• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I'm a noodle arm (~330' max), and I've actually flipped over a Firebird. Granted, it was a 151g DX that had previously had a nasty run-in with a parking lot, but it actually flipped. The plastic on that thing was as soft as candle wax.

DX Firebirds are not what we're talking about. All 3 I have thrown (max weight) have been straight to flippy as soon as they take their first tree hit. Stars also develop turn and even Sextons will flip up as they are some of the straightest Firebirds out of the box.

I've bought a handful of the new flat ones, and they are great. I have no reason to want any, I told myself I was happy with the dozen or so FAFs from 2012, as they will never wear out. As long as I'm careful, I couldn't possibly go though them. But the new ones are dope too, they have the same flight, while being easier on the hand. Maybe not quite as good for forehand rollers, but that was a pretty high bar.

What do you mean by "easier on the hand"?

I don't own any 2012 FAFs, but have always wanted one, just not willing to pay what people ask for them. Which is why I bought a couple of these new ones.

I wonder if this new run is intentional or a happy accident. I have always wondered the same about the 2012 run too.

I don't own any 2012 FAFs, but have always wanted one, just not willing to pay what people ask for them. Which is why I bought a couple of these new ones.

I wonder if this new run is intentional or a happy accident. I have always wondered the same about the 2012 run too.

I can't speak to easier in the hand, but I will say that the true FAF Firebirds (which includes that run) I have thrown are really not necessary for anything outside of guys with 500 ft of power, 30 mph winds, or odd utility shots that come up maybe once every other round. I have a couple of that run and they are almost impossible for me to throw over 300 ft.

If you want one, I would also say there is a new run of luster/champ FBs that are some of the flattest and most overstable discs I have ever thrown. They are almost exactly like that 2012 run with honestly a better feel. The one I have was labeled champ, but is very clearly luster plastic, I picked it up as a tournament disc.

Edit, just realized that the new flat pearly run you were describing is definitely the one I have.

It means they feel nice. Most people don't like their discs that stiff, the old FAFs can feel like you're throwing a dinner plate.

I can't speak to easier in the hand, but... ...They are almost exactly like that 2012 run with honestly a better feel.

Sure you can.

It means they feel nice. Most people don't like their discs that stiff, the old FAFs can feel like you're throwing a dinner plate.

Sure you can.

I was simply referring to the plastic being nicer. I thought you meant it literally feels like it's easier to throw. For example, a Teebird is easier in the hand than an xcal. The rim is smaller and is a better fit for me. Or a non beaded disc feels better in the hand than a beaded one for forehands. The 2012 and new run feel identical in the hand outside of the plastic feeling slightly nicer.

I also meant I can't refer to what you mean by easier in the hand as that could mean something different for different people.

This is a run to hoarde. Beautiful pearly plastic, flat, compared side by side to my 2012 FAF and it was about the same, maybe just ever so slightly higher price plh, feels more compact in the hand and a tiny bit softer although still very firm. Can't wait to throw it.

This is a run to hoarde. Beautiful pearly plastic, flat, compared side by side to my 2012 FAF and it was about the same, maybe just ever so slightly higher price plh, feels more compact in the hand and a tiny bit softer although still very firm. Can't wait to throw it.

You're referring to Luster Firebirds, right? Where are you finding these?

Have not gotten a chance to throw yet, but they feel great. Stiff, but not the most stiff champion I have ever felt.

Orange disc is the flattest/highest plh "Flat Topped" Firebird I have (flattest and highest plh I had before these two). I also have a super flat 11x, but it is not quite as flat or high a plh as the orange.

Green is slightly less flat/high plh of the two.

Attachments

• 20181204_160838.jpg
    20181204_160838.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20181204_155841.jpg
    20181204_155841.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20181204_160031.jpg
    20181204_160031.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
This is now the flattest and highest plh I own.

These are pearlly, but hard to capture with my phone's camera. More so than they look in these pictures.

I don't have any original 2012 FAF to compare these to, but I will try to find a local that has one. I suspect these will be less flat and lower plh, but not sure about that.

Attachments

• 20181204_160824.jpg
    20181204_160824.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 56
  • 20181204_155904.jpg
    20181204_155904.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181204_160010.jpg
    20181204_160010.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
This is now the flattest and highest plh I own.

These are pearlly, but hard to capture with my phone's camera. More so than they look in these pictures.

I don't have any original 2012 FAF to compare these to, but I will try to find a local that has one. I suspect these will be less flat and lower plh, but not sure about that.

Where did they come from? I'd like to get a couple.

Where did they come from? I'd like to get a couple.

Hyzerfarm. DCU had several a couple of months back, but when I noticed they were engraved and a new run, I took it with a grain of salt that these were as flat as they claimed. But I decided to pull the trigger on a couple from Hyzerfarm (sold out of max weights now). I expect more of these to show up in the next few months in various places.

I picked up a Star FB several months ago, 170g 2011 tourney stamp. Ugly worn stamp, ugly big ink, lots of surface scuffs, a few dings but 8/10 disregarding cosmetics. Very flat, very firm but not FAF, the plastic seems pretty indestructible though. Just short of stupid OS but workable. I traded a true FAF that I couldn't find a use for, this one I can flex or rip on a FH for FB stuff.

Was all the Star plastic around 2011 like this stuff?

New run stock champ is pretty pearly and not nealry as transparent. It looks a lil lustrous

Agreed, our club just received our Innova order and had some TFR Flat Firebirds included. Man I wish we had ordered way more based on the 10 we received. Strangely of the two I picked out one was as ChefKoolaid described, pink pearly almost luster like champion and board flat. The other was an ice blue that was completely crystal clear, also board flat. :clap::clap:

1100+ posts, too lazy to search. What would a 150 class Champion Firebird fly like?

Latest posts