• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Discraft Ace Race

Forgot about that one! Haha. That wing is kind of goofy though and doesn't it turn a bit at full power? Maybe not the Z? I am pretty sure the Cyclone was the first real Golf Disc I used when I started going to real disc courses. Before that we would just use light frisbees and throw at trees. I remember going to Kaposia a long time ago when I was young.

How about an updated Cyclone?

Seem like a bit of hyperbolizing. Not sure there are many putter through midrange holes and the XL, XS, XPress triad fills out a fairly comprehensive fairway driver spread. Discraft is likely guilty of failing to pump out a monthly warp speed driver, but that is OK with me. If you are simply looking for a faster TeeBird, well that my friend is a wild goose chase.

I agree. I wasn't trying to make it sound like Discraft has a lot of holes. On the contrary, I feel like there line up is very solid. I through mostly Discraft/DGA. My bag consists of 2 Preds, 3 Hurricanes, 2 Flashes, Xl, X2, 2 Squalls, Talon, 2 Bangers, Zone, Buzzz OS, Comet, Wasp, and a TeeBird and a Thurnderbird. I haven't beat a Pred into what the Thunderbird can do yet so that is one hole I see. The X2, which is OOP, is the closest thing I have found in feel and flight to a TeeBird but it still flips up in moderate headwinds. Again, that is a hole that Discraft could fill.

For Ace Race purposes, a TeeBird or Thunderbird equivalent would not be as friendly to the wide range of players that the event sees. That's why I suggest a new plastic. That would make me happy. Imagine getting a Buzzz in a chalky "Gateway Wizard" type plastic. How awesome would that feel?

Forgot about that one! Haha. That wing is kind of goofy though and doesn't it turn a bit at full power? Maybe not the Z? I am pretty sure the Cyclone was the first real Golf Disc I used when I started going to real disc courses. Before that we would just use light frisbees and throw at trees. I remember going to Kaposia a long time ago when I was young.

How about an updated Cyclone?

I only said Cyclone because that went toe-to-toe with the Gazelle for bag slots back in the day, so I have been told. Cyclone has the same nosebead as the Gazelle. I have thrown Z Cyclones, and they are pretty comparable to the Champion Gazelle I have. Cyclone is considered a speed 7 whereas Gazelle is a speed 6, though. An updated Eclipse would be cool too hahahaha.

I've always thought releasing a current disc in a special run plastic would be a good idea. A Buzzz, Comet, or Challenger event would be fun.

I'm not sure there are many left unreleased. Ti Comet? I think I have seen the Buzzz in every combo of Flex/Crystal/Ti/Sparkle......Agree that a mid or putter is more friendly to noobs playing in these events.

What I want is a more stable Stratus-like long mid.
Oh wait, that's a Storm and they've been OOP for like 10 years.

Seriously, I've given up predicting anything about the Ace Race.
I'm always wrong...
I've always thought the Storm was a very underrated disc. Been bagging one for years: Z-150... love it for stand and deliver shots where you need some distance but can't really step into your throw to generate power (e.g. steep uphill lies, off the fairway with tangled brush or logs underfoot). The light weight makes it fairly easy to get the disc up to it's relatively low intended flight speed, and nice glide gets it well down the fairway. It can take a reasonable amount of power on a hyzer line, or hold an annie line pretty well with some fade back toward the end.

Elite X's in the 170's are nice straight flyers.

Looks like a lot of you want a Discraft Tee-birdish disc. Try the new Undertaker; it's pretty similar in the air.

Bring back the Phantom+

Or this:

54955_g.jpg

Looks like a lot of you want a Discraft Tee-birdish disc. Try the new Undertaker; it's pretty similar in the air.

I was kinda wondering if the Undertaker was originally supposed to be an ace race disc. From early reviews, it seems like a "good 'un." That makes me wonder if they rushed it off to production early because of its potential.

I only said Cyclone because that went toe-to-toe with the Gazelle for bag slots back in the day, so I have been told. Cyclone has the same nosebead as the Gazelle. I have thrown Z Cyclones, and they are pretty comparable to the Champion Gazelle I have. Cyclone is considered a speed 7 whereas Gazelle is a speed 6, though. An updated Eclipse would be cool too hahahaha.

Yeah that nosebead is kind of goofy looking to me, I'd like to see that undone. Maybe even go down to a 1.5 rim with 21.2 diameter, 1.2 depth and 35 rim con. Smaller just slightly beefier Zombee for control in headwinds midrange. Something similar to the Kaxe but slightly less depth would be nice.

I've always thought releasing a current disc in a special run plastic would be a good idea. A Buzzz, Comet, or Challenger event would be fun.

I've decided to not run a Discraft Ace Race this year after 4 years of doing it. BUT I would rethink that decision if discraft decided to reuse a good mold.

I've decided to not run a Discraft Ace Race this year after 4 years of doing it. BUT I would rethink that decision if discraft decided to reuse a good mold.

Old mold, limited run plastic, and a sweet stamp would mean big seller to me.

Latest posts