• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Worlds qualification criteria

I do agree that Intermediate and Rec should not be able to qualify for worlds through 1 event and they should be capped. If you aren't willing to play Advanced, you shouldnt have an equal opportunity to compete for the Am Open world championship. Similarily, if you arent willing to play Open events, you shouldnt be able to play in Open worlds or NT's.

Booyah! This lowly Intermediate player is gonna be qualified for 2015 Worlds. And I'm stuck travelling to the Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo area anyways for Brooke's family lake cabin week right around that time. Why don't you win that damn thing and let me come in dead last? You can be my roomie....I'll carry your bag when I fail to make Saturdays cut.

I agree with this. The big ones are indeed over. However, we are the land of 10,000 weekly C-Tier tournaments. Unfortunately, and no statement towards your ability, but you need to place consistently well in several of these smaller tournaments to accrue any amount of points.

It seems that most C-Tiers where you play consistently well, but not necessarily finishing high, will earn you about 40-70 points. Assuming you were shooting for 500 points and are almost there, you still have 250-300 more points to go. At 40-70 points per tournament, again averaging and playing well but not lights-out, you would need about five to eight more tournaments. It is possible, but do you have five to eight more weekends you can spare for disc golf above and beyond what you already were planning?

Yeah hunting season is almost here and I was only planing on playing a few more tournaments before the snow flies... Now I may play none because I was really hoping to qualify and now really have slim to no chance. PDGA will be losing my tournament dues to this for sure as I would much rather Hunt and Snowboard if I don't have much of a chance to make the point required.

NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS AT ALL! :wall:

Bad form PDGA bad form... I am not apposed to making it harder just not happy that they did it now.

I am with E_Rock here, no problem at all with raising the bar but I do have a big problem with changing the criteria after 2/3 of the calendar year is now over. :thmbdown:

They should have waited until the end of 2014 to announce the changes for 2016 Worlds criteria. Qualified last year for Minnesota but could not go, so followed a similar game plan to make it in 2015 in my home state of Michigan only to see them change the rules late in the game. Bad move PDGA.

Booyah! This lowly Intermediate player is gonna be qualified for 2015 Worlds. And I'm stuck travelling to the Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo area anyways for Brooke's family lake cabin week right around that time. Why don't you win that damn thing and let me come in dead last? You can be my roomie....I'll carry your bag when I fail to make Saturdays cut.

My future plans are secret to only be shared at Glow. You have a year to get your rating up so we can be in the same pool.

My future plans are secret to only be shared at Glow. You have a year to get your rating up so we can be in the same pool.

Sure, sure, I can get to mid 950's rated by next summer to be in the A Pool. :lol:

Based on this years field, I'd be right on the C/D pool bubble. I'd need to put in a ton of time/work to get close to the B pool. Time I don't have.

You need a reward to do the right thing?

The "right thing" is what's right for me, not for anyone else. But sarcasm aside, it was my goal to win then move up. So I am.

Turns out I can probably qualify in Masters with a few good showings this fall. So maybe it's not all bad.

The "right thing" is what's right for me, not for anyone else. But sarcasm aside, it was my goal to win then move up. So I am.

Turns out I can probably qualify in Masters with a few good showings this fall. So maybe it's not all bad.

You never gave me proper credit for changing your game by guilting you into carrying more than 5 discs.

Sure, sure, I can get to mid 950's rated by next summer to be in the A Pool. :lol:

Based on this years field, I'd be right on the C/D pool bubble. I'd need to put in a ton of time/work to get close to the B pool. Time I don't have.

Youll add 30 points by making better decisions.

So I have a question: If I turn 50 next year, will I get an invite for MG1 even if I wasn't eligible this year? I'm sitting at 199.5 points at the moment, so enough for MG1 but not enough for MM1. I know I just posted about going out and getting it done, and I will, but just want to make sure I get an MG1 invite because that is where I want to play next year.

I hope you get an invite to MG1. When I turned 50 they did not give me one but I did get one for MM1. I don't think the PDGA takes the age change into consideration. I think since you didn't earn points in MG1= no invite.

IMHO, they didn't make it hard enough. They should have raised the initial MPO/MA1 standard back to 1000 like it used to be. The current 500 pts. could then be used as a second tier standard. If that doesn't fill, you go to the waiting list.

Even under the new standards, 198 players got enough points to qualify for Am Worlds just by going to Bowling Green. 37 of them did it playing Rec. Several more people got a lion's share of what they would need.

Another 150 players got enough points for Am Worlds at the Glass Blown Open. Almost two-thirds of them doing it in Intermediate.

I think the PDGA needs to address what to do about the points system in regard to these super tournaments.

I would have to agree. I played horribly at bg ams and got over 400 points just from that. Maybe a cap needs to be institutioned based on division played. Such as novice can only get 50 a tourney rec 100 int 150 and advanced 200. This would force even advanced players to do well in multiple tournies.

Points worked fine when worlds never filled up (which actually means that invites were useless at that point and points didn't matter at all). Now that there is sufficient demand for spots in worlds it would make sense for it to be a combination of points and rating as others have suggested (or simply a minimum number of events played combined with rating). This is unlikely to occur however because the quest for points regardless of rating helps the pdga generate money.

Looks like my 2 events played this year (one in open and one in masters) will qualify me for a GM spot next year.

if points are based on the prior calendar year of which im 19, can i attend junior worlds for 2015 despite not being 20 anymore? this classification has me confused

Last edited:
im a little confused and don't have time to look through this forum.. my apologizes if it has been asked but to get an invite being in the am2 division do i need 750 points by the end of the year?

im a little confused and don't have time to look through this forum.. my apologizes if it has been asked but to get an invite being in the am2 division do i need 750 points by the end of the year?

You may need more. If you read the criteria carefully you'll note that they will invite "Top Amateur Points earners". They can decide later where "Top" starts.

The only thing certain is that if you don't get at least 750 points, you will not get an invite.

Top Amateur Points earners of the 2014 PDGA Tour year: Minimum Standards: MA1 750 pts, MM1 250 pts, MG1 75 pts, FA1 15 pts

All suggestions that include basing Am Worlds invites even partially on ratings are going to give people reason to go back to ratings manipulation ... I am just saying...

I'm interested how you can manipulate ratings in the upward direction if minimum ratings were included in the criteria? Certainly there wouldn't be a reason to bag your rating.