• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

970 rated plus advice?

read "golf is not a game of perfect" by bob rotella for great advice on the mental aspect of golf, life, etc.

A couple other good books for those so inclined:

Inner Game of Golf

Mental Toughness training For Sports by Loerer

going with what craigg is saying (i'm not 970+, but i figured i'd illustrate his point), the masters (ball golf tourney) was last week, and three guys went into a playoff. the first two hit drives straight and on the fairway (par 4 hole), and the third guy hit his shot into the trees. This guy's second shot was awful too, hitting a tree 50' in front of him. But he was calm. He put his next shot within 10' of the pin. He got a par, and went on to win the masters on the next hole. he just stayed calm, even though it looked like he had no earthly shot at winning.

Here's a very simple piece of advice.

When you are playing with someone obviously better than you, it's important not to try and do the things they are doing - that you already know you cannot! (Of course, if it's a casual round - the exact opposite is true - try everything and ask lots of questions).

It's best to know your limitations, and play to your strengths. If your max D is 250-300 - don't try and keep up with the guy next to you that easiy throws over 400' - you will get frustated and probably hurt yourself.

Instead of trying to "keep up" - play to your strengths, and PAY ATTENTION to what that other player is doing - watch their footwork, watch their release points, check out their grip. Look for obvious differences in how they approach the game.

When people have skills you do not - enjoy the entertainment! Don't let it get you upset (this does happen to some folks) - one of my favorite things in Disc Golf is seeing people do stuff I can't do!!

Super, Tim. Your info is something I can take with me out onto the course this weekend.

Learn to laugh at your bad shots - getting all pissed off will do nothing for your game.

Besides - if you don't laugh at your bad shots................how can I? :) :)

Above all else - this is supposed to be fun - and remember - you don't have fun because you're playing well, you play well, because you're having fun.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post in here. There is some great info in this thread and I'm looking forward to reading more as it comes along!

Playing without expectation

This is one of the hardest things there is to do in Disc Golf.

Any time you expect to shoot a certain score (be it on a single hole, or for an entire round) you are setting yourself up for a bucket load of distractions. As soon as you miss a hole you think you should get every time - it can easily become a hindrance to your next shot, or even to the rest of your round.
This is where some of my past advice gets tied together; 1) Play one shot at a time, 2) Don't get stuck on keeping track of the score, 3) Use your breathing to relax and focus, 4) Remove yourself from the end result, 5) Laugh at your bad shots and have fun!!

The ultimate example of learning to shed expectations? Play a round with your opposite hand. Most people are not so gifted as to be able to throw well with both hands. Try it sometime – and you will quickly learn to laugh at your bad shots – because the absurdity of what comes out of your hand WILL BE entertaining – trust me. And the moment you teach yourself a little something about opposite hand mechanics, and you have a good shot – the satisfaction will be HUGE. Of course because it is a newly acquired piece of success, it will be readily dashed by your next attempt, as you return to your uncoordinated fumbling – which hopefully will keep you chuckling. This is also a great way to entertain and be entertained by your best buds. Want to have a good time? Go out with your homies and either play an entire round with the opposite hand – or make it every other shot – it'll be the most fun you've had in a long time :)

Ok here's another one for you. This one is a breathing exercise.

I talked a little about distraction management. It's easy to talk about – but not so easy to practice. But there are some really simple things you can do to SET yourself and be relaxed before executing a throw. This technique can be used for any throw also – but it's easiest to explain in relation to putting.

As you approach your lie, it's important to be relaxed so that you can focus and execute. So as you get your feet set, and go through whatever motions you go through – preparing to let fly – take a nice deep breath and let it all the way out. Take that breath and blow it out all the way through your feet. Essentially this first breath grounds you – it gets you settled into your stance (so do it slowly). Take one (or sometimes two) more deep breaths, and use your breathing as a rhythm. Your putt is going to be all the way at the bottom of your breath. Like exhaling when you are lifting weights – that last push is the last of your breath. The end of the breath is your putt leaving your hand.

This method is especially helpful if you ever feel yourself rushed during putting, or if for some reason you felt as if your timing was off. A lot of times that sense is created by you breathing IN instead of OUT. It's really that simple – your timing was off because you never set the putting action to any sort of body routine. This breathing exercise is THE EASIEST way to get that rhythm in place, and it's easy to reproduce.

Best of all, this simple form of relaxation also helps you clear your head (i.e. remove yourself from the end result), as it gives you a very basic element to concentrate on that has nothing to do with that little voice in your head and the instructions he is so fond of giving. It also imparts a simple kind of cadence to your throwing motion, which then becomes an inherent element of the consistency you strive for from one shot to the next.

I once taught this exercise to a lady golfer by the name of Suzanne Giendl from Austria. She and I were staying at a mutual friend's house for 91 Worlds in Dayton, OH. She had been having all sorts of putting issues prior to and during day 1 of the tournament. Once she learned how to breathe – all of her natural talents shone through – she took 2nd place at Worlds that year - and thanked me for my guidance at the awards ceremony. Pretty cool ay? Give it a try – you'll be surprised how simple it is.

Craigg,
This piece of advice helped me out tremendously this past weekend. I've only played a handful of tournaments so far and have averaged 928 rated golf. This weekend I played a 3 round, 72 hole tournie and averaged 966 rated golf! I attribute a good chunk of that improvement to having a device in mind to help me calm down and focus. It made me take my time and it really helped me to putt in a relaxed state. I really appreciate the tip! I think it will continue to pay dividends down the line.

Sweet! Way to go Chris :) I followed my own advice this past weekend, and had a good showing at VA States taking 2nd in golf out of about 100 players.

This has been one of the most informative threads I have seen in a while.

Also, craigg I think all of your 134 posts so far have been in this thread ;)

The problem I will have to deal with is which of these things do I focus on first for it to become a habit. I think if I try and change too much at once I won't get the most out of all this advice.

Excellent thread, makes me want to go out and try some of these tips right now. I am not anywhere near a 900 rated player but I can quote one right?.... I will pass on the advice that Christian Sandstrom the guy who threw the 820 foot drive says---

"Throw the disc like you wanna throw it, not like everybody else all the time, find your own style and keep that line. You got to believe in yourself and train a lot, that is the key."

Reminds of when I followed Climo around at Worlds in 2005...I tried to do the things that he did...especially his putting style...my game stopped improving at that moment....I do think it was because I was trying to do things that were just beyond me/ I play with experts/pros and I cannot stand it because I usually embaress myself and think way too much....I tend to play better by myself...I think this is all mental. What I have found is that it is best to just be open to all styles and advice but to really stick to what seems to work for you. Never be stubborn, if something does not work for the first 100 times you have tried it chances are your not ready for that yet. I was once a good basketball player. I improved by playing alone and trying different things. Once I mastered my skills I was ready to go play others on the playground. Perhaps disc golf is the same way...It is best to find what works for you and refine what your good at, rather than trying a style or technique that just will never work for you. I read on here that Climo said he really can't throw a thumber too well....found that interesting. I think I overwhelm myself too much at times and should just keep it simple.....I also think at times I am playing discs and courses that are way beyond me....this can hinder progress as well.....The faster discs will come one day I hope and the harder courses have really only helped my approach/finesse game due to my drives always being off the fairway in Jail etc. My driving game has never progressed because I rarely see whats wrong or right with my drive due to the tight difficult courses I tend to play regularly..need more trips to easier courses maybe.

More Distraction management

OK, so I've given you a visualization exercise, a breathing exercise, a couple basic attitude/awareness items, now I'd like to share a more general awareness exercise that might help you gather these things together to make practical use of them.

This could be called, "Identify and embrace your patterns".
Everybody has "a way" that they do things while they play golf. These are usually very simple things that they don't pay any attention to. But it's the simple things that you can use to your advantage – things that can be used to help you find your "groove" or "zone". You know what I'm taking about – everyone has had those days when they just groove on almost everything – it all seems to work seamlessly right? Maybe it lasts for a couple holes, or maybe it lasts all day. But figuring out how to find and stay in that zone is VERY elusive right? Well it doesn't have to be.

One key to finding that zone is to add cadence to your overall game. And this means doing things in a repetitive fashion. Make every facet of what you do, repeat over and over during your round, and things get more relaxed, and easier to reproduce.

Here's an example of a pattern I use. It has to do with how I approach my lie. As I get near my thrown disc, I set my bag down probably 10-15' behind my lie, walk up and mark the disc, and then take the disc back and set it on the bag. Then I take out the disc I'm going to use for the next shot. By setting my bag down in this way I have done a couple things. I have put it in a place where I don't have to move it again – it's not in my run up, or in my throwing motion – so I have eliminated it as a distraction. I have also provided a little piece of rhythm to my throwing process, set bag, step up to mark, identify necessary shot, step back, wait for my turn, step up and get set.

There are countless examples like this that you can use that add very subtle but influential rhythms to your game. The trick is, to start identifying the ones that might work for you, and to reproduce them (do them all the time). They can include; how you stand on the tee, a basic "mock" throw or warm up swing before a throw, where/how you set your bag down like in my example above, almost anything. Now don't get me wrong, these aren't things you should dwell on while you play. They are mechanisms to help you relax so that you can "let yourself play". Once you have identified and embraced your patterns – they should become second nature – stuff you just naturally "do". They will eventually become the things that identify your own personal style.

Great tips above. One thing to add. In a tournament, I try my best to remain emotionally steady. Sure, it's nice to celebrate (loudly) a great shot, but what goes up must come down and when you get a bad one, you'll surely be down in the dumps about it. Keep a short memory (quickly forget your mistakes and move on) and you'll build consistency.

Here are some ideas from sports psychologist Bob Rotella's golf books that reiterate some of what Craig's been saying. I think Craigg taught Rotella well. This is cross posted on the Pressure thread

(You can find these and many more in a file called "the Mental Game" in the Files section of my DG Resources Yahoo group.)

Pressure

·Focus the mind, block distractions, stick to your routine and strategy as if no one else is around (p. 173).
·To overcome pressure: 1) Stay in the present and keep your mind sharply focused on the shot immediately in front of you, 2) Avoid thinking about mechanics. Instead try to be looser, freer, and more confident, 3) Stick to your routine and your game plan (pp. 180-181).

Thinking:

·Focus on the present. The past is gone; the future has not happened. All I have is the present. Quiet you mind and focus tightly on the shot to be played.
·Throw away expectations and just play (p. 118). Have these goals 1) Have fun, 2) Think well, 3) Enjoy the process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Olorin- in my last round, at Middle Creek in Cary, I actively sought to focus only on the shot at hand and to get my shots in the fairway. It worked! I had my best front 9 for that course (-2), and my lowest score there. Thanks Craiger!

my latest advice, listen to craigg! haha

he is 100% correct about taking yourself out of the end result and letting your skills that you already have do the work

also, you have to keep your emotions in check - a lot of people get mad/frustrated about a bad shot or string of bad shots, but you have to let it go by the time you arrive at the next hole - getting mad/frustrated certainly won't help you play any better, which I've learned from experience!

Ex: tonight at league, on a course I normally average 10-11 down on, I was struggling, and on hole 7 took a 6 that put me at 2 up... in the past that would have been the end of my round, but I took deep breaths and shifted my focus to the remaining holes - went on to birdie the next 4 holes and 8 of the last 11 to finish 6 down (still a below average round, but could have been much worse)

I was on Bazkit's card that night and remember it well! Darn, I thought I was finally going to beat the local Pro!

Just read the entire thing and then realized that it is 5 months old. Glad I came across this thread, Thanks for the bump Tim.