• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are all Swords...

DiscNutt123

Double Eagle Member
...this perfect? I've got around 425' +/- golf distance. I bought a VIP Sword from someone for $5. First throw was on a 400' hole with a slight hyzer. It popped nearly flat and just glided for days and parked right under the basket with an easy 70% power throw. It's 176g and looks new. Are Swords all like this brand new? If so, I just replaced my Destroyers.

Yes, they are! Once a VIP beats up a little, its a great tailwind/turnover disc, unless you like the pretty TP and they start out a little flippy. My favorite things is they are HSS resistant at for like the first 250', then have a slight turn, and solid fade.

I don't know about all of them (first runs are more like Giants), but most VIP Swords are awesome. I carry a 175 for controlled D and a 169 for max/tailwind D and long turnovers.

Better weigh that thing before you use it in a tourney just in case, max sword weight is 176.0.

How flippy are the tournament ones compared to opto? Like tourney warship to opto warship? Those are like two different discs.

How flippy are the tournament ones compared to opto? Like tourney warship to opto warship? Those are like two different discs.

I'd say so. My TP Sword flew like MY Gold Line Bolt...pretty flippy. My VIP is way more stable, like a nice Destroyer.

I've never thrown a TP Sword that I would call flippy (I have three: 175, 174, & 172) but definitely a little less stable.

I've had similar experiences with both plastics, but VIP was a touch overstable compared to TP. The glossy TP (like the new pearly Gold line discs) I have thrown aren't as grippy as the matte yellow ones. I now carry exclusively in TP yellow at around 170-171g. I have found the best throws I get with the Sword come with a powerful nearly flat release, mild snap, and strong follow through. My average throw is super straight with amazing glide reaching about 400ft.

To me the sword is just a tad less stable than the trespass. Both are fairly straight with the trespass having a little less turn and more fade.

I'm guessing the Giant is a good overstable compliment to the Sword?

Absolutely. I've had Swords in my bag for a while and I've messed with a lot of overstable compliments and the Giant is by far the best I've found. It can both work for more overstable lines than the Sword in normal conditions and fly straight and long into the wind.

I used to love my 174 VIP sword. It was definitely my driver of choice.
Now, after much use, it's a bit flippy and I can't always depend on it and that makes me a little sad. I want to trust it, I really do, but if it's a tourney round it stays in the bag.

Yea i replaced my swords with the trespass, little more stable, like a seasoned destroyer out of the box. and for my turning distance driver i use a Prodigy D4, great disc.

They do break in 'some' - definitely the TP moreso than the VIP, but yeah - the Sword definitely rocks; incredible glide, really easy distance, and great for hyzer-flipping. My only problem with them is the lack of headwind resistance - so I use a Trespass for something very similar but more OS. You may find that the Sword doesn't resist a headwind like your Destroyers - depending on which plastic Destroyer you throw.

...this perfect? I've got around 425' +/- golf distance. I bought a VIP Sword from someone for $5. First throw was on a 400' hole with a slight hyzer. It popped nearly flat and just glided for days and parked right under the basket with an easy 70% power throw. It's 176g and looks new. Are Swords all like this brand new? If so, I just replaced my Destroyers.

They do break in 'some' - definitely the TP moreso than the VIP, but yeah - the Sword definitely rocks; incredible glide, really easy distance, and great for hyzer-flipping. My only problem with them is the lack of headwind resistance - so I use a Trespass for something very similar but more OS. You may find that the Sword doesn't resist a headwind like your Destroyers - depending on which plastic Destroyer you throw.

I did see this to be true. It's not as HSS as my Destroyers. But I think I'm gonna put a Giant in the bag for this. Good Destroyers are becoming too pricey to replace. Time to switch.

the blood red vip swords are where it's at. i had some super tasty opaque blood red ones that were heavenly.

I love my purple tp sword. Give it some hyzer and it flips up flat and goes for days. Throw it flat and get a nice turn out of it and fades back straight. throw it with a little anhyzer and it has a nice smooth long turnover that doesn't fade out. I've got my longest throws out of it and it has a firm place in my bag. I also have a few trespasses in my bag as they have more fade with not as much turn.

Tasty!

the blood red vip swords are where it's at. i had some super tasty opaque blood red ones that were heavenly.
596092_BLOOD-THIRSTY-VAMPIRE.jpg

Uh, the sun's coming out! lol

Latest posts