• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Off topic, I'll have an article about the event up on Friday. Many different levels to the whole thing. I will say that Salient faced the tough questions, and they are also talking a big game production-wise. Get yet :popcorn: ready.

Off topic? Are you kidding? That should be great!

I don't think legit disc golf companies and the PDGA will be looking to slam Salient and ADGT for anything. As far as I know, the companies haven't asked their sponsored players to not play. I think they're willing to let it die on the vine.

That seems to be the play that everyone else is going with. I can't say I blame them.

They keep saying the Am division was added due to popular demand.

I think they meant due to no demand.

Up to 40 players now, I've had 40 players for a winter glow round... Congrats.

Yeah JT made a good point about the whole 'all roads lead to Rome' thing but I think he was just talking about the corporate side. For the average person it's just a giant rainbow and the paint is still wet. It'd be okay if they hung signs but nobody cares enough about the little guy anymore.

I'm just so tired of getting coupons for things that don't exist.

You may not realize it, but there actually is such a thing as ADGT par:

How to set par on a course: 1) Set by either length or 2) Avg total score by top 25% of low score finishers

The lowest "Par" between these two categories will define par for that tournament and course played allowing for Handicaps to be determined. If more than 1 course set up is played then the "Par" must be determined for each course layout.

Below 6400 ft =Par 54
6401 ft-7200 ft =Par 57
7201 ft-8500 ft =Par 60
8501 ft-9200 ft =Par 64
9201 ft+ =Par 68

The "average score...." part is a late addition, but of course invalid for a first-time event.

The distance-based pars are laughable. I have no idea what the thought process there was. Then again, I'm not a "progressive thinker".

so if you have a 9200 foot course, and you move one pin back 5 feet, the par moves up four?

so if you have a 9200 foot course, and you move one pin back 5 feet, the par moves up four?

Yeah, and without any regard to how you divide that total par up among individual holes.

It also seems to presume that all courses are 18 holes. Plug those figures in for a 27-hole course, and they get even stranger.

Does that apply to me or them? I'm not promoting anything, they are right?

It doesn't matter whether you're promoting it or someone else is promoting it. The law affords individuals the right to control and make money from the commercial use of his or her identity (the "right of publicity"). If the individual(s) in the video/photo hasn't consented to allowing their likeness to be used to promote a product, service, idea, or thing, you can't publish the footage, even via a third party, without incurring liability for misappropriation of name or likeness should one or more of the individuals in the video/photo choose to sue. The fact that you yourself are not benefiting materially or financially from the promotion is irrelevant.

[While we're on the subject of consent and releases, note the following from YouTube's Terms of Service
6. Your Content and Conduct

B. You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service. [emphasis added]

That's in there to cover YouTube's a** in case anyone decides to sue. You can bet ESPN3's got theirs covered. Given ADGT/Salient's track record, it might asking whether you trust them to cover yours?]

You own the copyright to the footage, but you don't own the likeness of the people in the footage. If you intend to distribute footage (or an individual still frame from the footage) to promote a product, service, or idea, you need to obtain written consent from the individual(s) in the footage/still frame. See When Photographers Need a Photo Release or Use of Likeness.

In other words...

I make a video of Paul, I can sell that video to anyone.

If I (or anyone I sell it to) want to use that footage to sell something, they need a release from Paul.

It doesn't matter whether you're promoting it or someone else is promoting it. The law affords individuals the right to control and make money from the commercial use of his or her identity (the "right of publicity"). If the individual(s) in the video/photo hasn't consented to allowing their likeness to be used to promote a product, service, idea, or thing, you can't publish the footage, even via a third party, without incurring liability for misappropriation of name or likeness should one or more of the individuals in the video/photo choose to sue. The fact that you yourself are not benefiting materially or financially from the promotion is irrelevant.

[While we're on the subject of consent and releases, note the following from YouTube's Terms of Service

That's in there to cover YouTube's a** in case anyone decides to sue. You can bet ESPN3's got theirs covered. Given ADGT/Salient's track record, it might asking whether you trust them to cover yours?]

By playing in PDGA a Tourney, and me being a PDGA agent at those events they give me that right.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/competiti...ct/36-tour-player-media-and-sponsor-relations

>All participants agree that the PDGA and its agents may publish photographs and other kinds of images of their participation at PDGA sanctioned events.

Yeah, and without any regard to how you divide that total par up among individual holes.

It also seems to presume that all courses are 18 holes. Plug those figures in for a 27-hole course, and they get even stranger.

I'm just going to play a bunch of 9 hole ADGT courses to establish the best handicap on the tour.

By playing in PDGA a Tourney, and me being a PDGA agent at those events they give me that right.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/competiti...ct/36-tour-player-media-and-sponsor-relations

>All participants agree that the PDGA and its agents may publish photographs and other kinds of images of their participation at PDGA sanctioned events.

Not so fast, my friend!

In order for the PDGA's use of likeness release to covers you, the PDGA needs to have designated you as one of its agents.

Also, possession of agency is not a blank check to publish however, wherever, and whenever the agent chooses. Depending on the type of agency and the specific rights and limitations granted in the agency agreement, you may still need permission from the PDGA to publish in certain circumstances and/or venues.

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. Can anyone tell me the time/day for the ESPN3 webcast? I looked all over the ADGT website and couldn't find it. I saw the countdown clock but it's late (early) and I'm dealing with insomnia so doing math was out of the question.

It's not very often that someone schedules a train wreck for viewing purposes, so I want to take advantage of the opportunity. And I want to see if Billy will say "smooth...like butter on a hot roll", or some other charming colloquialism.

If I get bored at work tomorrow I might make up an ADGT BINGO card for the webcast. Any suggestions on items for the bingo squares?

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. Can anyone tell me the time/day for the ESPN3 webcast? I looked all over the ADGT website and couldn't find it. I saw the countdown clock but it's late (early) and I'm dealing with insomnia so doing math was out of the question.
Sunday, 1pm EDT

Attachments

• ADGO.jpg
    ADGO.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56

Ian, I'm sure Billy appreciates the clips very much; I sent some along to him as well. I don't believe he has access to much of the footage Clash collected through the years or he'd be alright on his own. From my chats with him, Billy is working hard to polish up a lot of content before the event so he's not stuck watching guys walk from shot to shot etc with nothing to talk about or show on screen.

I have no dog in this Poop on the ADGT thread and know nothing about the other folks behind the tour, but I will support my pals when they need it. I do think the ESPN3 approach may be a good route to reaching new eyeballs so the viewing figures will be interesting to see.

Joe

I wonder why that 30$ to qualify is specified as cash only. Is cobblestone a cash only pro shop?

I would imagine this is not going through Cobblestone's pro shop, or Cobblestone at all.

There will probably be someone near Hole 1, collecting money and logging in players. "Cash only" would make sense. Though they could get a mobile card reader, it would hardly be practical.