• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 GOLF (yes, the other golf) rules

[Puts on Mechanical Engineer hat]

An adjustment mechanism would probably become a weak point in the device, adding possible failure points that may pose a safety risk. At the very least I'd worry about excessive deformation within the club head during a strike.

[/M.E. hat]

Don't tell me you're like an actual mech engineer in real life .....

A new concept is Ground Already Covered. Say the ball goes OB, the player can drop anywhere along the line of GAC. This is a straight line from where the ball was last in-bounds, back to where the stroke was made. (The line does not follow the curve of the flight of the ball.)

If we applied this to disc golf, it could replace Line of Play. Instead of moving back farther along the line from the target to the disc and beyond, relief would be to move anywhere along the straight line that runs from the position of the thrown disc (or last point IB) to the previous lie.

The two advantages I see are:

1. The player has "earned" the line of GAC, so it's more like play it where it lies.

2. Unlike LOP relief, there would always be a spot where relief could be taken along the line. Most of the time the player would be able to gain significant distance, because usually the GAC line would be over an IB area. But, worst case it becomes like a re-throw.

If I'm reading that right -- and my coffee hasn't kicked in, so I might not be -- if I throw over the basket and OB, wouldn't it allow me to take a lie at the basket?

I got that out of it as well. easy enough to add a "no closer" caveat.

Or, "no more than a meter" closer (which we have now)....unless you want to mandate a re-throw, which may be fine on a putt that goes OB, but time-consuming on a drive that overshoots and goes OB.

If I'm reading that right -- and my coffee hasn't kicked in, so I might not be -- if I throw over the basket and OB, wouldn't it allow me to take a lie at the basket?

He is not quoting rules of golf. These are some strange handicap rules that will not be applied anywhere I know. For instance, the link supplied says: Free Drop If Ball Is In A Divot On Fairway. That will not be a rule of gold anywhere. It's best to just ignore all things from that link, as it mixes actual rules with things that are not rules.

He is not quoting rules of golf. These are some strange handicap rules that will not be applied anywhere I know. For instance, the link supplied says: Free Drop If Ball Is In A Divot On Fairway. That will not be a rule of gold anywhere. It's best to just ignore all things from that link, as it mixes actual rules with things that are not rules.

Whether or not he's citing the rules of golf as promulgated by the R&A and PGA is irrelevant, given that he IS proposing in the OP that we "think about whether to adopt and adapt some concepts" from the bolf world and cites the concept of Ground Already Covered as a candidate for adoption or adaptation.

Coming, as the thread and the specific suggestion do, from a member of the Rules Committee, and given the recent history of RC members floating ideas and rules revisions both here and elsewhere that have ended up in a subsequent edition of the Rules, it is NOT something "to just ignore."

Or, "no more than a meter" closer (which we have now)....unless you want to mandate a re-throw, which may be fine on a putt that goes OB, but time-consuming on a drive that overshoots and goes OB.

Where does it say in the PDGA rules, "no more than a meter" closer? You can take a meter in from where the disc went OB and that can get you closer to the basket - even closer than a meter.

Relief from an Obstacle is on the line of play 'no closer' to the target.

But no where does it say that when you take relief it can't be closer than 1 meter from the target.

I mean, you can get closer to the target, but no more than a meter closer than where you went OB. Not that you can't get within a meter of the basket.

People here are obviously confused because these things were posted as 2023 golf rule changes. They are not.

To add to the confusion, some are. Like replacing a broken club.

Here is a another one from the USGA's announcement:

Rules 10.2b(1) and (2) have been amended to provide that neither the
caddie nor any other person is allowed to set an object down to help the
player with the line of play or other directional information (such as when
the player cannot see the flagstick), and the player cannot avoid penalty
by having the object removed before the stroke is made.

Here's another from USGA:

Ball Moved by Natural Forces: A new exception provides that a ball at rest must be replaced if it moves to another area of the course or comes to rest out of bounds after being dropped, placed or replaced.

This moves closer to disc golf's idea of just put the disc back if it moved.

Latest posts