• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

http://2017.aussieopen.info/event-info/the-course/

After watching the "flythrough"...is everyone else as unimpressed by the appearance of the course as I am?

It's Australia, out in the bush, in the middle of the summer so that's part of it. The other part is, it's not a "golf course" in reality. It's a lawn bowling club that has a golf course mainly for its members entertainment.

Apparently the DGWT site is a bit better (actual live scoring and styling that doesn't look like Windows 95 for instance). That begs the question though: why even have a separate website for the Aussie Open if you're only going to half finish it (which is what the Aussie Open site looks like)? It just makes you look bad...

DGWT contracted a company to write the code for the live scoring/metrix system. That's why the tech only exists on DGWT's website.

The Aussie Open was not a DGWT event last time, so it had a website, now the DGWT handles that for them.

Kinda nitpicky criticism don't ya think?

Eagle has all the physical talent to be the very best. Does he have the mental game? I say not yet. That 10 he carded being Tin Cup was just a plain old melt down. Cant have it at this level. Plus, I feel like he gets bored easily, and has said he doesn't like playing ball golf courses, which this is.

I am a big fan of his, but I think he is still a few years away from being number one.

Wasnt the Disc Dash for Cash played on a golf course? He had no trouble cashing in on that pile of $$$$. The USDGC bit was unfortunate but are there any other moments like that? I too am not sure if he is 100% there yet mentally, but not far from it either. The vlog he put out after USDGC was some serious talk that sounded years older his actual age.

Should be interesting with Manabu on the top card. I saw his rating and looked him up before the tourney, he did ok at worlds

Should be interesting with Manabu on the top card. I saw his rating and looked him up before the tourney, he did ok at worlds

Yeah Manabu's been a perennial contender since he turned pro about a decade ago. I followed his card at the USDGC in '08 and '10 and he's just a solid player. Throws deceptively far with his 150 class discs and putts well too.

His biggest finish was probably all the way back in '08 when he wasn't nearly as good as he is now, but he got hot and came in 2nd at the Japan Open. Although it's probably not terribly likely, it'd be great to see him take down a major after all these years of playing the game at a high level. :thmbup:

Note that Japan moved from 150g cap to 160g cap at the last Japan Open and someone mentioned they may have recently removed the 160g cap. Anyone confirm this?

Eagle's melt at USDGC was purely one bad throw and persistence with the shot. If he'd have adjusted on the fly he wins. He is learning very quickly and seems aware of what he needs to work on. Me thinks it's getting crowded at the top.

Note that Japan moved from 150g cap to 160g cap at the last Japan Open and someone mentioned they may have recently removed the 160g cap. Anyone confirm this?

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that.

I remember reading about him advocating for 150 class, saying many of the discs fly so well and he thinks people should try them. That being the case, I wonder if he'd throw light, heavy, or a mix of both given the opportunity to play however he wants. Obviously a tangent to this thread, so I'll wrap it up there.

On topic, I don't know if Eagle can hold it down this time, but that's a great first round. :thmbup:

Requests! I'd like!E to see some video of Manabu next round. Should get some, he's on lead. I'd also like to see some Philo and BARSBY. Those will be harder.

Ricky and Paul's bad holes all seem to be wind aided. Both drives and putts were impacted. I'm wondering if Eagle's Colorado background gives him a wind edge?

Hope not. This safety restriction I think aided dave's discovery of bliz technology, inadverntly pushing the effectiveness of lighter discs.

So this restriction has been a great thing not to mention making the big guns have some more finesse in their game.

Hope not. This safety restriction I think aided dave's discovery of bliz technology, inadverntly pushing the effectiveness of lighter discs.

So this restriction has been a great thing not to mention making the big guns have some more finesse in their game.
The reasons I heard about moving from 150 to 160 and possibly from 160 to standard PDGA weight specs was to give the Japanese pros more practice and experience playing with full weight discs for competitions outside Japan. Requiring use of lighter weight putters in particular was probably more of a disadvantage than driver weight restrictions. Perhaps Manabu's current performance was aided by playing with weights more comfortable for an elite player.

I was curious to see how Eagle would handle the terrain given how hard the ground is right now -- it's got to be like playing on concrete. As hard and as far as he throws, he opens himself up to huge skips, but so far he's handling it well. That and the 105+ temps, no clouds, and brown grass for fairways has to be like playing in an oven. Great first day, should be a real test for all the players again today (tonight).

McBeth mentioned some mental mistakes he made the first round, and from his body language he looked frustrated at times (banging his head with both hands, etc.). Long way to go still and OB skips may be more of a thing for everyone this next round, so the mental game will get tested even more each round going forward.

Me thinks it's getting crowded at the top.

Seems like it's just getting "more crowded" at the top. Paul was so dominant for a time that it made it seem less crowded. But there are tons of high quality players that could shoot lights out and win any given event. Has disc golf ever seen higher level of competition?

Seems like it's just getting "more crowded" at the top. Paul was so dominant for a time that it made it seem less crowded. But there are tons of high quality players that could shoot lights out and win any given event. Has disc golf ever seen higher level of competition?

I would agree. I'd also point out that while Paul dominated two years ago, Ricky, Simon and others weren't exactly back with the pack. The next couple of years are going to very interesting.

Kinda nitpicky criticism don't ya think?

Uh, alright sure I guess. I write software for a living. The Aussie Open site doesn't even come close to what you see out of amateurs making sites in their spare time. I found like 5 broken links in 10 minutes. If it were just the styling of the site, I wouldn't have complained honestly; looking bad is just a bonus here. There are broken links posted yesterday to pages that actually exist (like live scoring on the DGWT site). If you're going to update the Aussie Open site with a page about how to follow the current Aussie Open, don't you think you would make sure that the links you're posting actually go to the correct places? They could have easily linked to the live scoring on the DGWT site.

All I'm saying is that the web is the way 99% of the world will follow stuff like this (there is no other way right now if you're not in Australia). Google "Aussie Open disc golf" and this site is the first hit you get, and the site has obviously been updated recently so you'd think it has what you're looking for0. If you claim to want to grow the sport, but can't update a site with a post with links that actually work then you're actually doing the opposite. You're just confusing people and making them think that stuff like "live scoring" isn't even happening.

You're just confusing people and making them think that stuff like "live scoring" isn't even happening.

That's actually true. There is live scoring for the featured card. For the rest of the field, it gets updated randomly every hour or so. I "watched" the entirety of live scoring and was surprised to see Manu in 2nd place after all the scores were posted.

Wasn't SpinTV doing next day video?

Yep, we are. Remember they're 16 hours ahead. So 5PM PST is only 9AM in Perth. A realistic (but still really quick) turnaround time on these is "lunchtime" next day.

So I'd expect it right around the time the lead card goes off for round 2, maybe a little after. The Jomez crew is doing this work for us, so you know they're grinding hard. :)

Latest posts