• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 USDGC (Jomez lovefest optional)

I have some really bad news to share. Unfortunately jomezproductions is no longer invited to film at the USDGC. I am very disappointed and sad that Innova has chosen this terrible decision. I will no longer purchase any Innova products and I strongly encourage my fellow disc golfers to do the same. I think the Charlotte disc golf community should boycott this event and put all of their efforts into supporting the DGPT championships.

I appreciate your stance. Are you selling your old Innova products? Rocs? Spiders? Teebirds? Wraiths?

You need to stick it to the man.

No really need to watch this year,

Unless you figure a way to Mcbeth proof the the course, he's going to beat the stuffing out of the field as he has done for most of year...............

Surprised no one started this thread yet. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

2 weeks to go! Just started course set up today. Lots of changes (as usual); based on some rumors, old holes 1 and 2 will not be played and traditional 3 will be hole one, old 4 will be 2, a new hole on the ball golf course might be 3, old 5 will have an older tee pad and will be hole 4 (only about 1,000 ft rather than the 1,100); next 6 holes will be traditional (except being one lower in number). Looks like the old 11-12 will be broken into 3 holes; everything else (13-18) looks like the old layout.

There will no longer be top red/yellow rope--replaced by short PVC pipes (still with the traditional bottom yellow string; the real OB line).

A few holes are now fully marked; most of the OB should be ready this week. Its a work in progress.

Ah, the Jomez cult, holding forth that no other video company may cover a big disc golf tournament, presumably for the rest of time. And to L with TDs and their plans and financial decisions, if they dare to not hire Jomez.

But they are the chosen ones! They will break the algorithm and lead disc golf into the promised land and out of slavery in the land of Innova.

Jomez is good but I'm willing to bet Innova had a good reason to go a different direction.

People defending Jomez like they are the only good production company have blinders on, to put it mildly. The field is catching up quickly (or already doing as well or better, thanks CCDG)

But they are the chosen ones! They will break the algorithm and lead disc golf into the promised land and out of slavery in the land of Innova.

Pretty much. The same thing at the start of the DGPT season, and pretty much anytime Jomez isn't hired. People on these forums used to mock MVP Fanboys and the Salient Squad, but I think they may have been eclipsed.

Which isn't to say I don't admire and respect what Jomez is doing....but they can't be a required service of every big event.

I'll try to if my work schedule doesn't conflict. I can't do anything too physical because I'm still recovering from my surgery.

3as1ji.jpg

Pretty much. The same thing at the start of the DGPT season, and pretty much anytime Jomez isn't hired. People on these forums used to mock MVP Fanboys and the Salient Squad, but I think they may have been eclipsed.

Which isn't to say I don't admire and respect what Jomez is doing....but they can't be a required service of every big event.

Lol Salient...

Agreed. Jomez is great, and I think they are doing some of the best marketing in DG right now, but their fanboys need to dial it back several notches.

Personally, I don't think Innova has any obligation whatsoever to use Jomez.
Whether or not it's the best strategy is a totally different question.

They typically provide good coverage, and it will be free.
I still remember years that I had to wait to buy the DVD.

Sense of entitlement anyone?

Last edited:
Lol Salient...

Agreed. Jomez is great, and I think they are doing some of the best marketing in DG right now, but their fanboys need to dial it back several notches.

You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.

There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.

Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.

This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.

This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.

It seems to me that the PDGA could do a package deal and control all media via an exchange of goods and services. I'm not advocating this, simply pointing out an alternative for others to fight over.

Now, media isn't going to pay for access in our sport, but ad placement and other graphics could be used instead of payment. Majors, NTs and A tiers would all come under such a process. Anything lower is up to the event.

This model gives the PDGA a bunch of power of the delivery of our sport in the media. To make it work better, I'd have a media control group that includes voices from major events to vote on and have a say in the relationship between media and the PDGA.

A lot of folks will be mad about such a thing but think what you could leverage with such a process. Advertising for other events, or across a series. Coordinated broadcasting and negotiation, top to bottom.

Yep, Innova would be upset that they couldn't go directly to SpinTV, but they are a PDGA sanctioned event. And coordinated broadcasting gives them a venue to advertise their event during other broadcast events.

Many sports leagues do exactly this. They do it for a couple of reasons, leverage of a larger product, and consistency.

I just love how in a few short years we've gone from "Is anyone going to do video coverage of this event? I don't care who I'd just love to see coverage of this event because I love watching disc golf" to "BOYCOTT! RIOT! MY FAVORITE MEDIA TEAM ISN'T COVERING THE EVENT BYAHHH!!!!"

Some of y'all really need to grow up a bit and learn how the real world works, especially when it comes to business.

Latest posts