• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Being Competitive???

Do you play to win, or do you play to have fun?

• Total voters
I usually play to win until I'm out of contention then I play for fun.

It really depends on the context for me. When I'm on a road trip playing new courses, I'm just out to have fun and enjoy playing somewhere new, but if I'm playing in leagues or a tournament I definitely play to win.

edwards_herman0108.jpg

Enough Said.

On top of that, if I am playing to win the game I am usually having fun. If I am playing to just have fun, I am probably not playing.

Then again, is there ever a time I am not having fun when I am playing Disc Golf?

It really depends on the context for me. When I'm on a road trip playing new courses, I'm just out to have fun and enjoy playing somewhere new, but if I'm playing in leagues or a tournament I definitely play to win.

Same here..Most of the time for fun and sometimes to win.

I wan to crush the people I am playing against. I want them to leave feeling beaten and slightly confused by how badly they got beaten. I want to make them weep.

Of course that only applies to tourney rounds, during casual round I don't care at all about winning since I am usually messing around with new discs or working on shots.

I wan to crush the people I am playing against. I want them to leave feeling beaten and slightly confused by how badly they got beaten. I want to make them weep.

Of course that only applies to tourney rounds, during casual round I don't care at all about winning since I am usually messing around with new discs or working on shots.

Ditto

have fun.

taking the game too seriously takes all the fun out of it.

also, won't join the pdga until the local club gets a non-******* president, then maybe i'll play in local tourneys plus our a-tier.

I'm not a pdga member because I don't think I'm good enough yet.

That's what Rec and Novice divisions are for.

I disagree. I take my 5 and 6 year-old out to the course about once a week Spring, Summer and Fall. I play along with them I'm not trying to play my best...I'm teaching them the enjoyment of the game and working with them to learn to play their best.

I very rarely go 100 percent at playing...whether its a league, casual round with friends or the occasional tournament. I really do play because I enjoy playing, because it is relaxing, because I enjoy nature. You don't have to be competitive every time out on the course.

In an educational setting as you described, I think what you are saying is applicable. I have been in that situation with friends and newcomers many times. Maybe it's just semantics, but I think it's the distraction of playing with kids/beginners and not having the flow/pace of a regular round that can cause you to not play as well as you can. Even when I am in those situations I still try to throw each disc/shot as well as possible, regardless of score or anything else.

Of course I may feel totally different when I have been playing for 30 years :thmbup: congrats on that, I hope I am still in the game when I am 53.

Is it sick that I want my vote (play to win) to win the poll? I am right there with most people, tourneys want to win, practice rounds have fun and learn new stuff.

I am boycotting the poll til more options are added :)

I can have fun without winning, I can win without having fun. I play to win because that's when I play MY best. You can spout off all of this non-competitive mumbo jumbo, but whether you realize it or not you are at least competing with yourself every time you play. No one goes out to play and says 'Gee I only feel like playing to about 60 percent of my ability today.' Unless you are one of those people that 'play disc golf' as an excuse to drink beer.

edit: I was going to point out the spelling mistake but didn't want to be 'that guy.' Thanks!

Well spoken!!!!!!!!

I play to win!!!!! I am always having fun!!!!!

That's what Rec and Novice divisions are for.

In an educational setting as you described, I think what you are saying is applicable. I have been in that situation with friends and newcomers many times. Maybe it's just semantics, but I think it's the distraction of playing with kids/beginners and not having the flow/pace of a regular round that can cause you to not play as well as you can. Even when I am in those situations I still try to throw each disc/shot as well as possible, regardless of score or anything else.

Of course I may feel totally different when I have been playing for 30 years :thmbup: congrats on that, I hope I am still in the game when I am 53.

Another good quote!!!!! I play with my kids all the time(3&7)!!! We hold nobody up !!! And I play my shot to the best of my ability!!!

I play to win baby!!!..........but I probably have the most fun doind it!!!

Everytime I jump in the carpool to head to the course (5-6 days a week) it's just as sweet as it was the first time. Can't get enough!!!

@ Airmcnair and slowroll...

I have been thinking about coming up for the Bowling Green Am Championships this spring for the first time. Have either of you played it before and do you recommend taking the time off to come up? How are the courses/weather that time of year in KY?

Thanks!

You should definately set aside the time and play in this one. And get it right, in the spring, it's called "Blowing Green"... so be prepared to play in big winds. Ephram White especially can be a real beating if winds are above 20mph or so. :doh:

Everyone should attend this tournament at least once in their life. Last year I didn't play, but still made the drive up to shop at the Fly-Mart with my sons. And last, make sure you pre-register asap. It always fills up quickly, so get your spot early and enjoy yourself.

:eek:I play to have fun. Just started playing in tourneys this winter and I like the competive side of the game too. Even though I haven't won one yet, I like to use it as motivation for playing better. Someday I'll come in top 3 of novice... someday... :eek:

I find myself playing rounds where pulling off the shot is more important than competitive play. My score normally suffers, but the opportunity to make big shots happens more often. To me, I want to know I can pull the shot off with the right disc. The same mentality occurs when trying out a new disc. I want to see what the disc is capable of, so I constantly gamble when throwing newer plastic. Yeah it's having FUN, but I learn more during this time. Being competitive is not a time to learn, but competition is more more fun when I am comfortable throwing the discs and shots I know I am capable of producing, which was learned by screwing around.

Most new players that get caught in the rough, I just tell them to put their shot in the fairway. Take the shot and learn, rather than get a tough outcome from taking a tougher utility shot.

Another good rule of thumb is playing alone. It is very important to have a chance move at my own pace. I try to even throw solo "hollywood doubles" rounds to get the most shots in for practice sake.