• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

America's best Disc Golf Holes

I can say without a doubt that for West-Central Illinois, Wildcat Springs in Hamilton is hands down the best. Wildcat is such a beautifully crafted course that takes you to all corners of the park with all the holes having a unique feel to them. I personally like holes 1 and 10 the best. It is also my former "home" course, but I live in Macomb now. And although it may be off subject, Ft. Madison, Iowa, which is pretty much just across the river, also has two decent 18's back to back and Ottumwa, Iowa has three 18's which are all quite nice, especially the IHCC course.

I can say without a doubt that for West-Central Illinois, Wildcat Springs in Hamilton is hands down the best. Wildcat is such a beautifully crafted course that takes you to all corners of the park with all the holes having a unique feel to them. I personally like holes 1 and 10 the best. It is also my former "home" course, but I live in Macomb now. And although it may be off subject, Ft. Madison, Iowa, which is pretty much just across the river, also has two decent 18's back to back and Ottumwa, Iowa has three 18's which are all quite nice, especially the IHCC course.

gotta love it. brand new poster and already he cant read and understand the OP. he wants holes not courses. DER!

sioux passage #13, just a huge monster downhill drive. you will unload your bag on this hole and still want more of it. probably my favorite hole in st. louis

no one has mentioned #1 at Waterworks in KC yet?

#1 at Lake Casistas /Coyote Point DGC recently became my favorite.

#15 at Moraine (near Pittsburgh) has to be in the discussion.

#11 at Flip City with the rock gardens.

Last edited:
#4 at Blue Ribbon Pines
#17 at Bryant Lake Regional Park
#18 at Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area
#18 or #14 at Giants Ridge in Biwabek MN

Since you're heading to Seattle you'll probably want to play #18 (or is it #17 now?) at Mountlake Terreace in north Seattle. It's an epic downhiller but apparently the rough has grown up since I was last there so bring something expendable

@south city flyer: I have unloaded my bag many times on #13 at Sioux Passage, sometimes collecting all my discs and hiking the hill back up to throw again. It's not the biggest downhill shot, but the fact that the basket is easily reachable on a drive makes you want to keep going for it.

@discNDav: #15 at Moraine is gorgeous, and it's tempting to try and crush a drive to the downhill portion of the fairway from the gold tee. I think I got it onto the final slope only a few times. I prefer Gold 9 myself because it's a rewarding hole to birdie.

Some of my more memorable holes (mostly due to their difficulty and satisfaction I get when I finally get them right) include:

Wildcat Bluff in Iowa - #11 C position - requires a perfect drive just to get a look at a birdie 3 on this hole. It's really two midrange shots, but it's so tempting to throw a driver off the tee- then cry when you see where it landed.

Wildcat Bluff in Iowa - #14 C position - this one you can actually rip a drive on and boy oh boy can you get it down that fairway if you get a hold on your disc. It's always more fun to throw 400ft in the woods than out in the open.

Idlewild #11 - Perfect drive can get you a good clean look at a birdie 3 but the tiny island green can easily turn that run at a 3 into a 5 or worse.

Idlewild #16 long pin - Crazy snaky fairway in the woods. Gorgeous hole.

Brackett's Bluff in NC #10 - Craziest "green" if you can call it that. Basket perched on top of a huge boulder that is over 30ft high on one side and about 10-15ft high on the other. At best, after your upshot, you're still looking at a basket 10ft above you on top of a rock with a 30ft drop behind it.

Brackett's Bluff #11 long tee - To any of you that have ever played Ozark Mountain, this is like hole #5 at Ozark on crack. Not only do you first have to throw a drive down a long wooded tunnel off the tee, the guy that designed the course dug out a man made lake at the bottom on the left to catch any drives that hit trees or simply fade out left. Then the fairway slowly begins it's bend to the right in a valley surrounded by woods to a well protected basket. Absolutely brutal 678ft Par 5.

Brackett's Bluff #13 - Stunning fairway from the tee, absolutely beautiful but treacherous green carved out by deep ravines.

Nevin in Charlotte, NC #12 long tee - 900+ft par 5 with 500ft wide open rolling hills and another 400+ft through the woods. I want to play Nevin again (and I will) just to have another go at a birdie on this hole.

Renaissance in Charlotte, NC #4 gold layout - I think I got a birdie on this hole after throwing a great drive and then flicking my wizard down the hill, somehow avoiding the OB landing right by the elevated pin. This hole is brutal but so much fun to play.

There are many more, but I'm getting tired of typing, and I'd be surprised if anyone has even read this far. Lots of beautiful courses out there! Can't wait to play more of them.

Holes like that are too much of a gimmick, IMO.

#9 at Black Mountain, has a similar layout, where you can see the basket from the tee pad looking through a pipe. Thankfully, you're not throwing through there.

7d9007df.jpg

I wonder what the odds we're when I played there for the first time and shot my drive into the pipe. The drive was so much in the middle that I had to crawl into the pipe if I wanted my disc back and to shoot for birdie. I missed my birdie attempt but it still cool and I don't see anything wrong with a hole in that layout (IMO).

This one needs to go up there for unique-ness alone:

#12 at N. GA Canopy Tours DGC
0aad9b16.jpg

Iowa / Nebraska / Colorado

These might be on your route:

Sunnyside Park, Atlantic, Iowa: #12. Cliff shot.

Treasure Cove, Council Bluffs, Iowa: #12: Hanging basket under a bridge.

Hummel Park, Omaha, NE: #1: Steep downhill through the woods along an ancient staircase. This course is brand new.

Conifer, Conifer Colorado: #17: Huge downhill throw, and then back up a steep hill and through some trees.

Phantom Falls, Pine, Colorado: #10: Tough to pick a signature hole here, but this is a tantalizing hole on top of a huge mound about 200 feet from the basket. Very ace-able, but if you miss, you have no shot at birdie.

#3 at Flyboy Aviation is the prettiest on earth at the moment.

Sorry Bill, while that's a beautiful hole and I can't wait to play Flyboy I believe that distinction belongs to the Top of the World at Delaveaga. I've seen the pics from Stafford and Lake Casitas and they're close, but you just can't match that view of the cities of Santa Cruz and Monterrey, Monterrey Bay and the Pacific Ocean. This picture doesn't do it justice, the city of Montrrey is odd to the left and out of the pic.

tee27.jpg

Unless there's a hole in Hawaii that tees from the top of a volcano or something this is it.

Sorry Bill, while that's a beautiful hole and I can't wait to play Flyboy I believe that distinction belongs to the Top of the World at Delaveaga. I've seen the pics from Stafford and Lake Casitas and they're close, but you just can't match that view of the cities of Santa Cruz and Monterrey, Monterrey Bay and the Pacific Ocean. This picture doesn't do it justice, the city of Montrrey is odd to the left and out of the pic.

tee27.jpg

Unless there's a hole in Hawaii that tees from the top of a volcano or something this is it.

Yeah a better picture might help 'cause I'm not seeing it there.