• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Amoeba Stingrays

Rocaholic74

* Ace Member *
Does anyone know if Innova only made the Amoeba Stingray in DX or was there a small run of champion Amoeba Stingrays? I've alsways wondered this but just never asked until now. Come on all Stingray fans and disc geniuses.

There was no run made of Amoeba stamped Stingrays as far as i know. Champion type plastics came out way later. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Innova factory store make a run of them though. That's right up their alley.

The Amoeba stingrays were made in 88/89. I love em! As far as I know, champion wasn't available then...if there are champ amoebas I would love to know about it

Amoeba stingray was the disc John Ahart threw on the last hole of the 1988 pro world championships and he parked it to win. I think he was up by one going into the hole.

Can't have an Amoeba thread without at least one pic.
6097827813_fedfc44e3e_b.jpg

^That would be a dream come true. (as long as they are actually Champ Stingrays and not Super Stingrays)

So do you think if we got enough people together the Innova shop would run bunch of Champ Amoeba Stingrays?

They will if Stingrays are on the production schedule, and they are able to run them in that plastic.

I've been asking the Proshop for Champ Polecats forever. That's the answer they always give me.

So what's the difference between an Amoeba Stingray and a regular old Stingray? Other than one looks cooler :p

So what's the difference between an Amoeba Stingray and a regular old Stingray? Other than one looks cooler :p

Nothing, and the "cooler" thing is an objective opinion..one that I don't share. But if they could make Champ Stingrays with that old school stamp, I would get one for my wife as long as they had them below 170 grams.

Wasn't there a change to the Stingray mold at one point? I seem to remember hearing that they had a bead at one point.

Wasn't there a change to the Stingray mold at one point? I seem to remember hearing that they had a bead at one point.

They added a bead and called it the Cobra. When it went to Ontario mold they both went flat and stiff vs domey and not stiff. Most people loved the change to the Cobra but not to the Stingray so the Stingray went back to more domey and the Cobra stayed flat....for the most part, depending which run it was.

the star and super stingrays have a microbead and a straight slant to the rim, if you have a chance put one of the newer premi's next to a DX and you'll see the difference.

I was talking about back when it was the Amoeba stamp and all dx. Beyond that I don't know what they did to the mold.

The bottom piece of the stingray mold wore out so innova had to make a new mold. That's why new dx and star stingrays wing is convex and not concave.

Latest posts