• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I'm trying out two Star FB's this year to replace some 11x's in my bag.

Both super flat, one newer and one beat in.

Found an orange 12x in the used bins as well. It was an older run, stiff, super flat, can't throw it more than 250 ft if I wanted to... Money!!

Not surprised - seems like Champ is the plastic that makes the mold shine.

I was going to post that I've never thrown a Champ. But then I remembered that I actually did have one briefly before the Colorado River ate it. It flew pretty much just like the normal Stars I've always had. I kinda like the Stars, personally.

Threw a 7ish/10 Glow Champ into a solid headwind yesterday (slight downhill) about 430'...I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing a lightweight Gstar unless it was very specific conditions. 170+ in calmer conditions sure, but no way any Gstar would have stayed as straight as my not super beefy GlowChamp did. YMMV especially at elevation (may be AWESOME for altitude) or for lower powered players, but yeah.

441' Hole #17 Camp Tecumseh in NJ (basket between the closest pines):
ddecda2f.jpg

I could see a 150 class gstar being an awesome overhand disc.

Champ and star 150 class are still pretty beefy, just not as torque resistant due to the lighter weight. My experience with gstar in general is not as beefy as others, but I don't mind that necessarily. I typically always have 2 firebirds in the bag, sometimes 3 depending on the course.

Can anyone tell me how I can identify Jolly Rancher plastic? I found an old shop with some old inventory, and they've got a Firebird in what looks to me like Jolly Rancher plastic, but I'm not the most educated on Innova plastic.

Can anyone tell me how I can identify Jolly Rancher plastic? I found an old shop with some old inventory, and they've got a Firebird in what looks to me like Jolly Rancher plastic, but I'm not the most educated on Innova plastic.

Jolly Launcher Champion plastic is clear. The older Champ plastic was translucent, more opaque than the JL plastic.

So, how those 19 Sextons working out for people?

I'm really liking mine. They have the stability most people seem to have wanted out of the '18s without being unworkable. I find mine similar to my '17 Geisinger Firebird in terms of stability. It's beefy, has some impressive glide, but has the feel and shape we've all come to love and expect from a Sexton Firebird.

I dont own a firebird. I was at a friends house and we were doing some field work using his discs. Ive been playing for about 8 months I throw RH forehand and my previous distance record was 250ft. My first drive with his champion firebird got out 290ft which is impressive for me. My second shot I had been standing about 240ft from his basket. Result? Clank!! WTF?!? This is from a guy that has a 20% putting accuracy from 20 ft.

Next weekend Im bringing my discs is an effort to trade for it even though I know I will probably never be able to repeat the feat.

Latest posts