• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atlanta(5/28-5/30)

Connor Jones

International Hair Champion
Gold level trusted reviewer
I will be in the Atlanta region solely for disc golf purposes starting very early on that saturday morning,I plan on booking my hotel tomorrow,the first problem I'm having is,what is the best centralized location?

For times sake,I'd really like to get in the following:

JP Mosely
Redan
East Roswell
Alexander Park
Wills Park
Lenora Park
(I know a lot of these aren't really "in" atlanta,so to speak,but it just seemed like the best starting point)

And anything else I may have time for.

I'd really like to jam all of those in to saturday and sunday,and I'm going to try and call Kelly tomorrow to see if he'll be at Flyboy for monday.

My main issue right now is trying to figure out what hotel location would be the most convenient for those courses.

At least one(maybe two)friends and I will be arriving around 9am or so,so after we get settled in,if anyone's up for a round to guide us or something,that'd be great.

Thanks, :)

Connor.

As soon as you figure out what day and time you're playing Moseley let me know. I'm making the work schedule at the pool I work at and will make it so that I can come play with you guys. Also, McCurry is pretty sweet (home course bias and all :p lol).

We could probably do McCurry either on the way to ATL or on the way back home,I hadn't looked at anything on the way,or outside of a 25 mile radius,I'll try to have some sort of schedule tomorrow :)

Here's what you do:

Head to Wills Park first thing Saturday morning. Wills is a good one to start on as it is shorter but somewhat technical. Play a round (or two) there, then head a few miles down the road and go play East Roswell. ERP is a tight woods course, so your game will need to be on point from Wills. Play as much ERP as you can handle, then drive out to Alexander using whatever route Google recommends and grab lunch at some point on the way (I recommend Monterrey Mexican restaurant, just across the street from ERP. If not, there are plenty of other options between ERP and Alex.) Play Alexander until dark, then find a hotel somewhere in Lawrenceville.

Sunday morning, wake up and head to Redan. Sunday P-nut doubles start at 10 if you're interested. Then before you get too tired, head from Redan down to J. P. Moseley, eating somewhere in between. The Mose is the toughest (and longest) course on your list so be sure to save some energy for it; if you don't, you'll wish you had. Play a round there and decide if you want some more. Then congratulate yourself on your two-day tour of Atlanta.

The problem with Atlanta disc golf is that it is terribly decentralized. The answer to your actual question would be to find a hotel downtown, but that'd be a 30-45 minute drive to every course on your list. This itinerary would take you clockwise around the Metro area, minimizing transit time. It skips Lenora, but you can add that in before Redan on Sunday if you want. Good luck.

You my friend,are a legend.

Exactly the kind of post I was looking for,I'm going to check this out,and probably do that route.

Thanks so much.:D

Sounds good. PM the schedule to me and I'll do my best to play a couple of courses with you guys, but I think the only time I really have available those three days is late afternoon on the 28th so hopefully it'll work out.

McCurry is ~40 min. from Moseley. Both courses take about 2 to 2.5 hours if played in a group of 4 having fun, might be able to get them done in 1.5 hours if everyone hauls butt.

I would definitely skip Lenora. 18 holes of wide open. The challenge is not to get bored on this course.

I agree GT Chris on his itinerary but would add one more if you so desire a solid challenge to add to your northern swing. If you plan to go up to East Roswell and Wills, add Sequoyah Park to your trip. Sequoyah is only about 12 miles up from Wills but adds a decently challenging 18 holes. This is my home course and would be glad to meet up and play a round with you if you do add it.

My Personal favorites (that I have played) around Atlanta in order :

1. Sequoyah (probably biased being my home course but I still haven't parred this course)
2. East Roswell
3. Wills
4. Alexander

I haven't been to Mosely or Redan(bot now have a desire to play:)) yet so no comment for me on those. I have no desire to play Lenora again unless I had a new long distance driver that I needed some extra space to learn how to properly throw with zero risk of losing it.
Flyboy...Well you just gotta do that!

I have built up a solid route,and i'm thinking something like this.

Day 1(Sat.)

1. McCurry Park
2. Wills Park
3. East Roswell
4. Alexander

At this point a hotel somewhere in Atlanta.

Day 2

5. Redan
6. JP Moseley

Since those seem to see more time consuming,that'll probably be most of the day.

And i'm about to call Kelly at FB and hope we can get that monday on the way home :)

I'm going to be In Atlanta at some point this summer, and the thread has great course suggestions. Does anybody have advice on a store with good disc selection. I always like to drop in because there is not a store that sells discs in my town and I like to hold a disc before I buy it.

Disc Stalker is right next to Alexander.
Disc Caddie in Marietta is in the front of a general sporting goods store, but they've got decent selection and are accommodating.

Conner, if you're not going to dubs on Sunday at Redan, PM me and I'll play with you.

We will play Alex with you.

Be prepared for a long round there, 12 person rainbow hyzer groups are the norm.

IMO I would skip Lenora, its not really anything special. Open fields with some nice shots. I could possibly meet up and play a round at alexander or redan depending on when your playing. I haven't played central but hear its a good one to play.

We will play Alex with you.

Be prepared for a long round there, 12 person rainbow hyzer groups are the norm.

:D,sounds like a blast,we'll plan on it.

Just got off the phone with Kelly,I will be playing Flyboy on the 30th at 10 am :)

If one other wanted to tag along that might be okay :p,I'm going to have at least one person with me,maybe two,but the second is doubtful :thmbdown:

we just got back from that area

we played lake russell, sandy creek and the idgc in georgia, we wanted to play flyboy, but Kelly was in South Africa.
We also played va-du-mar, glenn c hilton and rankin lake as well

Just a few days away now,getting very stoked.
I've sent out quite a few PMs,i'm hoping to meet quite a few people this weekend,everything is completely finalized and i'm hoping the weather is nice,it appears that it will be storming on thursday and friday,so as long as it avoids the weekend i'm happy :).

Day 1(Sat.)

1. McCurry Park
2. Wills Park
3. East Roswell
4. Alexander

Day 2

5. Redan
6. JP Moseley

Day 3

7. Flyboy

We'll be trying to get to McCurry at 8 am or so,so everything after that will just be depending on travel.

Wills park is my home course, so I know that area pretty well. It's definitely an enjoyable course, not on the level of ERP but definitely enjoyable. But, as much as I love Wills, Central Park up in Cumming is a far better course than Wills. You could also argue that its better than East Roswell, but they're completely different from each other. ERP is heavily technical and well-maintained, while Central is a long, more untamed beauty.

Another very underrated course is Sequoyah. It's definitely not on the level of ERP or Central, and I would likely pick Wills over it too, but it's worth mentioning. If you have some time to kill, it's somewhat close to Wills. Another course to think about is Northwestern Middle School. It's just a 6 hole putter course, but you can practice your putting and it doesn't take much more than 20 minutes to knock out. And its 5 minutes away from Wills Park.

And I can't say much about any of the other courses, but I've heard nothing but good about Alexander.

Have fun!

I would love to keep going north,but our hotel is actually in Lithonia,which is nice because Redan is right next to it almost. I would love to play more courses but it's just about time at this point,I might try to squeeze in some more on sunday given the level of energy we have.

Thanks for all the help everyone!