• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Memorial Championship

lol sure, just ignore the rest of my post. :clap:

and how does what you just shared prove anything? maybe serena would have been smoked by the 800th ranked male in the world. i didn't mention this because all it shows is that men are WAY better than women at tennis, not exactly how much better they are.

What did I ignore? You're just asserting that the gap isn't similar to tennis. You used player ratings to back that assertion up. Tennis has a ranking system. I showed where a 203rd ranked male crushed the best female player of all time.

lol sure, just ignore the rest of my post. :clap:

and how does what you just shared prove anything? maybe serena would have been smoked by the 800th ranked male in the world. i didn't mention this because all it shows is that men are WAY better than women at tennis, not exactly how much better they are.

Ok I responded before your edit.

It shows that the gap is similar man. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding.

Jomez put in way too much work I imagine to film both MPO/FPO at the LVC tournament. The MPO footage all has like 2-3x more views. I enjoy watching some FPO to see how the course plays when you don't throw 500', but I'd rather watch chase card if it's a stacked field still.

I also watched all the lead and chase card videos of the Memorial, and got through like 1.5 rounds of FPO so far. It's just not the same overall. One person is going to dominate and actually has perfect form, but some others are getting there. It's getting better, but regardless of your gender I don't want to see 3 fluffed putts in a row. It's like in round 2 at LVC when there was the whole weather situation that shook up the lead card from the first day. I was looking forward to later rounds when the top rated players got back on the lead card.

??? That still doesn't prove your point about the gaps between the sports.

I meant your very last post. The one I quoted.

Jesus, this conversation has been like talking to a brick wall. Thanks for the headache :wall:

no problem :hfive:

Women's tennis is more popular because it is so much more accessible at a young age (or any age really).

Schools, camps, etc.

They start from a bottom up model.

Because of the high participation at a young age (and continuation into adulthood) you see more sponsors investing money.

Lots more women play tennis casually or as a hobby/exercise than basketball.

People didn't just throw money at women's pro tennis coverage and suddenly saw mass support/viewers.

Which is what is sort of being proposed for the FPO side of disc golf.

Maybe we should be more concerned about getting girls/women interested at a young age (or any age) by engaging them locally?

??? That still doesn't prove your point about the gaps between the sports.

I meant your very last post. The one I quoted.

Jesus, this conversation has been like talking to a brick wall. Thanks for the headache :wall:

I won't repost the whole post here, but in the General Discussion thread I brought up the talent gap between the top pros and the general playing public (full post here) and I'm interested in your thoughts. Basically for a TL;DR version, the talent gap between Serena Williams and the average Joe tennis player is huge, and she'd still kick his @$$ all over the place. But, the talent gap between a lot of MA1 players and most of the FPO field is nonexistant, and I'd say a fair bit of the MA2 field could keep up with a lot of the FPO division as well, which makes it a less entertaining to watch than say Women's tennis because they're basically watching the same level of play as those on their cards at the C-tiers.

Disc golf has an amazing opportunity to market the female side from the infancy of this sport.

Why is Women's Tennis so popular, but nobody wants to watch the WNBA?

Tennis actually put effort and resources into marketing the female side of their sport. Disc golf has this same opportunity.

Will it ever be as popular as the MPO? Almost certainly not, but it can still become a compelling piece of entertainment that more average players can relate to.

All indications however show that no such media effort will really be made.

Your post here insinuates that disc golf doesn't put effort and resources into FPO, which is so far from true.

Women get a disproportionate share of the tourney purse compared to their entry fees and division size. TD's all over the world stuff FPO full of the extra added cash.

Also, for all of the times Dodge has gone down swinging in his tours' attempts at PR and marketing, he does make FPO a disproportionately high priority.

Women's tennis is more popular because it is so much more accessible at a young age (or any age really).

Schools, camps, etc.

They start from a bottom up model.

Because of the high participation at a young age (and continuation into adulthood) you see more sponsors investing money.

Lots more women play tennis casually or as a hobby/exercise than basketball.

People didn't just throw money at women's pro tennis coverage and suddenly saw mass support/viewers.

Which is what is sort of being proposed for the FPO side of disc golf.

Maybe we should be more concerned about getting girls/women interested at a young age (or any age) by engaging them locally?

This post is the answer IMO. So spot on.

Women get a disproportionate share of the tourney purse compared to their entry fees and division size. TD's all over the world stuff FPO full of the extra added cash.

This is right on. In this sense, Paige is so much better off than a comparable male pro who can average the same rounds. She was the third highest payed out golfer last year and competes at the same level ratings wise as a male who cant even cash let alone make the cut in the same tourny.

Latest posts