• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arroyo Disc Golf Basket

Thanks. Man, that's a crap load of chains! I welcome any basket that has improved catching ability. My ace count might be +4 if the baskets were arroyo.

This basket looks amazing, and I cannot wait to check it out! If you are sooo against it without seeing one, you should probably hop in your Model-T and get home for the evening radio programme.

I guess ill get out and check out the OG monthly. Maybe :) Awe hell the Vortex will be there. I'm in!

Yes, the price includes either a sleeve and locking pin, or a portable stand. We have plans to release a true, top level, all metal portable with one gauge smaller metal and a split pole for $250, but no timeline for that yet.

I would be very interested in an all metal portable basket!!!

Gentlemen, gentlemen! We will eventually be getting a basket to both areas, possibly even splitting our time and doing the monthly and SVO if we can get another basket here. It's important for us to show SD because of all the new courses you guys are constantly working on, and it's important for OG because we're changing the sport from where it began... but most important is for us to have a polished product up for sale in the next month. That's where the majority of our focus is. Until then we only have one of our prototypes left to show you, but don't fret! You'll all see 'em soon enough ;)
SVO is this upcoming weekend, is there a realistic chance to see a Vortex on display? I think this would be good publicity to get the word out. I'm not sure if there's any course in the works in San Diego, I've heard some rumors, but would like to see the Vortex as an option for the next course to go in down here.

I like the chasity belt, it adds a visual to see the basket from a distance. I kinda enjoy the rejection noise of (another player) hitting the chasity belt, DENIED! However, I did see two putts today hit the chasity belt and actually go in and I also had 3 putts with my Omega SS go through the side of the basket. If players aren't paying attention I could have easily got away with a putt(s) (lol). I also like the ring around the top they had on the Mach IIIs at Worlds this year. So is the Vortex spacing still wide enough to get wedgies? I like the idea of having a third center ring, but I see that your not going that way. I do like the powder coated Mach III's, the choices of color, and the ring on the top and the number plate on top (as long as the edge is protected). Hope to see some of these characteristics added/optional for the Vortex.

SVO is this upcoming weekend, is there a realistic chance to see a Vortex on display? I think this would be good publicity to get the word out. I'm not sure if there's any course in the works in San Diego, I've heard some rumors, but would like to see the Vortex as an option for the next course to go in down here.

I like the chasity belt, it adds a visual to see the basket from a distance. I kinda enjoy the rejection noise of (another player) hitting the chasity belt, DENIED! However, I did see two putts today hit the chasity belt and actually go in and I also had 3 putts with my Omega SS go through the side of the basket. If players aren't paying attention I could have easily got away with a putt(s) (lol). I also like the ring around the top they had on the Mach IIIs at Worlds this year. So is the Vortex spacing still wide enough to get wedgies? I like the idea of having a third center ring, but I see that your not going that way. I do like the powder coated Mach III's, the choices of color, and the ring on the top and the number plate on top (as long as the edge is protected). Hope to see some of these characteristics added/optional for the Vortex.

Any options beyond what you've seen will be sold a la carte based on who is making the purchase. Realistically we won't be at SV, but we will get down to San Diego soon. And no, the spacing on the Vortex cage is not wide enough to get wedgies and we're shrinking the holes a little more by adding the extra spokes.

Vortex Pre-Order Form

Hey guys, so for all of you that have been following this post and are interested in making a purchase of basket(s) our Pre-Order form is now up on our website. I can also email it to you if you send me a PM.

The Pre-Order is NOT a commitment to buy baskets from us. It's merely a way for us to collect the info of those of you that are interested so we can stay in touch as we get closer to production, as well as get an idea of how many baskets we may need to produce right out of the gate.

So please take a second (literally it will take you seconds) and fill it out and send it back to me at [email protected]

Here is the link:
ADS Website

Here are the official PDGA specs if you want to see how the Vortex compares all the other baskets out there: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_targets_073011.pdf
I noticed two things that stand out on the Vortex compared to most other baskets. The first is that the basket is made out of aluminum. What were the deciding factors in choosing aluminum and what are the pros and cons of using aluminum? The second is that I see the Vortex has 20 outer chains. Wow, that's alot. With that many chains one might be a little concerned about the tension and with soft putts. But I see that you have addressed this in previous posts. What made you decide to use this many chains? Did you test out different numbers, say 12 or 16?

Let's turn the tables on myself and bring up another idea.

What if baskets were used in conjunction with hole design/course design?

An Arroyo basket on an elevated green, a Mach 1 for a deathputt-green, etc.

Maybe the problem here is just how it's marketed - don't call it the basket to "catch everything" because that's not good for the game. We need it to be a sport, not something that EVERYONE can do on a high level. If we reduce the gap between top tier pros and the average joe we are condemning ourselves to forever be a fringe activity.

What if it's marketed as the basket to catch harder putts and spit touch putts? What if they also make a model which catches lob putts and rejects harder putts? More creative minds will realize that this can be used in conjunction with course design to further force shots.

We already applaud courses that force you to throw different drives, why should you always be allowed to throw the exact same putt? Golfers don't do this - they must play the slope and speed of the green to put it in the cup. Make the game harder by saying "here you must use touch, here you must be firm with the putter"

I see this a being a progressive step forward...thoughts?

This totally shattered my grey matter. My name is Craton, and I approve this message, and am going to bed to see if maybe I can keep the remaining brain cells I have from completely collapsing after thinking about this post...

This totally shattered my grey matter. My name is Craton, and I approve this message, and am going to bed to see if maybe I can keep the remaining brain cells I have from completely collapsing after thinking about this post...

:hfive:

gawd that basket must weigh a ton with that much chain!

watching the vid, it seems like not a single putt penetrated to the interior of the chainset or got very close to the pole.

Perhaps that's why they chose aluminum, to offset the weight of the extra chains?

It looked to me like a fair amount of Will and Nikkos putts were getting to the interior set of chains.

Perhaps that's why they chose aluminum, to offset the weight of the extra chains?

It looked to me like a fair amount of Will and Nikkos putts were getting to the interior set of chains.

Their stronger putts were definitely making it to the inner set of chains, but not PAST the pole, which was one of our ultimate goals.

The choice to use aluminum was made without much consideration to the amount of chains, because one of our original ideas stemmed from moving championship caliber temp baskets, or changing positions on a permanent course. Those made completely out of steel can be moved by one person, but with a lot of exertion and potential for hurting yourself. It can't be easily done if you're in the older or younger age brackets, and usually requires two people to do comfortably. By making the Vortex all aluminum we've made changing layouts, setting up temp courses, and moving your own portable around your backyard much less strenuous.

The approximate weight of the whole basket, with chains, is around 45 lbs. I'll get you. a breakdown soon.

so whats the cost of the color option gonna be?

Colors will not be an option for individual baskets, only bulk purchases, due to cost... that being said, you can have multiple colors in one bulk order. We've been quotes $12-$14 per basket for an order of 18. We are taking a basket over to the powder coater soon to get an exact quote. And we will also get a quote for only doing 9 baskets too.

Id love to get one.. Its just the matter of getting the wife on board with the idea. Hmm my birthday is coming up... maybe If I get nothing for that the basket gets to be on the list. Good Idea.

How soon until we would be able to order one of these?

What is the benefit of me buying one to practice on, unless they replace them at courses as well?

Wouldn't that somewhat make it easier to practice at home, and harder when you get to the course?
A great solution for spit outs, but only if they're at the course, of course.

Latest posts