• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

You need to reread the rule book on this one.

Under PDGA rules, missing a mandatory requires you to determine if a disc while crossing the mandatory line was over OB space. What the USDGC is doing is simplifying the matter so one does not need to make that determination and just consider everything missing the mandatory as missing the mandatory regardless of other events that may have occurred. It is actually much simpler (and IMO should be how the standard PDGA rules should be).

Exactly what I meant. Might have worded it poorly, whilst referring to these specific USDGC holes. I know the rule.

Apparently the simple way is how the rule was in the past, i.e. mando miss trumps OB shot. I am all for the simplification but the current caddybook wording is far from clear.

What players are at Monday qualifying today?

USDGC Facebook has been posting updates. The scoreport they posted about an hour ago shows a bunch of names. I saw Matt Dollar, Max Nichols, Lance Brown, and Peter McBride just taking a quick glance for recognizable names.

USDGC-Chains for Charity

For those of you following the epic 20th edition of the United States Disc Golf Championship please think about officially engaging and supporting your favorite player while also helping grow the game. We are on the 48 hour count down to get involved........

Details can be found here:DG United-Chains for Charity

Updates can be found on the Chains for Charity DGCR thread and Facebook: EDGE Chains for Charity.

You know what would be fun to have today? A ProTour set of hole fly overs with descriptions of the hole and changes, just to get me excited and as a distraction from work. Like what they did with Cory for the San Fran Open. Just Sayin'>

From the article:

"led by Avery Jenkins and Jamie Thomas"

God no! That's a hard mute for me, dawg. I can't think of two worse people to put in there; they were epic failures when they tried live coverage on the DGWT, and Avery even fails on post-produced.

I am interested to see what camera angles look like from the tower etc though.

Respect your opinion, but I think Jamie is solid and as long as he does almost all the play by play and Avery throws in some color, it will be good. Avery simply cannot do play by play. He just can't.

https://www.innovadiscs.com/uncategorized/more-media-for-the-20th-anniversary-of-usdgc/

"We've brought in live streaming pros, Fulcrum Media Group, to help produce the "Hole 17 Live" streaming video show for the final two rounds. "Hole 17 Live" is hosted by World Champion Avery Jenkins and disc golf media veteran Jamie Thomas as the two highlight action around USDGC's most dramatic hole. In addition to Hole 17 drama, they can break away to cameras throughout the course to bring you action as it unfolds. There's more. They've got a lineup of special guests who'll share insights and analysis of disc golf's greatest competition."

hmm....getting that "banter fest" vibe again. Hoping it's not.....

That sounds horrible. And the live feed is from the most boring hole of the whole course.

Last edited:
Ran into Kenny Climo on hole 9 (I was spotting during the qualifier) today while he was walking the course. He looked great, confident, and hungry. We discussed the new hole 9 layout; I said I thought it would average 4.4 or so, Kenny wanted to wager that it would be higher!

While he was there, Kenny helped a bunch of volunteers in hanging a 50'x10' Innova banner behind the hole; I guess that was the first 1000+ rated banner hanger!

Last edited:
I guess that was the first 1000+ rated banner hanger!

I highly doubt this was the first time. Given some of the Dynamic Discs videos showing them do more than just play disc golf at events, I'm guessing 1000+ rated players hang far more banners than people think.

Thanks for the Climo update.

Ran into Kenny Climo on hole 9 (I was spotting during the qualifier) today while he was walking the course. He looked great, confident, and hungry. We discussed the new hole 9 layout; I said I thought it would average 4.4 or so, Kenny wanted to wager that it would be higher!

While he was there, Kenny helped a bunch of volunteers in hanging a 50'x10' Innova banner behind the hole; I guess that was the first 1000+ rated banner hanger!

At first, I thought it would be really hard to nice the banner hanger thing, but then, once I got over my adolescent giggling, it was easy enough.

Cant wait! The Jomez hype video was great but I need more! Just watched several final nines of years past and gotta say the JohnE meltdown followed by crazy sudden death was easily the best year. 2016 was dramatic too but watered down by the people not knowing it was the final 9. 2017 one or my favorites won but with too big of a margin for to be interesting.

I think if McBeth shows up in Delaware form he will take another down. But whoever takes it, please please make it close and dramatic.

.... whoever takes it, please please make it close and dramatic.

Using this year's field and last year's scoring distributions, I ran a simulation. There's about a 50/50 chance the winning margin will be 2 or less.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USDGC18Margin.png
    USDGC18Margin.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 334

He just withdrew from the tournament. No return from the Champ after all. :(

He just withdrew from the tournament. No return from the Champ after all. :(

WHAT'D YOU DO?* Chris Farley voice*

I highly doubt this was the first time. Given some of the Dynamic Discs videos showing them do more than just play disc golf at events, I'm guessing 1000+ rated players hang far more banners than people think.

Thanks for the Climo update.

Lewis Bitney helped us set up a vendor tent last year unprompted.