• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Discraft Ace Race

My friend and I went to one in 2010. It was fun but the prize distribution was silly. My friend came in second and got a single disc. The person who came in first (who I'm pretty sure cheated too) got a bag and 10 discs. Hopefully the prizes for 2nd and 3rd are a bit better nowadays.

As for the disc, I would love to see something like a Stalker. It's my 2nd favorite Discraft mold after the Buzzz.

Them discs look like overmolds... :popcorn:

I agree, especially for how it's highlighted in the bubble. Discraft often follows up on other companies ideas, but much too late for them to have any real impact or share of that market. Hopefully they have something new to add or this supposed overmolded may go the way of Z Lite.

Would the mean an overmolded mini too? I thought they were always mini ultra stars.
Getting seat from the skulls is a good move, I like that design on most things, but I do miss the old ace playing card designs.

Any word on this year's disc? Is it usually posted on their site or facebook first? When was it announced last year? I'm thinking it was June.

Details on the disc are usually not announced until the end of July. When announced, it is usually on Facebook and the Discraft Ace Race website on the same day.

My friend and I went to one in 2010. It was fun but the prize distribution was silly. My friend came in second and got a single disc. The person who came in first (who I'm pretty sure cheated too) got a bag and 10 discs. Hopefully the prizes for 2nd and 3rd are a bit better nowadays.

As for the disc, I would love to see something like a Stalker. It's my 2nd favorite Discraft mold after the Buzzz.

I have been running the Ace Race since 2009, and every year it has been a part of the Discraft rules that it is a winner take all event. In 2010 it was a bag and 8 or 10 discs (can't remember if it was in 2010 or 2011 when they dropped from 10 to 8 to add additional player pack items). Sounds like the TD who ran your event complied with the Discraft rules by giving the winner everything Discraft provided and then he gave the second place winner a disc out of his personal stock.

At the ace race I attended last year, there were prizes for the top 8 or 10. First was a bag and discs, second was two discs, and third down were a single disc. I was tied for fourth, after the additional use your own disc round, which was our TD's tie break, I was sixth. Took home a Z Comet.

Just now noticed that they price went up this year to $30. Still a good value and equal to most of the others. Just hope it is two premium plastic discs.

Glad to see a bottle opener as one of the swag items.

I too noticed it is up to $30 this year. Still a good deal especially if premium plastic.

Odd they are doing a t-shirt again. I know our feedback was super anti-tshirt. It added a ton of work for organizers to try and get the right sizes, and then ended up sizing out a bit small anyways so people didn't like it.

Was a huge issue for us, and we made it very clear to discraft in follow-ups that we would never again want to do shirts.

Oh well, since my league isn't running an ace race this year (after running it for like 5 years straight) it's no skin off my nose, but it means I have no great incentive to play in one.

Odd they are doing a t-shirt again. I know our feedback was super anti-tshirt. It added a ton of work for organizers to try and get the right sizes, and then ended up sizing out a bit small anyways so people didn't like it.

Was a huge issue for us, and we made it very clear to discraft in follow-ups that we would never again want to do shirts.

Oh well, since my league isn't running an ace race this year (after running it for like 5 years straight) it's no skin off my nose, but it means I have no great incentive to play in one.

Yes.

Tshirt size management is the kiss of death.

I know everyone likes different things, but around here, we see a lot of the AR swag turn up as tournament swag in later players packs. After a few key chains, a dozen reusable scorecards, a bunch of coozies and my fair share of stickers, I don't mind a shirt.

T-shirts are just too logistically challenging for the TD (unless you set up the online registration like Vibram).

For the longest time, Discraft did hats every year. Back around 2011 or 2012, they started switching it up. I like it when they switch it up each year and would of preferred something different, maybe even going back to hats since it has been so long.

T-shirts are just too logistically challenging for the TD (unless you set up the online registration like Vibram).

For the longest time, Discraft did hats every year. Back around 2011 or 2012, they started switching it up. I like it when they switch it up each year and would of preferred something different, maybe even going back to hats since it has been so long.

Since these are run later in the year I would love like a beanie/winter hat style, those tend to be one size fits all, and could have a huge cool Discraft logo.

But yeah t-shirts are the worst from a TD standpoint, and for players unless you can get one that fits right, it just ends up being donated or something anyways

The players really like t-shirts, but yes, it's a pain to get them all right. I've never had any t-shirt order end up right from anyone. Not just the ace race type events, but even from t-shirt places. Something ends up wrong and you have such a short lead time that things cant be corrected.

I'd like to see caps or something if I'm running an event.

The skull theme they've gone with the last few years has not been a big selling point for us, either.

Discraft bundles all their stuff into one big prize pack. If you give anything to anyone else you have to fork over it yourself. Vibram spreads out everything all over the place, with the winner not getting more than a couple discs. There's got to be something in the middle.