• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

^ Agreed. As a teacher it felt like I was watching a presentation put together by students with a grandiose vision but poor execution desperately trying to make the minimum time requirement to get the C. My three suggestions would be include a chase card to give your announcers more to work with while players are working up to shots, use a proper scoreboard without the Hooters girls (keep it classy and professional) and keep the commentator in the group because it I think it will show the good spirit of the players, but make it a non-player. This way it won't affect play but you can still have fun. Barry did his best to balance both duties, but I really enjoyed it when he handed the mic off to Ricky.

There's a lot of possibly changes that can be made but I really hope this sticks and grows. Really want it to make ESPN2 so I can watch it at my family bar on Sundays :)

Documenting a sports event is about telling a story. Setting the stage, showing the action, updating the scores and then celebrating the winner. SpinTVs productions understand this. The ADGT video did none of these. The "review" videos from the prior days were just highlights and no substance. Action was poorly framed and the lack of video or walkthroughs of holes left even us DGers wordering what the holes are about.

I gave up after two holes. Super boring. Not informative.

The winner of the am divisions didn't get a trophy or something to commemorate their win? i understand a huge players pack and no payouts but hell get a cheap plaque or something.

Have one of your crappy disc and stamp the word champion on it, problem solved.

Yes the winner did get a basket. That was nice and they did a brief interview with him on the stream which was very nice. The event over all was nice just lacked a lot of direction when compared to other PDGA events.

Yes the winner did get a basket. That was nice and they did a brief interview with him on the stream which was very nice. The event over all was nice just lacked a lot of direction when compared to other PDGA events.

Was it a trophy basket(as in some sort plaque, sticker, or even hey this guy won our tourney scribbled in crayon)? Or just a regular salient basket? If just regular, I wonder how long before its posted on ebay....

Was it a trophy basket(as in some sort plaque, sticker, or even hey this guy won our tourney scribbled in crayon)? Or just a regular salient basket? If just regular, I wonder how long before its posted on ebay....

saw something on FB from whoever was claiming to be the Am winner, saying it was a salient basket, and was used....

The only and I mean only significant difference between this broadcast and what DGP and Smashboxx and Dynamic have done in the past is signal quality and thus picture quality. Well, that and fancy ESPN logos and graphics, which aren't aesthetically any different than what the others created for themselves.

Despite the promises, there was plenty of watching players walking down the fairway and milling around the basket. For the first couple holes there were almost no cutaways to commercials, B-roll footage of past rounds, or their profile vignettes of "Superstars of the Sport" like Greenwell, Climo, McBeth, Korver, Jenkins, etc. Just a lot of Billy talking while the players walked the 500 foot long fairway. On a positive note, those long shots of people walking were from a stationary camera zoomed in from 500 feet away rather than the occasionally nausea-inducing wireless camera bouncing along the fairway with the group.
Agree with this.
The picture quality was excellent. Better than anything I remember from any of the youtube/livestream crowd. Of course, that's to be expected when you have a wired connection to a satellite truck and you don't have to move your cameras all the way through the course.

The camera work itself was also quite good. Very smooth movement, very nice zooming, etc. Again, that's to be expected with high quality cameras mounted on sturdy tripods.

And there were several cameras, and most of the switching between views was very good. Camera 1 shows player throw, holds on player for a second after release. Cut to camera 2, zoomed in, following disc in the air. Cut to camera 3, watch disc land.

Unfortunately, a few of the cameras were poorly placed, so we couldn't actually see the disc land. We'd get a fantastic looking shot of the fairway while the disc landed in the valley out of sight. (Not to say that we don't lose track of the disc plenty with the youtube/livestream crowd, but I just kinda have the feeling that if you have multiple cameras and plenty of time before the event to scope out the best spots to set up, you should do a better job knowing where the discs are likely to land.)

saw something on FB from whoever was claiming to be the Am winner, saying it was a salient basket, and was used....

I'm about 98% sure that the basket that was presented to Ricky during the awards was the same one they holed out in on the final hole (and Boucher was shown removing from the green the moment after they finished). Whether that was just for show and he'll get a different one to take home remains a mystery.

They did post that the top ams and and top
Pros would be on ESPN. A good lawyer could get the entry fee of every am returned as well as probably travel expenses for not following through.

Also as for the rules issues. Maybe instead of banning me after only 1 post on their ADGT Facebook page for asking "why not use PDGA rules instead of the rules posted, as there are quite a few issues and holes in the wording"

Maybe instead of banning someone trying to help, they could have an actual conversation and work towards fixing the issues

I was gonna play, then they banned me over - question. I want no part of anything they ever do again.

I played in the event and the only thing I saw about getting on ESPN for the Am's was that the "top am's and Pros would be featured on ESPN3". So if an "Am" made a score to land him on the lead card, they would be in the final round. I think it could have been more clear but many people are taking that to mean that the Am's were guaranteed a spot, which wasn't the case. I would have to say that overall I had a great time. I treated more like a disc golf vacation than a way to advance my disc golf career. The course was amazing and beautiful, the people I played with were great as well. The first one of anything always has some kinks in it. I expect all of the O.B. discrepancies to be fixed, but we will have to wait and see if the other stuff gets fixed as well.

Except that there have been PDGA events doing the True Amateur thing for years (I've been doing it for a dozen years with my B-tier), so there's nothing "never seen before" about it. The nature of True Amateur is to return all value to the Ams in the form of player packs, with trophies and minimal/no payouts for the top performers. From the sounds of it, that's what they did (quibbles over the actual retail value of the pack aside).

Nothing the ADGT posted about the event suggested there would be big prizes for their amateur winners. In fact, there was barely any info at all about payouts, pro or am. There was however a lot of attention paid to (in fact a full description of) the amateur player packs. To me, that says it all.

If they did anything wrong with regard to returning value to their ams, it's not putting the leaders on the broadcast IF they in fact promised it to them. Other than that, I'd argue that any disappointment the ams have with their "payout" is self-inflicted due to poor assumptions.

:doh::doh::doh:

The whooshing sound you just heard was sarcasm flying over your head …

Steve Boucher is the Rob Liefeld of disc golf only without the Lee jeans sponsorship.

Chime in if you get that reference.

Got it lol!

Ricky's driving a Honda Element. Pretty sure he had to give that thing away lol!

I'm about 98% sure that the basket that was presented to Ricky during the awards was the same one they holed out in on the final hole (and Boucher was shown removing from the green the moment after they finished). Whether that was just for show and he'll get a different one to take home remains a mystery.

idk either, the guy left feedback on the buyer feedback group saying his trophy was a used basket, so i guess thats what he ended up with

Something to consider if you will. Pretty much everything, other than being Salient and having what is appartently a lousy product, has been done before. Big Media, Car giveaway, hype etc. All of it. The reason why the big boys, Innova, the PDGA etc. aren't having the same brain storm that ADGC is having is that they already did. It goes back to the 80s. What was learned from all those experiements is something these guys have yet to learn, and may not - disc golf isn't ready yet. What the big boys learned is that we have a lot of growing to do, and that takes time and experience. Salient didn't think of something new, and they aren't going to jump start the sport to greatness, they've just shown how out of touch they are with the sport and it's growth, that and a good bit of arrogance.

You don't go from single A ball or lower to the bigs in one step. It takes maturity and growth. Even supremely talented players are polished some on the way up. Even if the head of ESPN took up disc golf tomorrow and wanted it on mainstream immediately, he'd understand that growth needs to occur, and patience is of the essence.

If you look at what Innova has done with Spin TV, and even what Smashboxx and CCDG and PHP have done, it shows that they understand the organic process of growing a media presence for the sport. It denotes a maturity that says ease into it and learn the nuts and bolts as it goes. Look at teh ads as they are. I've watched them from the start, and OMG, the ads today are amazing relative to what was up five ten years ago. Some of that is the YouTube vibe, my 13 year old makes ads for his stuff on line, but most of it is just understanding the rate of growth that is possible. ADGC doesn't get it and from what I read, I'm not sure they ever will.

I sure hope that whoever did the Ultiworld article does a followup in a few weeks to see whether or not ADGT considered their efforts a success or not.

PS. Sorry, I was too lazy to go back and look at who wrote the article on here.

I sure hope that whoever did the Ultiworld article does a followup in a few weeks to see whether or not ADGT considered their efforts a success or not.

His name is Steve Hill. He posts here under the pseudonym of OneMileMore.

It's something I've considered. I also have a message in with ESPN, but I'm not expecting much.

Our official Ultiworld Disc Golf grade on the event overall: C-

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/05/16/reviewing-american-disc-golf-tours-espn3-debut/