• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

970 rated plus advice?

Most 970+ rated players have a few things that can't just be obtained by reading forums:

1. They are physically fit.

2. They have the correct body type for disc golf (tall with long arms).

3. They have years of experience.

4. They have a penis.

You need a minimum of all four of these things before you can really start discussing how to be a 1000 rated player.

I know you write this with humor, but I'm still going to take the bait and totally disagree with a few points, #2 in particular -- yes, those points match many of the 1000+ rated players. But I think the most useful advice is going to come from players who don't fit all those criteria.

For those who don't know craigg, who posted above, he's one of the most knowledgeable/experienced people on this board to listen to... he's been playing longer than a lot of the members have been alive, and has averaged approximately 1010-rated golf for as far back as the PDGA-rating system goes, which is just over a decade. I have no idea how long he was playing 1000+ rated golf before that, but I'm sure it was a while.

Many of the best players I've played with aren't necessarily built for disc golf. J.D. Ramirez and I started playing tourneys about the same time back in TX, and he's short, short-armed, and doesn't come across as crazy athletic.

Another Texan, the guy who helped me -- and a bunch of other people -- learn what putting should look like, is Mike Sayre. I know he was among the top 10 players in the world in the mid-90s. He's an unassuming guy who looks like he could be a CPA. Probably 5'8", short arms, roundish-build... and he can drive 400' with a cyclone without looking like he is trying and then straddle putt every shot into the chains from 50' and 60'... crazy to watch. Sayre not only taught me to putt, but also taught me not to judge a disc golfer's skill by his/her appearance.

I imagine that getting your butt handed to you by a 13-year-old like Wiggins Jr. will teach you much the same thing... it's not about appearances. It is about keeping your head in the game, executing consistent shots, and making all your putts.

Try this -- any of you. Take your local course scorecard and look at the distances. Work through the card with an imaginary player who has 100% accuracy up to 300 feet and 100% accuracy at 30' putts. Therefore, any hole up to 330' is a deuce, any hole up to 630 is a 3, any hole up to 930 is a 4...

You can also try this with a theoretical player who can only drive 250' and only makes putts 20' and in, but can do both 100% of the time.

Yes, this is a theoretical player, and we're not taking into effect uphill and downhill, trees, etc... but since any pro we're talking about can throw more than 300', I think this is a pretty good number. They will also make a lot of putts outside of 30', but for this exercise, we're using 300/30 at 100% as hard numbers. See what those players shoot and see how that compares to the SSA for whatever course you're looking at.

I looked quickly at three courses people would be familiar with -- Renny Gold, Delaveaga and Maple Hill -- and ran the numbers and compared them to tourney SSAs from big events in 2008.

* Renny Gold has an SSA of ~70, and playing 300/30, someone would shoot a 55 in that layout, about a 1085-rated round; playing 250/20, someone would shoot a 65 for a 1028-rated round.
* Delaveaga has an SSA of ~81 for 27 holes, and playing 300/30, someone would shoot a 66, about a 1091-rated round; playing 250/20, someone would shoot a 76 for a 1030-rated round.
* Maple Hill longs has an SSA of ~62.5, and playing 300/30, someone would shoot a 48, about a 1107-rated round; playing 250/20, someone would shoot a 54 for a 1062-rated round.

The theoretical, 300/30, mistake-free player above is averaging more than 50-rating-points higher than any golfer in the PDGA, and that's without landing any drive over 300-feet. The theoretical 250/20, mistake-free player is averaging ~a 1040 on those courses, which would be the 2nd-highest rating in the world right now. Definitely in the top 10 no matter how you slice it. So in theory, 250/20 could put you in the top 10 players in the world, as long as you can do everything right, every time, on pro-level courses.

Sure, driving farther helps, but accuracy and consistency are far more important to scoring well. I don't think not being able to reach 400' holes matters as long as you make sure you take ALL of the short birdies.

Test 300/30 or 250/20 with your local course scorecard, and see how that theoretical pro does against your best scores. And we know that ANY of us are capable of throwing 250/20... it's just a matter of doing it accurately, over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

I love this hypothetical. :cool:

OK,
I'd like to offer up a concept I have used in the past for teaching "distraction management", and "short term focus" – I call it – "Remove yourself from the end result".

The basic premise is that in order to obtain a desired end result, you need to focus on, or take control of an ELEMENT of what you're doing, that will LEAD TO the end result. This is a concept you can apply to any facet of your golf game. I'll give you two examples here, and you can take them for what they're worth.

Putting: A lot of folks espouse the practice of "picking a link" of the target, and trying to focus on that, as an effective visualization exercise for putting practice. I say – that this is one of the most difficult things you can do. Based on my concept – the target is ALWAYS – the furthest thing from you – and so by nature, being at the end of the flight is the element which is the LEAST under your control. So……….by removing yourself from the end result, you choose a target that is much closer to you – thereby bringing it MORE under your control, and making it more attainable, and easier to reproduce.

OK Craig what are you talking about right? It's all about learning to "take the picture". Learning to visualize the flight of your disc is the key to this exercise. And really – it's just a matter of learning to pay attention to what your shot does, and what it looks like. I pick a spot about 3-5' out of my hand – and I see the disc pass through that spot at a certain angle, and a certain height. And I know if I get it to go through that spot at that angle, and height, the end result will be a disc in the basket. It's like taking a snapshot of the disc just after it's left your hand. In order to be successful with this technique – you really just need to start watching and become more aware of what your putting stroke looks like between your hand and the basket – logging that image into your memory – and then hit "recall" every time you step up to putt. There is no one right spot to pick – sometimes it helps to give yourself an intermediate object for reference (pick a basket w/a tree nearby, and put that tree halfway to the basket – and use the tree as a visual aid to help "take the picture"). Your spot might be a foot in front of the basket, or a foot out of your hand – it really doesn't matter, so long as it's closer to you than the end result. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to hit a spot 5' away than 25' – give it a try and let me know how you do 

Driving: OK driving is a little different, but similar in some very important ways. In both driving and putting, one of our natural tendencies is to allow that little voice in our head to offer up instructions as to what it is we are supposed to be doing. That little voice is not your friend – in fact he's perhaps the biggest distraction we face in the game of golf. Getting him to shut up is what will allow you to perform what your body already knows how to do. (This is part of why I say – If you can tell me what you're thinking about while putting – you're thinking too much!). OK – so the easiest way to "remove yourself from the end result" while driving is to simplify. Focus on the thing that will result in a smooth release. For me, my most frequent point of focus if I'm not playing well is to focus on "having good feet". I know that if my footwork is consistent, my drives will be also. So by slowing down a hair, and focusing on my footwork – everything sort of rebalances itself – timing gets easier – lines are easier to hit. This is but one example of an item you can focus on that brings greater control over an ELEMENT of the throwing motion that will LEAD TO a desired end result. Maybe your point of focus will be where you stand before your run up – or maybe it'll be some other item – again – what you choose is of no great consequence, as there is no ONE right way to do this. Just pick something simple, and immediate – and you will have successfully removed yourself from the end result.

Giles is right. It's better to be a short fat middle aged balding white guy with little to no experience and no penis. This will highly increase your chances of becoming an top pro.
According to this I should get right on the pro tour. I do have a penis but I am sure I can overcome that.

I appreciate all the great advice being given on this thread and am finding it very helpful. Keep it coming guys.

Seriously, it's certainly true that all sports have physical criteria that it will help to have. NBA players are tall. That's a fact. If you are 5' 9" like me you are not going to have much shot there. Dg has some physical characteristics that help make you better. It is also true that there are exceptions to any rule so anyone can be a good discer no matter what they look like.That being said most of that we can't change and the idea of the thread is to get advice from good players. I have no idea what my rating is but I have heard some good advice here. A lot of any sport is mental and DG more so than most. Choosing which shot to play is just as important as the actual throw. Lets say you are on the tee and you see a chance to make a throw for birdie but it's not a throw you can make consistently. If you threw it 10 times lets say you would birdie twice, make par 3 times but would get in trouble and make 4 bogies and 1 double. So that shot results in +4 over time. But lets say thee is a safer shot you can throw that will get you 9 pars and 1 bogey. You take away the chance of bird but now over time your score is only+1. That is the choice you should make.

Ok here's another one for you. This one is a breathing exercise.

I talked a little about distraction management. It's easy to talk about – but not so easy to practice. But there are some really simple things you can do to SET yourself and be relaxed before executing a throw. This technique can be used for any throw also – but it's easiest to explain in relation to putting.

As you approach your lie, it's important to be relaxed so that you can focus and execute. So as you get your feet set, and go through whatever motions you go through – preparing to let fly – take a nice deep breath and let it all the way out. Take that breath and blow it out all the way through your feet. Essentially this first breath grounds you – it gets you settled into your stance (so do it slowly). Take one (or sometimes two) more deep breaths, and use your breathing as a rhythm. Your putt is going to be all the way at the bottom of your breath. Like exhaling when you are lifting weights – that last push is the last of your breath. The end of the breath is your putt leaving your hand.

This method is especially helpful if you ever feel yourself rushed during putting, or if for some reason you felt as if your timing was off. A lot of times that sense is created by you breathing IN instead of OUT. It's really that simple – your timing was off because you never set the putting action to any sort of body routine. This breathing exercise is THE EASIEST way to get that rhythm in place, and it's easy to reproduce.

Best of all, this simple form of relaxation also helps you clear your head (i.e. remove yourself from the end result), as it gives you a very basic element to concentrate on that has nothing to do with that little voice in your head and the instructions he is so fond of giving. It also imparts a simple kind of cadence to your throwing motion, which then becomes an inherent element of the consistency you strive for from one shot to the next.

I once taught this exercise to a lady golfer by the name of Suzanne Giendl from Austria. She and I were staying at a mutual friend's house for 91 Worlds in Dayton, OH. She had been having all sorts of putting issues prior to and during day 1 of the tournament. Once she learned how to breathe – all of her natural talents shone through – she took 2nd place at Worlds that year - and thanked me for my guidance at the awards ceremony. Pretty cool ay? Give it a try – you'll be surprised how simple it is.

One thing I have learned is get to know your discs very well. Hit the practice field over and over, and know exactly what each disc you have will do for you. The worst thing you can do, is look at a shot, and just reach in your bag and go "Well, maybe this will work" . My nephew does this and it drives me nuts. He has a DX Sidewinder, and it keeps going right for him. He says its because he is just releasing it late, and I keep trying to tell him that the disc is under-stable and designed to do that, but he won't listen.

I hit the practice field at least once a week, and I know each one of my discs very well. I shoot them in the wind as well as calm days, so I know how each one of them preforms. This will also help you trim down your bag, and get rid of any plastic you just don't need. I surprised myself yesterday by throwing my Soft Magnet 175ft. I used to reach for a mid-range for a shot that far, but now I know my putter can pull it off.

The course is fun, but its not the place to learn. Its the place to put to work what you have learned at the practice field

How about some unsolicited advise. I'M NOT 970 RATED

Putting practice is a must for any serious competitive golfer. My twist on this, If you are not good straddle putter, when you collect up your missed putts around the basket (the ones that hit chains and rolled 5' away), put them in with a straddle or turbo putt, maybe even a pancake. Just to get a feel for these shots so when you have no other option you will have a little bit of experience.

Nothing quite like hitting a big turbo putt in a tournament. I've done it several times and the wtf look people give you is great.

If anyone deems this bad advise, please feel free to explain why. Thanks.

As you approach your lie, it's important to be relaxed so that you can focus and execute. So as you get your feet set, and go through whatever motions you go through – preparing to let fly – take a nice deep breath and let it all the way out. Take that breath and blow it out all the way through your feet. Essentially this first breath grounds you – it gets you settled into your stance (so do it slowly). Take one (or sometimes two) more deep breaths, and use your breathing as a rhythm. Your putt is going to be all the way at the bottom of your breath. Like exhaling when you are lifting weights – that last push is the last of your breath. The end of the breath is your putt leaving your hand.

This method is especially helpful if you ever feel yourself rushed during putting, or if for some reason you felt as if your timing was off. A lot of times that sense is created by you breathing IN instead of OUT. It's really that simple – your timing was off because you never set the putting action to any sort of body routine. This breathing exercise is THE EASIEST way to get that rhythm in place, and it's easy to reproduce.

Best of all, this simple form of relaxation also helps you clear your head (i.e. remove yourself from the end result), as it gives you a very basic element to concentrate on that has nothing to do with that little voice in your head and the instructions he is so fond of giving. It also imparts a simple kind of cadence to your throwing motion, which then becomes an inherent element of the consistency you strive for from one shot to the next.
Thanks for sharing this advice. This sounds great. I try to slow down before putting and relax and focus, but I have never really thought of incorporating this kind of mechanism to help facilitate that. I'm definitely giving this a try. I'm guessing that something similar will work with clearing your mind before driving too.

Last edited:
I'll have to come back to this thread when I have more time, but over time, I have posted a lot of advice in a lot of different threads if anybody cares enough to look some of them up

I'm still wating on baskitcase5 to chime in as promised. I did look up some old posts of yours and found some good stuff. I bet you've got more to share still though.

Before I putt, I focus to just being Zen. Putting angry/frustrated doesn't work, even if it is a four-putt. Besides, if you let an extra two strokes on one hole affect your state of mind, it will likely add at least two more strokes to your score over the course of the round.

What a great thread. This is some really good stuff. Thanks!

my latest advice, listen to craigg! haha

he is 100% correct about taking yourself out of the end result and letting your skills that you already have do the work

also, you have to keep your emotions in check - a lot of people get mad/frustrated about a bad shot or string of bad shots, but you have to let it go by the time you arrive at the next hole - getting mad/frustrated certainly won't help you play any better, which I've learned from experience!

Ex: tonight at league, on a course I normally average 10-11 down on, I was struggling, and on hole 7 took a 6 that put me at 2 up... in the past that would have been the end of my round, but I took deep breaths and shifted my focus to the remaining holes - went on to birdie the next 4 holes and 8 of the last 11 to finish 6 down (still a below average round, but could have been much worse)

Distraction management - (and I guess this mostly applies to tournament play) pay no attention to the scorecard. Don't keep track of your running score, don't keep track of your score in relation to someone elses score, don't continually tally the scores on the card when you're holding it. The scorecard is a notorious and common distraction. Allowing yourself to "just play" is a lot harder than it sounds. Sometimes I will carry the scorecard for an entire round (it can be a simple addition of cadence to your game) - but I seldom know how everyone stands on the card until the end. If you find yourself constantly checking the card, or comparing /keeping a running tally w/another player - CUT IT OUT! :) There's nothing wrong with generally knowing how you're doing (we all do that) - but try not to be pre-occupied with it - it's just one more distraction that is un needed, and easily managed.

my latest advice, listen to craigg! haha

also, you have to keep your emotions in check - a lot of people get mad/frustrated about a bad shot or string of bad shots

This is a good piece of advice.

What I tell people is this - when you make an errant throw - don't consider it a bad shot, consider it an OPPORTUNITY to make a GREAT SHOT on your next throw :)

It's back to what I said before - ONE SHOT AT A TIME! One errant throw does not necessarily mean bogey. So when you make an opportunity for yourself, focus on THAT - and not what is beyond that.

If you have to suck it up and pitch out so that you can lay up and take a 4 - learn to do that. Trying to save 3 will more often lead to bigger #'s, which = more frustration, etc.