• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone try to throw left handed?

PanicKJ

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I just started throwing left handed. I am right handed of course. I am actually amazed at how much it helps to have a short left hand approach shot. I have always felt that a hyzer shot is more accurate than a anhyzer shot for me. An anhyzer shot just doesn't have the same forgiveness that a hyzer shot has. For example, if an anhyzer shor flexes out then you are left with a long putt.

Right now my range left handed is short however after only a few practice sessions I am comfortable enough to throw left handed in a tourny, did it three times in a tourny this weekend.

Any one else start adding left handed shots into their routine?

Last edited:
I play left-handed all of the time! Of course, I'm left-handed so...oh wait, not the point of the thread? I did try to throw right handed and it was about like seeing a 7-year old girl throw a disc. Not pretty.

I can only throw thumbers left-handed, albeit with limited distance. Everything else just seems to turn 90 degrees relative to my target.

My friend and I try this on really short holes. I don't think I'd ever use it in a tournament. Maybe when I get better with it I will

Yeah I have been practicing with left handed throws. I have started out with easier discs to throw like mids and putters. Working my way up to drivers. Just need to work the left hand just like the right. Go through the motions and steps. Don't start off trying to throw a boss or something like that lefty. But I do think it's nice to have a left handed throw. I think it gives you an advantage over people who don't. It's always good to have another type of throw in your bag.

I have always felt that a hyzer shot is more accurate than a anhyzer shot for me. An anhyzer shot just doesn't have the same forgiveness that a hyzer shot has. For example, if an anhyzer shot flexes out then you are left with a long putt.
Hyzers are more accurate because they are more predictable and therefore easier to control. I'll go so far as to say that if you have a big hyzer shot available to you on an approach (when hitting chains is highly unlikely), anything else is the wrong choice. Watch the pros to verify this.

For throwing lefty... well I want to try it but haven't yet.

I started throwing right handed because my left shoulder is jacked around March. I can throw around 200' with my right now.

I am a natural righty, but i throw DG lefty.
I will occasionally throw an approach shot RHBH, but it has to be wide open and the only path. Never in a tourney.
It sounds like a good idea to develop the short RHBH for better accuracy, though.

I am right handed.... I took 2 of my nephews and my son discing for their 2nd time.

I gave them the option of my handicaps. 1. I play with an 18 stroke handicap or play them straight up lefty.

The chose me playing lefty. On this particular course I usually end up -2 to +4 depending on the day. I thought it would have been easier than it was. I know the proper technique enough to throw 325-350 on average so slowing down and playing from the opposite side shouldn't of been that hard...

I won by two strokes @ +21. Out of the round I would say I had 3-4 shots that actually worked they way the should have. Putting... fugetboutit... I have seen that much fluttering since I saw the butterfly exhibit at the Pacific Science Center.

pw

I think I'm going to try this on shorter approaches that call for it, when I go out in a few. Never tried it before, this should be interesting. It could be a good fix, to my as of late poor short game anhyzer lines.

Never been motivated to as I've developed a good anhyzer RHBH, but it sounds fun. Reminds me of skateboarding switch...you already know the technique, you just have to re-implement it in a way that feels new.

I'm a righty at most things but I disc golf lefty. Unfortunately this means my forehand throw is done righthanded so I have two shots (LHBH and RHFH) that both go the same way. I did try throwing forehand with the left hand last night so I can have a shot that turns left and it was ugly. I'm gonna keep working on it though.

i recently tradhrf my right middle finger and beign a prodominate RHFH Player this was almost like carreer sucide....so i then made the attempt to throw LHBH and i am actually getting it most throws go about 250' and some get up to 300' but my accuracy is horrible.... can't wait to get back to my forehand shots tho.........

I can get about 75 feet on my left handed throw. I have never really tried to use it for disc shots though. I can see how it might be benificial when stuck behind a tree and you just can't get a good right handed throw in. I might have to work on it a bit.

I haven't tried to throw with my left hand because I have developed a strong FH for short hyzers where there isn't a good anny line. That gives me the ability to use my dominant hand and not have to learn my non-dominant. There are quite a few things that I just can't do with my left hand.

Is there much of an advantage to throwing lefty if you have a strong FH? Seems to me that they produce the same lines.

I cant even putt from 10 feet left handed, much less trying to drive... If I ever lost my right hand/arm it's over for me as far as DG goes. (knocks on wood)

i can actually throw pretty good with the left arm, as long as i'm not trying to bomb it. when i just focus on the mechanics i can get a nice, flat trajectory though...

Interesting, I was just talking to some people on the course yesterday about throwing left-hand. I said if I broke my right arm I would still play DG left-handed, so I went home and tried. Pretty embarrassing, my dog giggled in his dog way of giggling, luckily no humans were around. I could putt ok, but anything other than a putt was just horrible. I hope nothing ever happens to my right arm, knock on wood. I would need lots of practice, that's for sure.

Biz
Team Bert

Latest posts