• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Anyone else like the Focus?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was at a course on Monday that had a pro shop, and I had $10 burning a hole in my pocket, and I had wanted to try one, so I said what the hell. Pretty damn good putter, from what I can tell so far. Seems ever so slightly overstable, but I guess with wear, it will straighten out.

What happened to the magnet?!?!?!?!?

I agree with the slightly overstable comment. I'd say the Focus falls between the Challenger and APX (or Magnet) and is quite Wizard like. Too much fade for my putting preferences, and not as stable as I like for approaches. Not knocking it, but for me it simply dpesn't work as well as I'd like for either purpose. You could say I've never given it a fair shot, and you'd be right, but that's only cuase I like what I have and what to work at getting better with them, rather than getting used to something else.

Probably works better for those who slam chains when they putt, so it doesn't really have a chance to fade as it loses velocity. I don't putt like that (ain't got the confidence to).

Just my thoughts... YMMV.
:popcorn:

Last edited:
I love mine. They do start out a little overstable compared to something like an Aviar. But, after using it all summer, it has gotten beat in quite a bit. I really like the grip and feel of it -- because of the rounded vs. squared off edge, my release with the Focus is much more consistent than with an Aviar. It looks and feels almost indentical to a Wizard. Definitely my favorite putter -- makes a good match with the Ion. :thmbup:

Garret

I carry 3. I putt and appraoch with them. Love this disc. I actually bought 10 or so from DD when they were clearing out the Ace Race stamped ones. I have some freshies waiting in the wings. :thmbup:

Focus is a Banger GT without the GT, I am pretty sure. I liked the ESP Ace Race one that I had, but I carry too many putter molds already so I didn't stick with it.

Bert Brader, the Discraft-sponsored pro here in the Netherlands, putts with the Focus.

The Focus wing is different than the Banger's. It has a smaller bead and is more rounded. You made me pull mine out and compare because I've heard that in the past. The shoulder is taller on the Focus as well.

soft focus ftw! (and the ace!) i'm not surprised you like the focus- it's very similar to the magnet imho. it's still my upshot/ short driving disc.

Focus is a Banger GT without the GT, I am pretty sure. I liked the ESP Ace Race one that I had, but I carry too many putter molds already so I didn't stick with it.

Bert Brader, the Discraft-sponsored pro here in the Netherlands, putts with the Focus.

that was me who made the thread "focus a GT-less banger" but i didnt do much inspecting before i made my initial post. the banger DEFINITELY has a bigger bead, and the curve below the PLH leading to the bead is shaped slightly different as well.

that being said, i LOVE my focii. when they first came out i loved them, tried dropping them for a bunch of different molds, but came back to them maybe 2 months ago and i havent looked back. its the only putter ive ever felt like it was an extension of my arm/body. it just listens to what i want it to do and its such a good feeling. im a solid putter, not a GOOD putter, but the improvements since i added the focus again are exponential.

theyre more or less a wizard or BB avair, or a bunch of other molds ive thrown, but none did what i want/had my trust as much as a focus. keep throwing it midnightbiker, might make you consider divorcing your magnets:thmbup:

I think I like my putters on the overstable side. I didn't hate the Focus, but it wasn't quite as overstable as I was hoping. When it came out I kept hearing "Wizard copy" but it just did not have the fade of a Wizard.

That being said, it's a pretty OK putter. It didn't knock my socks off, but if I had to use one it wouldn't ruin my day. I just would choose a Wizard or BB Aviar over it.

What happened to the magnet?!?!?!?!?

I still have a beat to hell , Soft Magnet in the bag for understable putt and approach shots, and a Pro D Magnet for driving , and approaches, but for shots 30ft and in, and putts on a hyzer, I am really liking the Soft Focus.

soft focus ftw! (and the ace!) i'm not surprised you like the focus- it's very similar to the magnet imho. it's still my upshot/ short driving disc.

Seeing you make that 205ft Ace with the Soft Focus, was what really got my attention about this disc. I had never even seen one, till that day we played out at Windwood.

that was me who made the thread "focus a GT-less banger" but i didnt do much inspecting before i made my initial post. the banger DEFINITELY has a bigger bead, and the curve below the PLH leading to the bead is shaped slightly different as well.

I missed that thread, a friend of mine told me that about the Focus once and when I compared them they looked pretty similar. But I do not have one to look at now, and I have only recently gotten better at checking out small details like that, so I will trust you guys. Maybe let me save face a little by agreeing it is more like the Banger GT than any other Discraft putter?

Anybody feel like briefly breaking down the Focus in relation to the other popular discraft putters (Magnet/Challenger)? I'm thinking of making the jump, the lack of glide on the Voodoo is starting to irritate me.

...and please don't prerube me, I'd like current opinions since molds can be variable. :)

I have this love triangle (well, square actually) going on right now between the JK, Focus and Wizard. I'm about to drop the JK though. The Focus, to me, is basically a seasoned Wizard. Great putter, no doubt.

anyone know if all the ace race d-focus are nice and flat..almost concave like a yeti? i got one from a buddy and it feels great! but have felt some production run pro-d's and they just arent even close to the same. no way they could knock my kc's out for putting duties but they could give them a run for their money on drives.