• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Avenger SS - Share Your Thoughts

Keith H

Eagle Member
I looked and didn't find a good thread dedicated to discussion of this disc.

Ok, so the Avenger SS is not the hottest new disc out on the market, but it must be doing OK because it survived the most recent round of purges by Discraft.

I have had an XL or Avenger SS in the bag for the majority of the last 10 years probably.

I know for big arms it is probably too flippy but I suspect for a lot of folks this is a workable control driver.

Do you bag it now? Have you bagged it in the past? If so, what pushed it out?

What plastics do you like? Which ones not so much?

Any specials or pretty one to post pics of?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this disc?

Give me your thoughts.

Last edited:
TBH I've never used one, but I play a bit with a guy who uses one for his main driver. He has a decently good arm, but a robotic motion that takes some distance off. He gets s slight hyzer 350 out of it, but if he overcooks it it will turn a lot. Seems like a good intermediate disc, but if you can crank it's probably not the way.

I like the AvengerSS. I mainly use it for rollers, I typically don't throw air shots with a disc that understable.

The avenger ss holds a special place in my heart. I got one in pro d for like 3 bucks at academy sports when I first started playing. It was the first driver that I could throw far consistently. As it got more beat in it became way too flippy so I decided to upgrade to an avenger ss in esp. I still kept the pro d in the bag for a back up. As I got better I discovered the hyzer flip on accident when I was messing around doing field work. So fast forward today I still have that first pro d avenger ss but not in my bag. I accidentally left that esp one on the course and never go it back. I still bag an avenger ss for rollers and big turnovers. I believe this disc should be the first distance driver for all new players. You will be able to throw it straight at first then as you get better you can learn different shots with the same disc shuch as rollers and hyzer flips.

I have two AvengerSSs, one of them in Titanium plastic and the other in Z plastic. They are both very good discs. I'm not sure why they're not in my bag right now, except the Sphinx is close enough to them to make them redundant.

I have a Z Avenger SS and I loved it. When I started playing disc golf I mostly threw forehand shots. When I learned to throw backhand this was the disc I used. I don't bag it now but occasionally will bust it out for a round or 2. I will always have a special place in my heart for the Avenger SS!

Avenger SS was my first driver I ever bought, and have kept one or two in the bag since. It's my roller and hyzer flip tunnel just go straight disc with really minimal effort. I know if I'm not having a good round with the Nuke's I can rely on the Avenger SS and slow my game down, focus on smooth is fast and just let er go.

One of the first drivers we bought when we started. It was also the first distance disc I could get to go right. It's a solid choice in the right plastic and weight. I haven't bagged one for years. I have ddx that took that understable distance driver spot now.

I know a Cousin has an Avenger SS in his bag as a driver after his Surge, his fastest disc in the bag. He got the Surge mold back when it was one of the fastest molds on the market. He uses the disc in the way that most people use a Valkyrie as he can do some kind of power hyzer flip thing with the disc.

I want one in Z FLX plastic. Emailed them, they said they aren't planning to do that. Need more people to email them and ask for it!

I threw the ESP Avenger SS for a few years. I found it to be really touchy, it of course was flippy buy it was unpredictably flippy for me. I just never really had any confidence in them.

The AvengerSS was the first driver I enjoyed to throw. My first one was a green Elite Z, max weight. What drew me to it was I could release it on an anhyzer and have it carry the line. Or, I could throw it straight and watch the disc fly forever. It was about as perfect of a beginner driver mold as one could have.

A couple of years ago I received two in ESP FLX. I don't toss them as often, but when I do I love how effortless they can be thrown.

the Avenger SS (ESP Flx) is one of my go to molds...

excellent bh and fh and will actually correct itself mid flight out of a nose dive to glide out longer... so useful

and yes, a little touchy... it's the one mold I lose most often

and yes, a little touchy... it's the one mold I lose most often
You wouldn't have that problem if you watched where they landed. :|

*once spent ten minutes looking for an Avenger SS Noill threw into the woods and didn't watch. Before he says it didn't happen, it was on the 4th of July at Marengo and he kept getting distracted by spiderwebs he thought looked cool (SQUIRREL!) and other things in the woods while I looked for his Avenger SS. mashnut was there and would totally back me up if he would ever login again.

An ESP Avenger SS was my first understable driver. Got some really nice distance with it, but it was touchy for me also. Was a fun disc to throw though.

I have since moved over to Sidewinders and Roadrunners. I have no complaints.

I only throw about 300' bh and use the avenger ss in different plastic for most of my bh drives. the flx and ti has a descent stability for my and fly straight with a little finish. The z is real straight. esp turns but comes back a little at the end and the x turns over. I keep a fresh x pop top in the bag to hyzer flip for open distance which isn't that far.

I've had ESP, ESP FLX, and a Cryztal. The first two never made the bag permanently but I liked them. For some reason the Star Beast just fit better. My Cryztal was lost in the drink on 18 at Selah Creekside. I'd love to get it back but haven't had the chance to go back to recover it.

I am currently bagging 5 of them, they are my main fairway driver and my favorite disc. I can't see anything replacing this mold.

The Z I throw on tunnel shots in the woods in the 250 to 300 range. I try to keep it low 5 to 10 feet off the ground. It mostly a straight /hyzer flip disc. My current one is about 1 1/2 old, Sad day when I threw my old one in the pond. The current one is right about where I want it.

The Glow I got back at the beginning of the summer after spending about a year in the swamp. It tombstone in the muck and the part that was stick out got sun faded and the other 1/3 the stamp looks like new. I am still trying to work it back into the rotation. Basically it a more stable Z that fades out a bit more than the rest.

The really really beat in ESP, I've been throw for 4 years. It is the flippest of the bunch. I have thrown and rolled this so many time it just feel like second nature. Mostly its my roller disc that will always finish right. I also use it a long dog legs right.

And then I have two other ESP that I have been working in as back-ups to the flippy flippy one. I've had these for two years. They are somewhere in between Z and beat in ESP. Most used for rollers or hyzer flips with a straighter finish.

And I tried to roll the Z plastic but just didn't feel good on the hand.