• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I picked up one of those Color Glow Champion Firebirds today. The plastic feels like a champystar blend. It's a bit softer than normal champion, it feels really good IMO.

w81EppL.jpg

The disc was quite flat, I expected more of a dome. It's not board flat, it has a very gentle rise to the flight plate, but its not domey by any means. Overall very flat disc.

X7M2cBG.jpg

Firebird - First run Spark

I don't have any other Firebirds at hand at the moment, the only thing similar that I can compare PLH with is a first run Spark. The PLH is lower than that of the Spark

xuONat1.jpg

Firebird - First run Spark

The Spark and the Firebird looks like they were molded from the exact same mold. The geometry of the disc feels identical as well, but the plastic does of course feel different. The guy in the shop told me that these Color Glows are slightly more overstable than the Sexton Firebirds. I haven't thrown a Sexton, so I couldn't really compare them. I did throw it against the Spark tho, I'd say the Firebird had slightly less glide than my 3 year old Spark and perhaps a little bit more aggressive HSS. The fade started earlier in the flight with the Firebird, but the difference was not huge. Fade was pretty much identical, it had a strong dumpy fade that just continued to bank over into a vertical dump. Very predictable disc

Have anyone tried non sexton color glow champion firebirds? How do they fly, are they just sextons with a different stamp?

They're as much the same as any of the three years of Sextons are the same. FInd a tourney stamp CG FB from the year you like best, and you've got the same damn disc at 1/3 price.

I've been on a bit of a Firebird kick lately. Picked up a couple of Sextons. Picked up 4 Luster Air force Firebirds. Also picked up a super flat current run of champion Firebirds at 156g for utilities and max weight with a tri fly stamp. All are very different but great birds.

Anyone know when Sexton will have another round of tour discs available at retail? I'd love to support him via this means.

Bombshell: McBeth has the Firebird back in his bag

Neon green champion firebird

Round 1, hole 14 HOF Classic

Bombshell: McBeth has the Firebird back in his bag

Neon green champion firebird

Round 1, hole 14 HOF Classic

Is it a Sexton FB? He was using those before the move to the FD3.

He had a metal flake fd3(less OS, but still OS) and a c-line fd3(closer to a firebird) and he appeared to really like them, that's why it's so surprising to me that he made the switch

I wonder if the switch has more to do with going to an all-Innova bag than any other reason... :confused:

Is it a Sexton FB? He was using those before the move to the FD3.

I wonder if the switch has more to do with going to an all-Innova bag than any other reason... :confused:

The Firebird is considerably more HSS than the FD3. I've been noticing this more as I've been working with the FD3. I was hoping to replace my Firebird or Criminal with the FD3 but honestly, it lacks the beef needed for certain shots.

The Firebird is considerably more HSS than the FD3. I've been noticing this more as I've been working with the FD3. I was hoping to replace my Firebird or Criminal with the FD3 but honestly, it lacks the beef needed for certain shots.

It's just interesting, at least to me, that McBeth went through the Firebird, Monster, Sexton Firebird, then FD3s, and now back to FBs when it looked like he really liked the FD3s. Maybe Dave Dunipace will make him a FirebirdX3... :p

It's just interesting, at least to me, that McBeth went through the Firebird, Monster, Sexton Firebird, then FD3s, and now back to FBs when it looked like he really liked the FD3s. Maybe Dave Dunipace will make him a FirebirdX3... :p

The cynic in me says that the reason he made the switches was because Innova won't take Kenny's name off the Champ Firebird. McBeth is just looking to his brand. Another world championship would net him another sig disc, but it won't mean much sales-wise unless it's a mold he throws that either is popular or can become popular by replacing something else in people's bags. The Monster and FD3 COULD have been that disc, but it seems he's never liked throwing them as well because he always ends up coming back to a Firebird. I think the only reason I've ever heard him give officially for switching away from Firebirds was they weren't quite "comfortable" for him or something to that effect. If that were true though, he wouldn't keep coming back to them...

Or I could be completely out to lunch. Just idle speculation.

Latest posts