• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Memorial Championship

Halcón

Free At Last
Keith Murray, the TD, was on Smashboxx last night. Seems like we just did this, but registration is open today for the event and it's filling fast.

They changed the tourney back to old school by removing Fiesta Lakes from the rotation. Now it's just Vista and Fountain again. This has cut the field by a third, so I'm not sure how well this will sit with the players.

For the pro side, I hope that McBeast remains healthy so he can win his 30th Memorial in a row. :p
Paige Pierce always plays well too, so she'll prolly take FPO.

Without looking it up, I wanna say he's won 5 out of the last 7 years. Jerm and Will won a couple in there. Either way, he does very well at the event.

Good recall. 5/7 since 2011, Jerm and Will are the only other winners.

What place did he get in 2010 (without looking it up!)? :D:D

What place did he get in 2010 (without looking it up!)? :D:D

Ugh, that's before I even knew what disc golf was. :p

I'll just take a stab and say 5th. Didn't Doss win that year? We seem to forget how good of a disc golfer Nate Doss is.

Ugh, that's before I even knew what disc golf was. :p

I'll just take a stab and say 5th. Didn't Doss win that year? We seem to forget how good of a disc golfer Nate Doss is.

Close! 6th.

In 2010 Feldberg bested Anthon by 3. Philo/Climo tied to round out the podium, finishing 4 behind the Beard.

FH is so boring to watch. I wonder if its any different playing it.

It is. I agree that watching the top players is pretty boring. As a mid level Am player, it's pretty challenging and fun to play - it might squeak its way into my top 100 courses played, definitely not my most favorite ever, but I enjoy playing it while I'm there.

It is. I agree that watching the top players is pretty boring. As a mid level Am player, it's pretty challenging and fun to play - it might squeak its way into my top 100 courses played, definitely not my most favorite ever, but I enjoy playing it while I'm there.

The weather and being there in winter would be awesome. But just watching it, seems like the cure for insomnia.

Looks beautiful, but also looks dull.

Then again were spoiled here in MN and WI by the woods play.

Didn't Murray say the decision was for the players, though? I'm sure they won't mind the pole outs...

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/11/02/fiesta-lakes-2018-memorial-championship/

Yep, Murray and Dodge both said that's where their focus was (and clearly the subtext of that is the basket issue, and the player's preference for fewer courses played per event).

Field size for MPO and FPO won't be affected--MPO is at 180 and FPO at 36, just like it's been for the last 5 or so years.

FH is so boring to watch. I wonder if its any different playing it.

FH is boring on camera, agreed wholeheartedly. It's admittedly much more fun to play than to watch. Most of the tee shots are pretty scary (though not always for the right reasons, i.e. safety)...so there's a huge difference in how the Pros vs. Ams are able to score on it.

I don't think it's anywhere close to the best our sport has to offer (by any metric), but it is more fun to play than watch.

FH is boring on camera, agreed wholeheartedly. It's admittedly much more fun to play than to watch. Most of the tee shots are pretty scary (though not always for the right reasons, i.e. safety)...so there's a huge difference in how the Pros vs. Ams are able to score on it.

I don't think it's anywhere close to the best our sport has to offer (by any metric), but it is more fun to play than watch.

I would without a doubt lose over half my bag playing that course (I play risky and cant drive worth much). It seems like a beautiful vacation course if in the area. Or maybe Im really wishing I was there since we have snow in MN and that heat in AZ looks pretty attractive right now.

FH is a pretty fun course to play, and it makes for a really easy to spectate course. The weirdest part is one time I was there there were multiple 60+ year old couples making out on the fairways.

I'm hoping they have finally decided to redesign the hole(s) around 9(?) in the corner, at least for Memorial play, so there's not the perennial number of groups stacking up there, especially with the groups in contention at the end of the day. I realize the courses have bigger problems with pedestrian traffic. But at least the hosts have some control over this design issue.

They are also changing the final round to Vista. It will be rounds 1-3 at Fountain and 2-4 at Vista, with a cut. The new Chainstar Pro basket will be debuting at Vista.

Yea, heard that on Smashboxx. Terry said he liked the baskets, and thought they caught well. I'm not sure I like the aesthetics of ending at Vista, but from what the TD was saying, it's a lot easier for them, logistically.