• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

A con I posted in the forums for my backyard course. I did not take off any rating score though ;)

That's pretty good.

I complained about that, and the sometimes lack of maintenance, in the cons on my private course.

(10 years later, I still frequently complain about the grounds crew, when I'm playing).

Freakin' course owners...acting like they ...own the course or something. :wall:.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest points I've ever seen in a review.

Somebody please add that to the Classic Review Lines thread. I'd do it myself, but I'm on my phone and about to drive home.

A secondary window should come up when someone tries to give their first 5.0.

To be fair, a 2.5 is described as decent/typical on the drop-down, not average. 3.0 is described as "Good". I tend to use 3.0 as a default for "competently designed using space that's available with no glaring flaws/problems/neglect".

I think my personal ratings go something like this:

0-1: Garbage course that is incomplete, dangerous, or abandoned. Should probably be pulled and have its equipment recycled (maybe, if it's not garbage itself) into a new course unless it's a couple of local gals and guys trying to will a course into existence.

1.5: Course offers little more than baskets to throw at and practice. Serious design flaws and flow issues. Maybe play it to bag a course or it's within walking distance from your place.

2.0: Course provides an actual round of disc golf to play, but it's very basic. Holes are repetitive and boring. Good course for locals to throw into rotation for variety and practice but never something I'd take a visiting guest to. Better than nothing. Many missing quality of life items, if any, such as tees, signs, bathrooms, etc. Maintenance likely spotty and the course is likely neglected.

2.5: Course provides an actual round of disc golf to play and has a small handful of memorable or challenging holes. Is likely a course in transition, either a good course that's starting to fall into disrepair and decline or a new course that's building itself up and adding items as funding and volunteer time become available. Course is likely geared towards beginners but may have some unfortunately challenging holes that feel out of place.

3.0: Course is fun with no glaring issues. It's not perfect and some items like tees or pads may be missing, but it has some of those features. Course is made up of a combination of decent land and clever design. Roughly half of the holes are at least interesting. To me, this is an average course that likely has a small group of people looking after it in addition to a city maintenance crew. Likely the level that will begin to see league play. Course is great for a beginner but likely not much of a challenge for an intermediate-advanced player.

3.5: Course is fun and has that little bit of something that makes it special. Most holes are interesting with no more than 2 or 3 "fillers" that were likely included due to flow. Good enough to attract a league and not a bad choice for a tournament. Several quality of life features present like bathrooms and benches, as well as course structures like pads and tees. Problems may still be present, but they are more than balanced by the good points of the course. If you're in the area, you should make a point to play the course.

4.0: All holes have *something* interesting or challenging. Course is on attractive land and the holes have excellent design. League support is significant and major features you'd expect are present. May not be perfect, but you can tell that problems are temporary and likely to be fixed in short order. The course is worth driving a solid hour to try out or worth a road-trip stop on a disc golf trip.

4.5: Like 4.0, but nearly perfect. Absolutely minimal flaws if any. Excellent design. unique land that is well suited to disc golf. This is a course that is loved and nurtured and cared for. It's not a park, it's a disc golf course from its core. It's a course you plan a trip to the city in order to play it and should be on every serious disc golfer's bucket list.

5.0: I'm going to stay with "nearly perfect" because life tends towards entropy and there's not a darn thing you're going to do if you show up on a rainy day. This is a course that's so good it gives you something you didn't even realize you wanted or needed when you play. It's not a game, it's an experience. I think it's not a score that will be standardized for everybody. I think it's a score a course achieves when everything aligns and you just leave with a different perspective.

These aren't hard and fast. Being really strong in one area can shore up something that's missing in another. Seasons can really come into play - a muddy mess in spring may be a glorious splash of fiery color in the fall. A fair bit of score just comes from how a course makes me feel during and after playing it. I think a 4.5 vs a 5.0 will tend to flip-flop for a lot of people because of taste. Probably true for most of the .5 increments. I also think my view has evolved as I have played more and more courses. Frankly I'm strongly tempted to go back and re-review some of my earliest courses based on the perspective on "typical" having shifted from playing an additional 20+ new courses, but I think I'd need to replay them first to give them a fair shake. I imagine if I traveled and played as much as somebody like Valkyrie or some of the others that have dozens of courses under their belt that view would be even more realigned and nuanced.

1-UP, That's a solid methodology to go by imo. And yes, you will likely find that as you play more courses, your tastes will continue to evolve. I hope you post and update a bunch more reviews.

i think an aspect of reviews that produce a lot of disagreement is how to factor for challenge and intended skill level.

on one hand, i'm tempted to say that a course that is the best of best must be able to test the best of the best players too. this implies that the rubric includes a direct variability between rating and overall challenge.

on the other hand, i'm sure most of us have played a course that wasn't a challenge for us personally but was the perfect level of challenge for the level of player for whom the course was designed. city park courses or especially school courses often fall in this category. should a course that does exactly what is it supposed to do be docked just because an open level player would shred it?

further, is there a way to introduce categories for course design to the course pages here on DGCR? could each course (or various layouts on a course) get a designation of gold, blue, white, red, etc and could you then use those as search limiters and see the designation listed on the browse map info bubbles.

a possible problem is how to deal with courses with multiple layouts. maybe in the future such courses could even have separate reviews/ratings for the various layouts and perhaps also a combined score that could be an average or not.

i don't think that's true overall. courses he and i have both played i usually rate lower than him. he's just got his own rubric and it is geared more towards fun and ease of play for traveling players.

I think dreadlock's description of my rating philosophy is better than anything I couldv'e could have come up on my own. It's probably spot on!

Yea, probably call BS on the local's rating and TVK's playing the course before it was open(if the local was correct in that assessment. Maybe he got lucky and got to play with some of the "Theys"...??). After looking thru the pics, TVK is probably about right when he said it would be closer to a 4 but definitely not a 5, imo. An above average park course is the impression I got from them.

Wow, You mean someone actually reads these things!

I don't mind so much with the guy awarding his course a 5.0 but I was a little put off by his questioning whether I actually played the course or not? On the last day of my recent road trip, I drove to this course early in the morning, walked the 1/4 mile to the start only to find the gate locked. As I was walking back, I ran into locals Brie and Jerome coming to play it. After 20 to 30 minutes, Course designer Jason ( jasonandsharon on DGCR) showed up and unlocked the gate for four of us to play. And this was one week before the official opening. And during our round, we all chatted with Jason a couple of times. I told him I was thinking 3.0 or 3.5 and he seemed OK with that.

It's a nice course but it's not Harmony Bend, Flip City, Idelwild or Hillcrest DGC on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

And I believe my rating might end of being be on the low side but I believe that long walk in is a major con.

I cant disagree with you on that. I've played a couple courses that had long walks either to the first tee or back from the last basket. Plus, I always seem to get put on the hole farthest from HQ before tourneys.:wall:As a bigger guy, it kinda sucks being out of breath before you even start, or having to drag yourself back to the car after a long round.

Once upon a time I was thinking about doing reviews/ratings based on how fat guy friendly the courses are but once I got more serious about the game, I didn't think it would be a good idea. Also, after seeing how angry the locals get when their favorite courses get derped, lol...

Absolutely! I know reading you, Davetherocketguy, Bogeynomore, and a bunch of others were what I used for examples of what a "good" review should contain.

In a more general note, I always read the course reviews when planning a trip someplace. I know I can only drag the family to one or two courses in an area and it helps me narrow down what's worth the trip and what's pedestrian enough to give a pass.

Absolutely! I know reading you, Davetherocketguy, Bogeynomore, and a bunch of others were what I used for examples of what a "good" review should contain.

In a more general note, I always read the course reviews when planning a trip someplace. I know I can only drag the family to one or two courses in an area and it helps me narrow down what's worth the trip and what's pedestrian enough to give a pass.

STOP IT YER MAKIN ME BLUSH

:p

Yes, very much so.

When I travel it is supremely valuable that folks such as yourself, wellsbranch, swatso, sidewinder22, c_a_miller, MrFrosty, Pizza God, Bogey, wolfhaley, jtwinnova, etc. have reviewed so many courses over such a wide area.

That allows players to "calibrate" each reviewer and make better decisions about the limited time we have on this earth to travel and throw Frisbees.

Disclaimer: Me not mentioning someone's name on this quick post when I should be working does not mean I don't appreciate your reviews. :thmbup:

A fair bit of score just comes from how a course makes me feel during and after playing it. I think a 4.5 vs a 5.0 will tend to flip-flop for a lot of people because of taste. Probably true for most of the .5 increments. I also think my view has evolved as I have played more and more courses. Frankly I'm strongly tempted to go back and re-review some of my earliest courses based on the perspective on "typical" having shifted from playing an additional 20+ new courses, but I think I'd need to replay them first to give them a fair shake.

I concur with that whole post, but especially this quoted segment - I am one who is attempting to refine and improve my own course reviewing protocol (part of which includes refraining from reviewing a course I had just played in sopping wet spring conditions), and have actually gone back and edited some of my early reviews because after thinking about them, they weren't really fair or accurate, or dinged courses for stuff like missing baskets that have since been rectified. I support you doing so as well!

I also agree with how a course made me feel impacting rating...one low review I realized I had left after simply having had a crummy time that day at this course, but I still occasionally played there, and realized that one round was just a "bad day" thing...I could read my own palpable (and frankly irrational) frustrations all over this review.

Last edited:
I'm just glad I can do for others, what others have done for me:
• Point people toward the courses they want to spend time on.
• Help them avoid courses they don't want to spend time on.
• Provide enough info to evaluate them which is which for yourself.

Conciliatory

I guess I should have titled this thread... Bad/Homer/Whiney Entitled Disc Golfer Reviews...

I know I tend to be overly conciliatory and I don't know that reviewer but I tend not to be as harsh. In a certain light, I can see that saying that you have to contact the owner is a Con although I'd probably say it was a "factor" rather than an actual con (meaning that it wouldn't change my rating of the course but it might determine whether I play the course or not). This light/factor is that when I am doing a course bagging trip, I really don't have an actual schedule. I might go faster or slower depending on traffic, how each course plays, weather, etc so I'd prefer not to play a course where I have to coordinate with the owner. I don't want to bother someone if it turns out that I might not show up at all or that I can't really predict when I might arrive. I have played private courses (both ones that charge and ones that don't) and did coordinate before I visited. But on one trip, I had a choice of two courses in one area I was passing through: one private and one public. The private one sounded nicer but I didn't want to coordinate so I selected the public one (which was only okay). So again, I don't consider it a con against a course but it is a factor in my decision-making. A private course has every right to do things the way they want. Of course, since the main page tells you that - it really doesn't need to be called out in a review. So I can see why people thought that it is an invalid Con and I agree that it would never affect my course rating (just as the weather on the day I go would affect it). I just didn't hit me as whiny.

Looks like we have a serial drive-byist…

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=91530

Hotel Hershey
Title: Not bad for a 9 hole
Review: Pros: Very nice park Well maintained Several different shaped shots
Cons: Natural driving pads Only 9 holes
Other Thoughts: Fun nice 9 hole park with many different shots to play
Rating: 4.5??????

Maybe he was using a scale of 10???

I played this course once and I would say it was a "typical" course, whatever that means.

Last edited:
I played a round with Wellsbranch today (my first round since my car accident last fall) and told him about an encounter I had with some of our "fans" at Bob Gardner last summer. They had played a round with Mark earlier that year, and had said that whenever they travel around Florida to play they use Marks and my reviews to help them to choose which courses to play. (I use Marks reviews to decide where I want to play too and many other of you already mentioned in this thread). I tend to make my reviews shorter more summary type reviews if the course is heavily played and reviewed and focus on the overall experience and noting any updates to the course. I would tend to make a more detailed review of a nearby new course. So yeah people read these things and use them. I'm about to start using them again myself. Time to start bagging again and get past that 200 (DGCR) played barrier!