to be tough...he was out mowing with his deck as low as possible "I want the grass so short that discs skip OB"

I threw a round with the owner a few weeks before the tourney. I didn't get the impression that he was building a course simply to frustrate those who played it. I ended up with a 65 there yesterday. If it wasn't for the first 3 holes I played, I could have been in the upper 50's. Felt like a decent round.

Most people view a tournament as a place for players to prove themselves. As a designer, I view a tournament as a place for courses to prove themselves. So, which course turned in the best performance at this tournament?

After six rounds, we can do an evaluation of the courses.

Just to get it out of the way, I'll list average scores:
MBN=57.2, MBS=61.0, OSH=61.4, SPC=63.4, TBR=69.1, VRL=60.7.
But average score is not the correct measure for naming a winning course.

And, for trivia purposes, we can look at where par should have been set. Par (Gold, Real, Definitional, Actual, 1000, or Open) would have been around
MBN=47, MBS=51, OSH=52, SPC=52, TBR=56, VRL=53.
If this Par had been used, the leader after 6 rounds would have been 10 over, which would tell him how well he would have done in Open at a big tournament (would have won something).

It is traditional to use Blue par for Ams. This would have been around
MBN=52, MBS=56, OSH=56, SPC=57, TBR=63, VRL=57.
The leader after 6 rounds would have been -20, and Even par would have been tied for 17th place.

But Par is not a measure of course performance either.

One measure of course's performance is correlation of actual scores to expected scores based on ratings. By this measure, OSH barely edged out TBR, even though it gave out lower scores.
MBN=58.8%, MBS=63.0%, OSH=65.2%, SPC=61.3%, TBR=64.9%, VRL=54.5%.

While Correlation is interesting and intuitive, a more useful and precise measure of how well a course sorted players by skill is Scoring Spread Width of Total Scores. By this measure SPC wins.
MBN=16.0, MBS=16.1, OSH=18.8, SPC=19.4, TBR=18.8, VRL=15.5.

The six courses together produced a Scoring Spread Width of 66.9, which means the typical player was tied with just over 3 other players.

A wide Scoring Spread Width is the result of 1) giving out a lot of different scores, and 2) giving them out in a non-random fashion. We can measure how non-randomly a course hands out its scores. By this measure, OSH is the winner, performing better than 98.4% of random results.
MBN=96.5%, MBS=95.3%, OSH=98.4%, SPC=95.7%, TBR=97.7%, VRL=95.6%.

By 1) handing out a lot of different scores, and 2) handing them out in a non-random fashion, and 3) measuring player skills which are not measured by the other courses, a course can enhance the quality of final results. To measure the combnined effect of all three "course skills", we look at Standardized Contribution to Scoring Spread Width of Total Scores.
MBN=6.3%, MBS=4.1%, OSH=9.1%, SPC=4.9%, TBR=6.8%, VRL=3.3%.

OSH wins the title of "Most Useful Course".

Steve, interesting analytical data. Could you expand on "3) measuring player skills which are not measured by the other courses," and comment on how the skills are factored out?

Further, when planning for a multicourse tournament like Worlds, could these data be used to optimize the set of courses for skill equivalence *and* scoring separation?

Steve, interesting analytical data. Could you expand on "3) measuring player skills which are not measured by the other courses," and comment on how the skills are factored out?

Further, when planning for a multicourse tournament like Worlds, could these data be used to optimize the set of courses for skill equivalence *and* scoring separation?

There are differences in the Contributions that cannot be explained by the number of different scores the course hands out, and how non-randomly it hands them out. The "unexplained" parts could be a result of that course testing skills that are not tested by other courses.

For example, if there were 5 wide open courses, adding a wooded course would tell you more about the total package of players skills than adding yet another wide-open course.

It hadn't occurred to me to split out the "synergy" part, but I will. If we look at how much bigger the Contribution is than we would expect, the synergy of the courses is
MBN=+23.5%, MBS=+7.6%, OSH=+9.3%, SPC=-12.7%, TBR=-12.1%, VRL=-15.5%.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "optimize the set of courses for skill equivalence".

The difficulty is that you need several hundred players to play the course to generate reliable statistics. Now that Am Worlds has been held, a future TD could choose the best single (or set of two or three) courses for the Advanced pool. Or, if the analysis were performed on the Women's divisions, for an all-Women tournament.

More likely, similar analysis can be performed at the hole level. The worst-performing holes could be modified. In most cases, this means making the holes harder, but occasionally a hole can perform better by being made easier.

yes, looks like izak melted on the last hole. AB won by 2

Probably. Congrats to AB! First the USADGC, and now Am Worlds.

(I don't agree with Pros playing Am, but AB doesn't make the rules, he and the others just benefit from them)

Latest posts