• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A few days with Nikko...

Says the guy that threatens violence to people on the internet.
Day 2

slave_leia_pillow_fight.jpg

its funny the first few times, but now you are just trashing thread after thread...get over yourselves and post on topic...

1. Nikko is proof that the future of disc golf is bright. Sure, hes emotional, but you would be too if you put as much work into disc golf as he did. Young disc golfers with his work ethic AND talent?

2. Nikko plays with a mixed bag. OK, its a Destroyer, Wraith, a Buzzz, and the rest is Gateway... that is HUGE for the sport. This isnt a hack on Innova or Discraft, they've done enough for the sport. But they cannot push Disc Golf on their own, Disc Golf cannot rely on just them. Perhaps the future will be not an Innova, Discraft, or Gateway Team, but perhaps there will be teams of mixed bag players like Keen, or Vibram... pretty much the direction that Dynamic Discs and Huk Lab have been going.

Dont forget Teebirds & Rocs.... the guy definitely has the advantage with the plastic he throws.

Nikko is awesome. He has played in 4 or 5 events I've TD'd. He has always shown the utmost respect and is an unbeleivable golfer. My favorite thing about him is his relationship with my 11 year old son. In Kalimazoo he played catch, putted and played ultimate with him the entire week. He is great with kids. I am a huge Nikko fan and it will take more than kicking his bag to make me feel different.

I dont think nikko ever shows disrespect for other players. He just gets really angry at himself...

Some people do consider self directed rages disrespect for others. I know part of the game is concentrating on the task at hand and shutting out everything else. But when you're 4 strokes behind a guy on your card and he blows a putt that might give you a chance to gain one back and he goes into a fit I think that qualifies as disrespect. I don't care if I'm playing a casual round or in a tourney, I think kicking your bag and spitting out a bunch of obscenities whether it's self-directed or not is disrespectful to those you're playing with and quite possibly people on other holes. Once in a while I understand, we all have our days, but get it under control or I don't want to play with you any more.

Some people do consider self directed rages disrespect for others. I know part of the game is concentrating on the task at hand and shutting out everything else. But when you're 4 strokes behind a guy on your card and he blows a putt that might give you a chance to gain one back and he goes into a fit I think that qualifies as disrespect. I don't care if I'm playing a casual round or in a tourney, I think kicking your bag and spitting out a bunch of obscenities whether it's self-directed or not is disrespectful to those you're playing with and quite possibly people on other holes. Once in a while I understand, we all have our days, but get it under control or I don't want to play with you any more.

Who cares what the other guy does? I thought you concentrated on beating the course and let the chips fall where they may?

Usually when somebody cusses and kicks his bag after missing a putt, the other players on the card smell blood. How does he re-focus after that kind of outburst? I'm honestly curious because I've never seen him play.

Anybody see the HSBC Shanghai Open.. Tiger Woods was mouthing off photographers after he shanked a few shots. It was LOUD and you couldn't miss it.... even the best get frustrated.

Anybody see the HSBC Shanghai Open.. Tiger Woods was mouthing off photographers after he shanked a few shots. It was LOUD and you couldn't miss it.... even the best get frustrated.

Tiger's a BIG baby. Someone finally wrote and article calling him on it this year. Great player, probably the best ever, but a bad sport on the course.

Well, the end of the story with Nikko is, he blew up today on the last hole of the third round at the A tier in Round Rock and it cost him.

Nikko was on the lead card with a 7 stroke lead over the rest of the field. Avery Jenkins and two other gentlemen who I was not familiar with completed the group. Obsenities were running high from everyone in the group except Avery after some less than perfect throws.

The last hole was a short 285' straight shot with OB about 10' behind the basket. There was a thick line of trees and brush on the left side of the fairway angling in toward the basket.

Nikko tried to throw a staight shot a little to the right of the basket and let it fade in. Instead, he turned the disc over slightly and it went in about 25' deep into the trees and brush.

He tried to flick it out and didn't make it. The disc ended up about 7' back in the thick brush. I could tell he was hot when he walked back onto the fairway and saw where his disc ended up. From the fairway, he ran and jumped high into brush, landing with both feet, breaking some small limbs. Even though, the side he crushed the brush from was not toward the basket. He, then, flipped his disc out and putted for his bogie 4.

I was shocked. I told my son who was with me that I'd bet a dollar to a donut that was illegal in some way. I said it could be seen as clearing a path for the flight of the disc.

When everyone got back to the pavillion, I saw the TD, Nikko, Avery, and the others in the group talking rather heatedly. The TD finally penalized Nikko a 2 stroke penalty for destruction of the course property.

There was an additional 9 hole played after lunch. Nikko won by, I believe, 2 strokes.

He got lucky. It could have cost him the tourney. I guess when he hits him in the wallet, he'll learn. Who knows?

Woodpecker

Last edited:
there is a life lesson to be learned when you watch pro athletes in individual events (like golf)

Expectations breed disappointment. When you're the best, and you don't play like it, you're going to be pissed.

Well, the end of the story with Nikko is, he blew up today on the last hole of the third round at the A tier in Round Rock and it cost him.

didn't cost him anything but a few strokes off of his lead. could easily have been disqualified from the way you describe it.

Willfull course destruction, and affecting your lie can easily be grounds for a dq. The only reason he only won by a couple of strokes was the poor putting on everyone else's part in the final 9. Avery had two putt's spit out just on the final 9.